Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Stephen Hawking RIP

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Stephen Hawking RIP

Postby Slarti » March 14th, 2018, 10:40 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43396008

I went to a public lecture by him on what was in a black hole, when he was in his mid 20s, and although his speech was already getting a bit difficult to follow he was a very entertaining and though provoking speaker.

I also read Brief History of Time, when it came out and he managed to make me think that I understood it when I was reading, though it was all over my head later.

A great scientist who will be missed.

Slarti

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Stephen Hawking RIP

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 14th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Alternatively, celebrate his 50+ years of "borrowed" life beyond what his disease should have left him, and what he achieved in that time. The greatest of minds in the most crippled of bodies.

I still remember seeing him semi-regularly in the wheelchair and with his entourage when I was a student in the neighbouring Pure Maths department. I only vaguely knew who he was back then.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 14th, 2018, 6:05 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Alternatively, celebrate his 50+ years of "borrowed" life beyond what his disease should have left him, and what he achieved in that time....

Not to mention the fun he must have had...

When Hawking wasn’t changing the world, he played himself on TV. He was hilarious.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/3/14/1 ... ohn-oliver

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » March 14th, 2018, 8:23 pm

He actually said that he was lucky his disability didn't affect his thinking capabilities.
Lucky to only have only motor neurone disease? Man that's something. A genius with a touch of Nelson Mandela.

A great man.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 12th, 2018, 11:01 am

I came across an interesting and amusing story last week regarding Stephen Hawking, discussing the time in 2009 that he threw a party 'for time-travellers', but didn't release the invitations until after the party had taken place.

If there's any better evidence that time-travel will never be possible, then that's probably it, given his prominence in scientific circles -

Theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking likes two things: simple experiments and Champagne. So he combined the two and solved one of humanity’s age old questions: Will humans ever be able to time travel?

Hawking threw a Champagne party for time travelers complete with Krug and hors d’oeuvres in 2009, and didn’t release the invitations until after the party had taken place. If people had shown up, he hypothesized, it would be proof that time travel is real. Since people didn’t show up, time travel is not real, probably.

https://vinepair.com/articles/stephen-h ... vel-party/

Great to know that such a cruel disease didn't diminish his impish sense of humour, but I think there's also a very real and serious idea behind the plan that he had...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » May 12th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Had I been able to attend I would definitely have had a punt on this lottery

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”