Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

James Croden/Paul McCartney car drive

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Beerpig
Lemon Slice

James Croden/Paul McCartney car drive

Postby Beerpig » June 23rd, 2018, 8:43 am

I don't know if anyone else has seen this but the only word for it is 'incredible'

Macca clearly ailing but as ever modest, understated and circumspect.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzCTqkBDQ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: James Croden/Paul McCartney car drive

Postby Dod101 » June 23rd, 2018, 9:09 am

I suppose you mean that Macca is ailing in the sense of his voice. Otherwise he looks fine. I saw him 5/6 years ago at a charity concert in the Royal Albert Hall and his voice had pretty well gone by then. I saw in the newspaper that he had a birthday the other day, not bad for 76!

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 23rd, 2018, 9:20 am

That was absolutely fantastic...had to hold back a tear or two myself.

A must see for anyone over 50...well anyone actually!

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 23rd, 2018, 11:52 am

I was in Liverpool that weekend. On Friday I was in Philharmonic when thy carried the gear in. Beer and service was rubbish. When that gig was going on on Saturday I was nearby in either Roscoe Head or The Grapes.

Very good video, I also liked the Stevie Wonder and Rod Stewart ones.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » June 23rd, 2018, 12:24 pm

Beerpig wrote:modest

Doing his best to pretend to be perhaps. He's pretty smug I'd say. He loves it all and laps up all the adulation. Pretends not to but you can tell he does. Nothing wrong with that though. Beatles my 2nd fav so don't dislike him. Just spade=spade.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 23rd, 2018, 12:48 pm

Dod101 wrote:I suppose you mean that Macca is ailing in the sense of his voice. Otherwise he looks fine. I saw him 5/6 years ago at a charity concert in the Royal Albert Hall and his voice had pretty well gone by then. I saw in the newspaper that he had a birthday the other day, not bad for 76!

Dod

I thought he looked unwell actually, he's very thin and quite fragile looking. My dad is 81 and looks far better than him (annoyingly!).

I couldn't watch all of it, James Cordon is a ****. Not sure about James Croden though, maybe he's OK?

Mel

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 23rd, 2018, 1:01 pm

Mel, what do you mean by "annoyingly"?

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 23rd, 2018, 1:05 pm

JMN2 wrote:Mel, what do you mean by "annoyingly"?

I'm not very fond of my father and he's fairly wealthy!

Mel

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 23rd, 2018, 5:38 pm

melonfool wrote: I'm not very fond of my father and he's fairly wealthy!l

Oh dear! I think my daughter thinks I'm OK (Hope so anyway!)

Macca looked like he does now 6 years ago when I saw him at the Albert Hall. Just not wearing very well as we say.

Dod

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 23rd, 2018, 8:07 pm

Well for me, I shed a tear. Grew up in this era, lived round the corner from Abbey Road, still have an autograph from the great man himself when I bumped into him at Ronnie Scots and also was lucky to see them playing on the roof. Timeless, incredible music and even turned off Germany v Sweden to see this. I also thought that perhaps Paul looked a bit on the frail side, so really hope he is OK. To the Poster who said he laps up all the adulation. Are you serious? He is entitled to every last drop of it but don't believe he seeks it out at all, in fact quite the opposite.

Beerpig, probably would have never seen this so thanks so much. The man is a genius and an Icon and long may he stay healthy and well. Didn't know he has two new songs out and an album. Many years ago was in Saint-Paul de Vence in a restaurant called La Colombe d'Or and at the bar was Ringo and also got his autograph. Sounds irritating to some but we are talking about the Beatles and of the like that I will never see again in my lifetime.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » June 23rd, 2018, 8:21 pm

nimnarb wrote:To the Poster who said he laps up all the adulation. Are you serious?

You can see what you like. I could tell he loved it all.

nimnarb wrote:He is entitled to every last drop of it

Did you not read the rest of my comment... "Nothing wrong with that though. Beatles my 2nd fav so don't dislike him. Just spade=spade." So as you can see I quite agree.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 23rd, 2018, 8:22 pm

Nice summary.

