Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Qualifications for parish council members

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Qualifications for parish council members

Postby brightncheerful » May 25th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Having recently attended a local parish/town council meeting, I have concluded that - as well as having to be thick-skinned, as suggested in a book I read about what's like to be a local councillor - a person needs to be either or, or a combination of any of:

Retired
Unemployed
Dead-end low paid job
Of independent financial means
Overweight or obese, or slimmer/slim but physically unfit
Ability to be patient without noticeably fidgeting.
Love of proper procedures
Little or no business sense.
Pleasant but below average intelligence
Unpleasant with higher than average intelligence but not high enough to realise the pointlessness or accept the futility of it all

Yes, i realise it's a thankless task and persons giving up their spare time to serve the public and community is all very noble. But surely that's no excuse for being overweight or obese?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Qualifications for parish council members

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 25th, 2018, 5:01 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Having recently attended a local parish/town council meeting, I have concluded that - as well as having to be thick-skinned, as suggested in a book I read about what's like to be a local councillor - a person needs to be either or, or a combination of any of:

Retired
Unemployed
Dead-end low paid job
Unpleasant with higher than average intelligence but not high enough to realise the pointlessness or accept the futility of it all

Yes, i realise it's a thankless task and persons giving up their spare time to serve the public and community is all very noble. But surely that's no excuse for being overweight or obese?

Are these public and community spirited people using their service as an excuse for being overweight or obese - as you suggest; or are you just using it as another excuse for insulting them?

RC

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Qualifications for parish council members

Postby PinkDalek » May 25th, 2018, 5:25 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Having recently attended a local parish/town council meeting, I have concluded that - as well as having to be thick-skinned, as suggested in a book I read about what's like to be a local councillor - a person needs to be either or, or a combination of any of:

Retired
Unemployed
Dead-end low paid job

Yes, i realise it's a thankless task and persons giving up their spare time to serve the public and community is all very noble. ...

Did you get elected? :)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”