Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The good thing about today....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

The good thing about today....

Postby Leothebear » May 19th, 2018, 8:48 am

....is that shopping in Tesco, Sainsbury's et al will never be easier around midday.

Nice day for it!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: The good thing about today....

Postby Itsallaguess » May 19th, 2018, 8:53 am

Leothebear wrote:
....is that shopping in Tesco, Sainsbury's et al will never be easier around midday.

Nice day for it!

Across the country, British people are readying themselves for a once-in-a-lifetime fridge-cleaning moment.

There are few occasions in an everyday working person’s existence when they seriously consider getting all the bits out of the fridge, putting the really rank stuff into a plastic bag, and then giving it a really thorough wipe down with a bottle of squirty cleaner.

Perhaps even removing the particularly scuzzy see-through drawers, and leaving them to soak in the sink.

For most of us, simply ordinary folk whose lives are seldom touched by mouldy onions and multiple jars of out-of-date curry paste, the days when doing all this seems appealing are very few, and so very far between.

But Saturday is one of those days....

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 0518173128

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 19th, 2018, 11:07 am

Well, I'm singing in a concert this evening. Which means rehearsal after lunch, and in turn, lunchtime occupied with a light bite and with heading off into town. So no happy shopping here.

On the plus side, there's no question of missing anything I'd like to listen to on t'wireless.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 19th, 2018, 11:12 am

Leothebear wrote:....is that shopping in Tesco, Sainsbury's et al will never be easier around midday.

Nice day for it!

[Bitter Lemon Mode]
There is never a nice day for shopping
[/Bitter Lemon Mode]

--kiloran

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » May 19th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Finally we get a fresh dose of new blood into the royal family, to liven up the old stiffs, shake things around a bit. Too much already German lineage, good to have some southern colonial at last, judging by the minister they had dragged from over the pond, shouting and hollering sweet Jesus to the congregation!

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 19th, 2018, 12:44 pm

JMN2 wrote:Finally we get a fresh dose of new blood into the royal family, to liven up the old stiffs, shake things around a bit. Too much already German lineage, good to have some southern colonial at last, judging by the minister they had dragged from over the pond, shouting and hollering sweet Jesus to the congregation!

I think the Rev Michael Curry was the star of the show. Absolutely stunning, full of passion and emotion, and a complete contrast to a traditional state wedding. Must have been a shock to some of the staid traditionalists.

Give the man a knighthood.

--kiloran

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 19th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Is it all over?

Dod

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 19th, 2018, 2:44 pm

No. Evening kick off 17:15
C'mon you ...erm...hate both teams

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » May 19th, 2018, 2:50 pm

I agree with the comment about the over the top commentary (vom) but everything else about this wedding is simply fabulous.
Faultless.
Nobody does it better the British.
Congratulations to everyone concerned.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 19th, 2018, 4:06 pm

kiloran wrote:[Bitter Lemon Mode]
There is never a nice day for shopping
[/Bitter Lemon Mode]

But there are less bad days, and this was one of them.
Fully stocked shelves, most things with long dates, very few people in the way and an attractive cashier who cheered up at the sight of something to do - well Mrs S said he was an attractive young man.

Cut a good 20 minutes off our shop.

Slarti

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » May 19th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Apparently Elton has played some piano at the lunch(eon)...Rocket Man!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 19th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Beerpig wrote:I agree with the comment about the over the top commentary (vom) but everything else about this wedding is simply fabulous.
Faultless.
Nobody does it better the British.
Congratulations to everyone concerned.

Thanks Beerpig, I did wander down there on Thursday to check everything was in order -looks like my hard work paid off :-)

(I think royal weddings are best viewed from a distance of minus two days...)

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » May 19th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Well, we had a fabulous day. Met friends for walk through Nercwys Woods with all the dogs then adjourned to a decent pub for lunch and a front row seat for the wedding. The Southern Rev. was a hoot, he reminded me of the hell fire and damnation vicar we had in our local church when I was but a nipper. I half expected him to lead the congregation in "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands". We all agreed that the actual ceremony was crap, sorry but much prefer the traditional James VI version with or without the obey, this one seemed as though they were making it up as they went along. The bride looked beautiful and the groom seemed as happy as Larry, I really do hope they make a go of it. Caught a glimpse of Victoria Beckham, honestly she could curdle milk, can't she even bring herself to smile on such a happy occasion?
The barbie is coming along nicely, several friends and family members are making their way up to us and as the pub is still closed it looks as though the celebrations will be held here. I hope you all have a great evening and for those of you interested in the match good luck to which ever team you support.

Cheer

R6

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 19th, 2018, 5:38 pm

What wedding? What bride?

Haven't turned the telly on, and have no intention of doing so until Tuesday at the earliest. Spent the day in the veggie patch, where those of us who don't get bankrolled by the public purse spend our leisure time earning an honest parsnip or two. The wife says that Meghan (whoever she is) was wearing the exact opposite of Diana's giant meringue costume, which I suppose must have been a good start?

Seriously, good luck to both of them. Neither of them has inherited much of a role-model family culture, so let's hope they manage to produce something a bit more normal than any of their forebears. (And I'm talking all the way back to George I here. Although, come to think of it, he couldn't stand his own children either..... ;) )

Right, that barbecue in the garden won't light itself. At least, I hope not.

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 19th, 2018, 11:05 pm

Strewth! Taking a bit of time to relax between rehearsal and performance, I heard some excerpts on the 6pm news.

Some soprano solo singing something I didn't recognise - possibly Handel. And in a few seconds excerpt, she kept losing it and going bloomin' flat! Not half as bad as the one who sung at Trump's inauguration, but still ... Has singing in tune gone out of fashion for public occasions?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 20th, 2018, 9:45 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Not half as bad as the one who sung at Trump's inauguration.

Count your blessings. It was either her or Kanye. ;)

BJ

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 20th, 2018, 10:03 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Has singing in tune gone out of fashion for public occasions?

There seems to be a reluctance to sing to the tune as composed. They all want to add some embellishments, which are not needed.

Sopranos who lead the National Anthem at international matches are particularly guilty.

TJH

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 20th, 2018, 10:15 am

tjh290633 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Has singing in tune gone out of fashion for public occasions?

There seems to be a reluctance to sing to the tune as composed. They all want to add some embellishments, which are not needed.

Sopranos who lead the National Anthem at international matches are particularly guilty.

TJH

Are you talking about melisma?

John

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 20th, 2018, 2:20 pm

much prefer the traditional James VI version with or without the obey

The traditional marriage service is from Cranmer's 1662 Book of Common Prayer (BCP), not the King James Bible and is still canonically approved.

The BCP, written largely by Thomas Cranmer with psalter by Miles Coverdale, is a work of matchless felicity and memorable turn of phrase, unlike the present watered-down demotic ‘alternatives’. Its language is uncompromisingly direct: ... marriage “is not by any to be enterprised, nor taken in hand, unadvisedly, lightly, or wantonly, to satisfy men's carnal lusts and appetites, like brute beasts that have no understanding; but … duly considering the causes for which Matrimony was ordained. First, It was ordained for the procreation of children ….. Secondly, It was ordained for a remedy against sin, and to avoid fornication…
For some unaccountable reason, C of E priests generally prefer the wishy-washy language of the modern service.

However, it was nice to hear the words of the reading from Song of Solomon (some priests are even embarrassed by Songs as too sexual...) though the King James version scans better (although the latter uses the word 'turtle' to refer to 'turtle dove' - an interesting source of confusion for the uninitiated).

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 20th, 2018, 2:29 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:

TJH

Are you talking about melisma?

John

Who is that?

TJH

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”