Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Meyer Lemons

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Meyer Lemons

Postby Clitheroekid » April 26th, 2018, 2:36 pm

A chum in sunny California sent me this link, which I thought might interest a few readers (as well as being appropriate for this site!) - https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article ... yer-lemons

Apparently, Meyer lemons are considered the bee's knees in the US, but I had to admit that I'd never heard of them.

Has any other Fool ever tasted one or come across them in the UK? I'd like to see if they're as good as they're cracked up to be.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Meyer Lemons

Postby bungeejumper » April 26th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Halfway between a lemon and a mandarin, apparently, and originally native to China. (Sweet lemons?) Tesco made a big hoo-hah about stocking them, about four years ago, but they seem to have disappeared from the shelves now.

I think there are still some suppliers on Ebay, though. Or you can buy the miniature trees at your local garden centre.

BJ

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 10th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Doing a search on '"meyer lemon" shop UK' suggests they were being sold around 2013-2014 by Tesco and Waitrose amongst their 'finer' offerings. They don't appear to stock them now; perhaps they're not mainstream enough to justify air-freighting them over, and they had a brief 'moment in the sun' [hehe].
Google suggests you might be able to buy them via ebay.co.uk though buying fruit via them seems unorthodox to me. If you have a greenhouse perhaps growing a tree might work? I've previously had success growing a lime.

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » May 10th, 2018, 5:53 pm

The smell of them is the real difference. It is sublime.

Now you've made me want one of those trees. I wonder if it could thrive in our climate.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”