Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Huge underground lake found on Mars

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Huge underground lake found on Mars

Postby Itsallaguess » July 25th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Astronomers have found compelling evidence that there is a huge reservoir of liquid water buried a mile under the ice near the south pole on Mars.

Radar measurements taken from the European Space Agency’s Mars Express orbiter spotted the 12 mile-wide stretch of water at the base of a thick slab of polar ice in a region known as Planum Australe.

It is the first time that researchers have identified a stable body of liquid water on the red planet. The finding raises the likelihood that any microbial life that arose on Mars may continue to eke out a rather bleak existence deep beneath the surface.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... stronomers

Later in the above article, they discuss the technical difficulties of actually getting to the water for closer inspection -

It may be some time before scientists can investigate the water under the Martian south pole to see if any life lurks there. “Getting there and acquiring the final evidence that this is indeed a lake will not be an easy task,” said Orosei. “It will require flying a robot there which is capable of drilling through 1.5km of ice and this will certainly require some technological developments that at the moment are not available.”

For now, the researchers will search other sites on Mars for signs of more subterranean lakes or aquifers. Writing in the journal, the authors say: “There is no reason to conclude that the presence of subsurface water on Mars is limited to a single location.”

One of my biggest wishes is to live long enough to see us step foot on Mars, so any news like this will hopefully add to the potential benefits of sending a team out there one day. Here's hoping...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Huge underground lake found on Mars

Postby stewamax » July 26th, 2018, 9:52 am

Probably the result of a United Utilities (Mars) PLC burst water-main.
The Mars Rover should now be looking for abandoned hosepipes.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 26th, 2018, 9:57 am

It's rather disappointing that on somewhere as exotic as Mars, they can only find evidence of a water lake.

Now, if they found a beer lake, that would be something, and a clear incentive to increase efforts to get there.

--kiloran

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 26th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:It may be some time before scientists can investigate the water under the Martian south pole to see if any life lurks there. “Getting there and acquiring the final evidence that this is indeed a lake will not be an easy task,” said Orosei. “It will require flying a robot there which is capable of drilling through 1.5km of ice and this will certainly require some technological developments that at the moment are not available.”

I'm sure Elon Musk will soon come up with the answer!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 26th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:It may be some time before scientists can investigate the water under the Martian south pole to see if any life lurks there. “Getting there and acquiring the final evidence that this is indeed a lake will not be an easy task,” said Orosei. “It will require flying a robot there which is capable of drilling through 1.5km of ice and this will certainly require some technological developments that at the moment are not available.”

I'm sure Elon Musk will soon come up with the answer!

Yes indeed, it's all part of the plan...the SpaceX rocket travels there, out comes the Boring machine and then the minisub drops down the hole!

John

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 26th, 2018, 10:00 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Yes indeed, it's all part of the plan...the SpaceX rocket travels there, out comes the Boring machine and then the minisub drops down the hole!

John

And anyone who says it can't be done is just a damn`pedo'! ;)

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » July 26th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Is there anyone there we could make a trade deal with?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » July 27th, 2018, 2:27 am

Stonge wrote:Is there anyone there we could make a trade deal with?

Trump has already announced a 300% tariff on Martian Steel and Aluminium.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » July 27th, 2018, 9:23 am

It's a God-awful small affair...

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » July 27th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Well IAAG I think the news is exciting. I can think of nowhere on earth where any water is completely inert. So this has to be the best chance of other life in our solar system.

Mind you, it's 1K down. Drilling down to sample it will be a huge task.
I wonder if NASA would be able to fund it. Would Trump consider it a waste of money?
The Chinese maybe?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 27th, 2018, 12:23 pm

FredBloggs wrote:
kiloran wrote:It's rather disappointing that on somewhere as exotic as Mars, they can only find evidence of a water lake.

Now, if they found a beer lake, that would be something, and a clear incentive to increase efforts to get there.

