Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Scattering Ashes - Public Place

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Scattering Ashes - Public Place

Postby BobbyD » March 26th, 2018, 2:42 pm

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 29th, 2018, 7:44 am

I wish there was someone who could take my ashes, split them into 10 equal sized "portions" and scatter them along my 10 favourite walks or favourite spots on those walks. I better make a list now just in case.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 29th, 2018, 8:37 am

Snorvey wrote:
JMN2 wrote:I wish there was someone who could take my ashes, split them into 10 equal sized "portions" and scatter them along my 10 favourite walks or favourite spots on those walks. I better make a list now just in case.

That'll be handy if those paths tend to get icy.

Happy to help, hopefully at Horsley Jubilee Trail and along Mariners Hill, Crockham Hill and Toys Hill.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » March 29th, 2018, 10:16 am

There's a coastal path from Tobermory pier out to the Lighthouse that has become a quagmire in places, and my wife refuses to walk that way. Now if there are a lot of you out there who feel that you are about to expire soon, then a collection of your ashes could possibly provide better drainage. There's no point in me volunteering, because I hope to walk that way again.
P.S. our next visit will be early July - so it would be convenient if the necessary deposits could be organised before then.

Coleywife

Postby Coleywife » April 10th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Thought this might be hard to read as my husband died only recently - but some of it actually made me smile. He is currently with me and I am looking for a suitable container/place and your posts did not help at all although I was momentarily flirting with the doorstop idea - not really!
Our wishes are that once I am gone, a group of friends will take our ashes to Venice and scatter them in the Laguna. An amount of money has been left for them to do this and have a nice time in Venice, seems to me I might have to increase the amount to include a possible fine.
Anyway - wherever we are scattered, nothing gets lost in Universe!
Coleywife

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » April 11th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Coleywife wrote: a group of friends will take our ashes to Venice and scatter them in the Laguna. An amount of money has been left for them to do this and have a nice time in Venice, seems to me I might have to increase the amount to include a possible fine.

Coleywife

To avoid the fine, add €350 to the after event hooley expenses for your friends and, Venice will grant a licence for your wishes to be met. Ashes In Venice.

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » March 9th, 2019, 10:36 am

I'd like my ashes to be used as a bit of fertiliser under a pretty rose bush. Preferably deep red, nearly black roses. Or maybe a peony bush. Then the bees would come and take some pollen and fly off into the wind with some of the essence of my soul. Never to die but to be spread forever (probably on toast as honey).

And a hug for you Coleywife. (((x)))

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 9th, 2019, 11:45 am

Lootman wrote:My mother in law was in a tin can for several years before we got around to interning her in her desired way. Her remains were a door stop for the longest time. The front door, at that. As guests arrived, they would be introduced to her. Reactions varied.

Putting her in a tin can was interning her. You then, I imagine, set her free, in a sense anyway.

Dod

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » March 9th, 2019, 1:43 pm

A friend of my fathers who was keen on shooting asked that his ashes be made into shotgun cartridges and fired over the moors where he had enjoyed his sport. I remember my dad and several of his pals, all of whom, including the deceased, had been in the Home Guard during the war, setting about the task but, as those of you who may have loaded your own cartridges know, it is a laborious task especially when you realise the amount of "ash" you have to get rid of and the size of 12 bore cartridges. After about four hours of this and still having almost a half a box of ash left it was decided to ask a local gentleman who happened to have a working cannon whether arrangements could be made to use the cannon to finish the job. Consent was given so my dad and the rest of his British Legion pals duly sent Bert off on his final journey with a very loud bang.

R6

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » March 9th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Dad died a year before mum but my sister and I wanted to scatter their ashes in the same place. Dad sat on a shelf in my sisters lounge until joined by mum.

We chose a small river that ran through a park on the outskirts in Sheffield, It was a favourite place of ours when we were growing up and the river ran through the area where mum and dad spent their early years, where they met, courted and married. It also went past theiir work places for most of their lives and where they had raised my sister and I.

It was a lovely spot and relatively quiet, we waited until there as no one around and poured their ashes together into the river so they mingled. The sun was shining and a robin was sat in a tree watching, we could hear a blackbird singing. It was quite satisfying knowing we had done our best for them.

It was slightly disconcerting that most of the ashes ended up on the river bed in a big pile, I expected them to wash down river in the flow but they didn't. The first time the river rose it would have dispersed them so it wasn't a major concern.

We never asked permission. MIL wanted her ashes scattered a few hundred yards away in a wood. We didn't ask permission then either.

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » March 10th, 2019, 10:28 am

Rhyd6 wrote:....ask a local gentleman who happened to have a working cannon...

Does anyone else find this somewhat disconcerting?

Anyway, thanks for the thread resurrection as it's come at a particularly pertinent time for me so re-reading the tips about permission and avoiding eddies if it is blowing a hooley (or wear grey) will be borne in mind.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » March 10th, 2019, 11:26 am

No need to de disconcerted AP, said gentleman has been dead a long time. I only heard about this at the funeral of his son, another somewhat eccentric gent, apparently he also wanted his ashes fired from the cannon but his wife decided she'd rather have him fertilizing her roses. Takes all sorts :D

R6

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » March 10th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:No need to de disconcerted AP, said gentleman has been dead a long time. I only heard about this at the funeral of his son, another somewhat eccentric gent, apparently he also wanted his ashes fired from the cannon but his wife decided she'd rather have him fertilizing her roses. Takes all sorts :D

R6

I was more disconcerted that someone has a working cannon lying about than the actual use of it.

"Knocks on neighbour's door"
"Yes"
"I don't suppose you know anyone round here that has a working cannon do you"
"Actually, I think I've got one in my shed. Let's take a look...aah, yes, under this gangplank and crow's nest. That was some Stag do, I'll tell you"

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » March 10th, 2019, 2:05 pm

AP the family in question come, I syppose, under the heading landed gentry. They have the big house, which these days they've had to split into apartments because of death duties etc. I'm not too sure how they acquired the cannon but as one of their ancestors fought with Wellington at Waterloo opinion is that he fancied a souvenier so bagged himself a cannon, as you do!

R6

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 10th, 2019, 3:36 pm

AndyPandy wrote:I was more disconcerted that someone has a working cannon lying about than the actual use of it.

Back in the 60s, a friend of my father, who was a historic gun collector and civil war re-enactment type, made a replica of a period cannon. Somewhere I have an 8mm film of it being "used" during a re-enactment of a battle at Belvoir Castle :o

Slarti

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”