Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Anthony Bourdain RIP

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Anthony Bourdain RIP

Postby nimnarb » June 11th, 2018, 11:47 pm

Not sure how popular, if at all AB was in the UK but here in the States it was quite a shock for him to take his own life at the age of 61.(same week as Kate Spade). Been watching his show "Parts Unknown" for some time and he was quite a character who appeared totally natural, shoved 2 fingers up to the establishment, but obviously had some terrible demons within. Such a loss. Multi-talented. Chef, raconteur, writer and took you deep into the culture and human aspect of each country he visited. Loneliness, hurt, depression and anguish within, even though to others one appears to be happy and content, is a disease that I suppose only you the person can solve and yet there is very little help available as normally people(especially in the public eye) who go through this, don't reach out for help(or even let on that there is a problem) until its normally too late.....................I can't even imagine the inner torment they must go through. Very sad. One of his last programs I saw recently, I think was in France, where he was sitting by himself in a 5 star hotel having a gourmet meal and said everything was just idyllic.....however, he felt so lonely as there was nobody to share it with!!!!
Damn it. Life is just not fair at times.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Anthony Bourdain RIP

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 12th, 2018, 9:24 am

I read his 'Kitchen Confidential' years ago - quite an eye opener!

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » June 12th, 2018, 9:42 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I read his 'Kitchen Confidential' years ago - quite an eye opener!

My daughter has "chef" as one of her "train driver" jobs, I told her only last week that she needed to read "Kitchen Confidential" if she was serious about it, when she was a bit older. A fabulous read which I would recommend to anyone who eats.

DM

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 12th, 2018, 9:50 am

It confirmed my view that working in a kitchen is one of those jobs I could never do: incredibly stressful, low pay, long hours
No wonder they were all on drugs...

It was only when I saw a few episodes of 'A Cook's Tour' on Amazon Prime that I realised I'd been getting his name wrong. Assumed it was 'bour-dan' but he pronounced it 'bour-dayne'

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 14th, 2018, 11:26 am

Best steak dinner I've had was in his Les Halles in downtown Manhattan. I had onglet (hanger steak) with pepper sauce and frites (and creamed spinach).

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 14th, 2018, 1:44 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:It confirmed my view that working in a kitchen is one of those jobs I could never do: incredibly stressful, low pay, long hours

You also have to be physically strong to lift heavy trays and pans of food around in a busy kitchen. There is a reason there are relatively few female chefs at the big restaurants, even though there are any number of female food critics, food writers, TV chefs and so on.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”