--kiloran

Look on the bright side. It's just as likely to be Marstons Pedigree as it is to be water. You've a 50:50 chance. I agree, not much chance of it being 1er cru Bordeaux though.

If it was the Pedigree I remember from 50 years ago, I'd be off to Mars immediately. If it's the modern stuff, don't think I'll bother

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 27th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Leothebear wrote:
Well IAAG I think the news is exciting. I can think of nowhere on earth where any water is completely inert. So this has to be the best chance of other life in our solar system.

Thanks Leo,

I think one of the most exciting things is that we've found a body of water that exists on a planet that isn't our own, no matter how salty and how small it might be.

The fact that we've also gone and found it within our solar-system should give us great hope that the many other planets in the other solar-systems that we know now have them, may also contain some that hold water in some form or another.

It's another small step towards finding life outside of Planet Earth, and I just hope I'm around to see it when we eventually make what would go down as one of the most significant discoveries in history.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 27th, 2018, 1:25 pm

kiloran wrote:
FredBloggs wrote:
kiloran wrote:It's rather disappointing that on somewhere as exotic as Mars, they can only find evidence of a water lake.

--kiloran

Look on the bright side. It's just as likely to be Marstons Pedigree as it is to be water. You've a 50:50 chance. I agree, not much chance of it being 1er cru Bordeaux though.

If it was the Pedigree I remember from 50 years ago, I'd be off to Mars immediately. If it's the modern stuff, don't think I'll bother

--kiloran

Why do you think that the EPIC for Marston's is MARS? I wouldn't Banks on it. You might find a Hobgoblin in the Wychwood.

TJH

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 27th, 2018, 1:27 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Why do you think that the EPIC for Marston's is MARS? I wouldn't Banks on it. You might find a Hobgoblin in the Wychwood.

TJH

That's all very amusing but what about the Spiders?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » July 27th, 2018, 1:29 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Why do you think that the EPIC for Marston's is MARS? I wouldn't Banks on it. You might find a Hobgoblin in the Wychwood.

TJH

Now that surprises me.

I would have thought that the EPIC 'MARS' would have been assigned to a confectioner!

Watis

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 27th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Leothebear wrote:Well IAAG I think the news is exciting. I can think of nowhere on earth where any water is completely inert. So this has to be the best chance of other life in our solar system.

Is there life in Lake Vostok?
And that's good water. The Martian lake is reported to be something chemically closer to the Dead Sea.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » July 27th, 2018, 2:27 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Leothebear wrote:Well IAAG I think the news is exciting. I can think of nowhere on earth where any water is completely inert. So this has to be the best chance of other life in our solar system.

Is there life in Lake Vostok?
And that's good water. The Martian lake is reported to be something chemically closer to the Dead Sea.

It would seem so:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/160 ... ers-europa

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 28th, 2018, 4:33 pm

The Grauniad wrote:It may be some time before scientists can investigate the water under the Martian south pole to see if any life lurks there. “Getting there and acquiring the final evidence that this is indeed a lake will not be an easy task,” said Orosei. “It will require flying a robot there which is capable of drilling through 1.5km of ice and this will certainly require some technological developments that at the moment are not available.”
Are these people incapable of lateral thinking? Just( ;) ) place into orbit a giant lens and melt a hole down through the ice. Not sure how they will get a glass satellite to remain over the pole but that's just detail. :)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 29th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Probably cos I'm a Biologist but for me, the question of whether or not there is life there is not the main issue. I would be surprised if there were no evidence of microbial spores or DNA fragments found there.

Far more exciting are the implications for colonies. A thin atmosphere means plenty of UV light, so plenty of energy from solar panels. The water, when desalinated, will will yield oxygen for life and hydrogen for fuel.

Genetically modified plants will be made to grow there. Especially lemons.

Apart from emergency batteries, lemons can be combined with ice. With such low atmospheric pressure, controlled distillation will be easy. So loads of gin.

The problem will be the tonic. We may have to ask Elon Musk to send that in one of his super-duper pedo-free capsules. :-)

Steve

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”