Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Please can we start the day over again?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Please can we start the day over again?

Postby kiloran » May 9th, 2018, 10:50 am

I'm not happy.
Went for a haircut this morning, and parked the car in a quiet, wide sideroad. All the space in the world, very few other cars. Got back to the car, started it up and saw this wild-haired woman running towards me, waving a piece of paper. Wound down the window and she explained that she'd scraped my car and had written her contact details on the paper. A big scrape on the offside front corner. Goodness knows how she managed it, she was driving a camper van but there was a good 50m in front of me so it's not as if she needed to squeeze into a tight space.

Went off to B&Q to get some stuff for the garden and while browsing the weedkillers, I felt something on my shoulder. Bird crap! There was a big pigeon sitting in the roof above me.

Got the trolley to the car and lifted a bag of lawnfeed into the boot, not noticing there was a hole in the bag and granules were being sprinkled everywhere. At least my boot will be moss-free and lush green.

I'm going back to bed, I've had enough of today.

--kiloran

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: Please can we start the day over again?

Postby brightncheerful » May 9th, 2018, 11:13 am

Yesterday evening circa 18:45, final back-up of the day of my imac computer, the external hard-drive (EHD) suddenly makes a strange sound. I eject drive, disconnect, reconnect but the EHD won't mount. Breathe in, take a break for dinner. Finish dinner after The Archers. Resume. Hunt around for USB cable, i use Thunderbolt but EHD requires USB for diagnostic checks. Cannot find. Swap drives, Red light moves. No joy. Fortunately I have another identical EHD so use one of the drives in that, still no joy. Try getting faulty EHD to work on different imac, no joy.

Try twice all tests that manufacturer suggests on its EHD support site, also search internet for comments from others; none of which mention the problem. Give up. Check whether still in warranty. Attempt to log in to manufacturer's site. Password not found. Click forgot password, check email, enter temporary password and change to old password. Refused. Try new password. Says account holder out of date apparently.

Decide reluctantly to use the other identical EHD so installed that. Back up using Time Machine takes me to midnight.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 9th, 2018, 11:17 am

kiloran wrote:I'm not happy.

--kiloran

I've had days/weeks/months like that!

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 9th, 2018, 11:19 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:

--kiloran

Looking on the bright side, you haven’t mentioned years or decades etc.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 9th, 2018, 11:28 am

It's only a matter of time...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 9th, 2018, 12:32 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:

--kiloran

Looking on the bright side, you haven’t mentioned years or decades etc.

Bunch of lightweights. I need to restart my lifetime. :(

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 9th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Try holding both your ears flat and pressing your nose - you should reboot with a clean OS

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 9th, 2018, 1:04 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Try holding both your ears flat and pressing your nose - you should reboot with a clean OS

That calls for three hands.

TJH

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 9th, 2018, 1:15 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Try holding both your ears flat and pressing your nose - you should reboot with a clean OS

That calls for three hands.

No, it's dead easy. Use your hands to hold your ears flat, approach neighbour's house and press your nose up against their window... Only results in rebooting if you've done it before, though - otherwise you only get a booting!

Gengulphus

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 9th, 2018, 1:24 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Yesterday evening circa 18:45, final back-up of the day of my imac computer, the external hard-drive (EHD) suddenly makes a strange sound.

1. Shut down iMac, unplug EHD, restart iMac, open Activity Monitor App and make sure it is showing "All Processes" (View Menu -> All Processes).
2. Plug in EHD, leave enough time to mount in normal circumstances. If it fails to mount again look at the list of running processes in Activity Monitor. Can you see one called "fsck" or "fsck_hfs"?

If there is a running process called fsck or similar, then your EHD is being checked by the System for errors. This check can take ages for a Time Machine drive because there are literally millions of files. A Time Machine drive I recently worked on took 24 hours to complete the check and repair for about 600GB of backups. So you might need to let your machine run until it's finished. When/if the check/repair is completed successfully the drive should mount almost immediately again.

If there is no fsck process after plugging in the EHD and the drive is still not mounting there may be another issue.

GS

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » May 9th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Can you see one called "fsck" or "fsck_hfs"?

Thank you for your input. I'll experiment using my other imac.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 9th, 2018, 5:20 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
Can you see one called "fsck" or "fsck_hfs"?

Thank you for your input. I'll experiment using my other imac.

[OT]

No problem. Just by way of background, and I don't know the technical details so will put this in informal language: when a drive is ejected normally, with all operations having completed, it is marked "clean" before ejection. Then next time you mount it the "clean" status is noted and a full consistency check is not required.

On the other hand if the drive has some kind of failure, is unplugged/switched off or fails in some other ungraceful manner it does not get flagged as "clean". Then when it is next mounted a full check has to be done before mounting. My theory is that this is what is causing your mount to "fail" -- or, actually, to take so long that it looks like it's failing to mount.

GS

P.S. If you want to speed up the consistency check there is reputed to be a way to do it using the Terminal App. The method looks quite kosher to me but:
1. it is a bit technical
2. I've never tested it to see if it really makes much difference (though some who tried seemed to be very relieved at the time saved).

Given the above caveats, if you are interested I can point you in the right direction, otherwise if you follow the steps in my last post and give it enough time (using spare machine as you are!!) it should work fine.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”