They used to frequent that place on Cap d’Antibes. I’ll have to look it up - ah yes - Hotel du Cap, Eden Roc. I think there’s a few images of them online. Shared a beer with Ringo there - separately.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 23rd, 2018, 8:36 pm

Nice one, nimnarb. I used to take the bus up to st paul de vence to drink some affligem tripel.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » June 26th, 2018, 10:02 am

Just watched the whole video and it is brilliant . Must have been a great experience to be in that pub when the curtain opened , mind you the opening chord of Help made a few punters jump !
His new song is great too , you do get a preview on the carpool video , whole song here :
https://youtu.be/ZeJLrtFY7Ds

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 26th, 2018, 11:32 am

Snorvey wrote:James Corden though. Ugh.

In a recent survey, the public was asked who they would most like to see doing the Carshare Karaoke with Corden and the overwhelming winner was 'a velociraptor'

Is that true?

I'm impressed if you made it up though...very good!

John

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » June 26th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Sometimes he's a bit annoying, he's no Piers Morgan though.

I can forgive Corden a lot for co-writing Gavin and Stacey.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 26th, 2018, 1:17 pm

UncleIan wrote:

Sometimes he's a bit annoying, he's no Piers Morgan though.

I can forgive Corden a lot for co-writing Gavin and Stacey.

I've rewatched a bit of this recently and while I used to quite like it I don't feel it has stood the test of time. There's a lot of homophobia and the characters are all incredibly nasty to each other with the exception of Gavin's dad.

I reckon it was 'of its moment', but for me it leaves me cold now.

Mel

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » June 26th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Dod101 wrote:I suppose you mean that Macca is ailing in the sense of his voice.

Since he participated in the London Olympics opening ceremony, I have always thought his voice has been affected by the amount of botox adminstered to his face. He seems to have limited facial movement which affects his vocal range.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » June 26th, 2018, 1:48 pm

melonfool wrote:There's a lot of homophobia and the characters are all incredibly nasty to each other with the exception of Gavin's dad.

Weird. I watched some of Gavin and Stacey (my kids liked it at the time) and I always thought it was incredibly twee with the very obvious storyline about the bloke (Horne) dropping his lifelong friendship with his mate (Corden) in favour of his long distance relationship with his pretty finance and the rather cliched Essex/Wales contrast.

I thought Ruth Jones' character ('Nessa') was a strong (albeit obvious) and amusing female character to counteract the laddishness.

Not sure I ever detected any hints of homophobia. What storyline, quotes, relationships were homophobic ?

[ Trivia unveiled by Wikipedia - 'The use of the surnames of known English serial killers for some of the main characters – Shipman, West and Sutcliffe — was deliberate. In 2009 Ruth Jones commented: "I suppose we were hoping that people wouldn't realise and then when it does come to light, it's even more delicious...." ]

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 26th, 2018, 2:24 pm

mrbrightside wrote:
melonfool wrote:There's a lot of homophobia and the characters are all incredibly nasty to each other with the exception of Gavin's dad.

Weird. I watched some of Gavin and Stacey (my kids liked it at the time) and I always thought it was incredibly twee with the very obvious storyline about the bloke (Horne) dropping his lifelong friendship with his mate (Corden) in favour of his long distance relationship with his pretty finance and the rather cliched Essex/Wales contrast.

I thought Ruth Jones' character ('Nessa') was a strong (albeit obvious) and amusing female character to counteract the laddishness.

Not sure I ever detected any hints of homophobia. What storyline, quotes, relationships were homophobic ?

[ Trivia unveiled by Wikipedia - 'The use of the surnames of known English serial killers for some of the main characters – Shipman, West and Sutcliffe — was deliberate. In 2009 Ruth Jones commented: "I suppose we were hoping that people wouldn't realise and then when it does come to light, it's even more delicious...." ]

The whole *hilaaarious* relationship between Uncle Bryn and the brother, which you can surely not have missed. And all of Smiffy's gang were pretty racist and homophobic.

Nessa who yes, came across as 'strong' I actually now see as just really unpleasant. The way she treats Smiffy (and her next bf, whose name I forget, the bus driver) is horrible, but he's not a lot better. They are all horrible to Stacey's mum. I know it's "funny" but I guess for me it was always very thin and the "funny" has worn off quickly.

I don't know how they can say that about Shipman - it's mentioned in the programme!

Mel

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”