Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Getting Married

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Getting Married

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 13th, 2018, 7:59 pm

nimnarb wrote:What's interesting about this thread is that OP said.."someone" getting married as opposed to "I am" getting married.............

So HYD..you made a dramatic entrance in stating that you were not dead and then even more dramatic in as much as that we are to presume you "might" be getting married..............Pray tell?

Erm, did his original thread not tell of the Russian bride?

What amused me about this thread was the word "only", attached to a huge sum!

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 13th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Erm, did his original thread not tell of the Russian bride?

Must of missed it...can't see it in this thread, which is the original thread isn't it? I know he filled us in on another post about a Russian Lady but dont recall seeing a "Russian Bride".......possibly wrong though.......?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 13th, 2018, 8:52 pm

With the missing quote tags added to be clearer about who said what:

nimnarb wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Erm, did his original thread not tell of the Russian bride?

Must of missed it...can't see it in this thread, which is the original thread isn't it? I know he filled us in on another post about a Russian Lady but dont recall seeing a "Russian Bride".......possibly wrong though.......?

Howyoudoin's exact description was "'Russian' girl" and it was in his second thread after his first one announced he was here on TLF. I don't see anything that says he's getting married to her, and what the single quotes around the word "Russian" are supposed to mean, I don't know!

In case you're wondering how to track such things down, click on the user name to the right of any of the user's posts, then click on "Search user's posts". Then either scan down the resulting list of their posts (which is ordered from the most recent post to the least recent), or use the "Search these results" box to pick out ones containing a word you remember.

Gengulphus

gvonge
Lemon Pip

Postby gvonge » June 14th, 2018, 9:44 am

Two tips to keep the cost down.

1. Don't have the do on a weekend.
2. Don't tell the prospective venues it's for a wedding until they've given you a price.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 15th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:If HYD had said that he's got £20k and wants to spend it on a car, would there be many here who would try to convince him that he can get a good little run-about for about £1.5k?

We spent very little on our wedding, and we'd do the same again tomorrow (even now, with the benefit of hindsight, it was exsctly what we wanted, and that would be the same today too...), but I wouldn't presume to think that such a situation would be right for everybody, and if someone wants to spend £20k on a wedding, then why not?

I'm sure HYD knows that these things can be done on a shoestring budget, but that's not what he's asking.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks Itsallaguess. As per usual you are bang on the money.

You'll see from my replies that are coming up on this thread that I think spending £20k on a wedding is insane.

Having said that, I obviously need to make sure that the love of my life is happy.

I've already said to her that I think engagement rings are an unnecessary expense. £3,000 to £5,000 for an engagement ring? Excuse my French, but FO. £3k to £5k could cover the venue and catering for crying out loud.

Or am I just being daft?

HYD

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 15th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Save the money for after the wedding - the happy couple are usually too frazzled to appreciate it anyway. A nice ceremony with people you love, who love you, is the thing. You could do that in a pub.
Personal opinion only- others may disagree- but why spend thousands just to enter the Facebook Perfect Weddings 'competition'?
Bullocks to 'other people'- let them get in debt paying through the nose for all the pointless overpriced wedding crap

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 15th, 2018, 8:57 pm

HYD...what does the bride to be want?

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 15th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Howyoudoin's exact description was "'Russian' girl" and it was in his second thread after his first one announced he was here on TLF. I don't see anything that says he's getting married to her, and what the single quotes around the word "Russian" are supposed to mean, I don't know!

Hi Gengulphus,

I love reading your posts. I always feel that I am more educated ater reading your posts.

If i'm honest, I put the quotes around the word 'Russian' just to confuse people.

The simple fact is that she is Crimean. AND Russian.

I think this is a post for another night as it might take a while if you and others don't understand the politics of the above.

Best,

HYD

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 15th, 2018, 9:25 pm

nimnarb wrote:HYD...what does the bride to be want?

The Bride to be 'wanted' to get married in Sicily. However, after me looking into the costs of that, and the fact that the Mafia want me dead, we decided to give that a miss.

I THINK, that we will end up getting married in a small town in Italy or Portugal. And the £20k will get spent on 20 people having a really good time. Half of those 20 can't afford to get there or stay there.

Which is where te £20k comes in.

I think the average wage in Crimea is about £100 a month.

But really need to tell you how hard working they are for that £100. Another time.

HYD

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 15th, 2018, 9:46 pm

So you are paying 20K for many of them for travel and hotel accommodation? And I presume many would be from the bride's side of the family?

Haven't googled this yet but can't remember if Crimea is Russian or Ukrainian..regardless must be some heavy politics going on judging from this link..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU-op7Ek_S4

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 15th, 2018, 11:05 pm

nimnarb wrote:
Haven't googled this yet but can't remember if Crimea is Russian or Ukrainian

Where were you in 2014? It was mainstream news for many weeks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimea#Ru ... 14-present)

--kiloran

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 21st, 2018, 8:33 pm

nimnarb wrote:So you are paying 20K for many of them for travel and hotel accommodation? And I presume many would be from the bride's side of the family?

Haven't googled this yet but can't remember if Crimea is Russian or Ukrainian..regardless must be some heavy politics going on judging from this link..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU-op7Ek_S4

Hi Branmin,

Apologies for the late reply.

In 1991, the old USSR transfered control of Crimea to Ukraine and the Crimean inhabitants seemed to be happy with this (as far as I can tell).

However, Russia took back control, by force, in 2014, and the inhabitants seem happy with that too (as far as I can tell).

Having spoken to many inhabitants, they have always felt 'Russian' and most of them that want to leave the country, have dual 'Russian/Crimean' nationality.

To answer your specific question regarding the bride's side of the family in Crimea . . . that only runs to half a dozen people . . . and given their meagre circumstances (£100 a month pension), it would be ridiculous NOT to pay for them to attend. But seeing as that is only 6 people I don't imagine the cost going over £2,500 for the duration, if we can find a suitable place.

It's all ifs and buts at the moment though.

Best,

HYD

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”