Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

UK govt 'IELTS Language Test' for foreigners seeking residency

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

UK govt 'IELTS Language Test' for foreigners seeking residency

Postby DiamondEcho » July 20th, 2018, 3:31 pm

To live or settle in the UK these days you have to pass various tests in English, language, 'life skills', and so on. Mrs-DE has to sit these imminently. I thought it'd be interesting to try them out, after all I'd find them simple eh? - visions of finishing in half the time and getting 100% [for the 1st time in my life] OMTG!!! - wrong! I got 71% in the first one, scraping a pass. In the second having wised up a touch to their approach I got 80%; but it still took some careful thinking as it's not multi-choice, and the right answer can be far from clear. [Luckily her English is better than mine!]

If anyone is curious what the test is like you can have a go yourself at free samples ['Reading Practice 1' and a second one '2']: https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/pr ... l-training

It's not multiple-choice, at least not at all directly, and you need to have knowledge of comparable words such as 'hands on' can mean the same as 'practical', and many more, you might be surprised. I actually believe it is right that seekers of UK residency pass a language test, I am just shocked by how hard it is.

40 minutes/40 questions, with plenty of reading time needed. Pass mark 70%.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: UK govt 'IELTS Language Test' for foreigners seeking residency

Postby redsturgeon » July 20th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Welcome to the "hostile environment".

John

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 20th, 2018, 3:45 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Welcome to the "hostile environment". John

It's nothing new, it was introduced in 38 years ago. No PM since has changed it.
ps. I'd meant to add a ps to my OP, that I didn't wish it to morph into a Serious Discussion, just a bit pub-quiz fun, with an unspoken real-life side to it.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 20th, 2018, 3:49 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Welcome to the "hostile environment". John

It's nothing new, it was introduced in 38 years ago. Neither immigrant-welcoming Brown nor Blair changed the requirement.

ps. I'd meant to add a ps to my OP, that I didn't wish it to morph into a Serious Discussion, just a bit pub-quiz fun, with an unspoken real-life side to it.

I looked and I was amazed at the complexity, I'd think that a good 50% of UK natives would struggle.

John

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 20th, 2018, 4:13 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I looked and I was amazed at the complexity, I'd think that a good 50% of UK natives would struggle. John

Yeah :lol: Quite a shocker eh? I'm a 'born+bred educated Brit' so was surprised. I could give examples of some linguistic leaps required, but thought I'd give anyone who wishes to give them a run-through an un-aided go first.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 20th, 2018, 5:07 pm

Well I got caught up in the emergency drill and am pretty sure that it would not be acceptable to delay long enough to take a roll call prior to exiting.

Oh, and why were the prices of the courses in $ :shock:

Slarti

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » July 20th, 2018, 5:39 pm

About 18months ago I based a pub quiz around this test as one of our regulars was a girl from NZ who had married a Brit and needed to take the test. The team she was in was the only one to get a decent pass score! The rest, all British born and bred, scored between 60 and 75%. Much discussion afterwards about the content etc. Maybe I'll give it another go soon just to see if we've improved any ;)

R6

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » July 21st, 2018, 11:07 am

I had to do this test in 1995 in Helsinki as I had been accepted to a university in the UK. Yes, I was what they call a mature student. So the hostile environment has been around for a long time. I am trying to dig out the paperwork.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » July 21st, 2018, 5:28 pm

I am pinching bits of this to use as a comprehension test for interviewees - and I might use the employment bit for HR applicants!

Mel

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » July 21st, 2018, 9:34 pm

JMN2 wrote:I had to do this test in 1995 in Helsinki as I had been accepted to a university in the UK. Yes, I was what they call a mature student. So the hostile environment has been around for a long time. I am trying to dig out the paperwork.

I feel that I have to emphasise that by that time I already had a masters degree in economics - I wouldn't want anyone to think I am a bone head... :D

...open invitation to abuse...my persona can take it.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 22nd, 2018, 8:57 pm

JMN2 wrote:...open invitation to abuse...my persona can take it.

Not all, I was honestly shocked by how challenging it is. That said, it appears as if it is one of those types of tests where some preparation as to it's structure and style would be a major benefit.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 24th, 2018, 12:56 am

DiamondEcho wrote:That said, it appears as if it is one of those types of tests where some preparation as to it's structure and style would be a major benefit.

Well that's you failed! ;)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 24th, 2018, 9:54 am

Now if wee Nicola insisted that all Scots took the test - and the majority failed (which seems likely from the comments on this board), then she would have her dearest wish - a separate Scotland, with no need for another (and another and another...) referendum.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 26th, 2018, 10:39 am

Clitheroekid wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:That said, it appears as if it is one of those types of tests where some preparation as to it's structure and style would be a major benefit.
Well that's you failed! ;)

My 'English Language' education was latterly taught by a Welsh Communist, and comprised 2 years of induction on how 'Tribe X' and 'Tribe Y' might create an equitably functional society on a previously unpopulated island. I have no recollection of being taught any English grammar at all. Ironic as I was taught it and can remember much of it in other languages, French, German and even Latin.

Anyway, she's just finished her test a/o 5 minutes ago. Seems it wasn't the one/s previously linked, but more conversational. It was her, an examinor, and another examinee. It was delayed by an hour as her scheduled co-examinee apparently arrived without his passport. Seems unfair that my wife's ability to go ahead with the test was dependent on a complete 'random stranger.' But anyway it's done, and I'm sure she did fine. Better be, as we relo to the UK on Saturday! :?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 26th, 2018, 10:45 am

DiamondEcho wrote:Better be, as we relo to the UK on Saturday! :?

In time for the next (unplanned) Foolish London Summer Social. I wonder if Snorvey has any plans on that front.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » July 26th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Snorvey wrote:I'll need you to turn the heating off before I go anywhere near London.

Yes, if anyone knows where the switch is....just do it now, before I melt!

Mel

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » July 26th, 2018, 12:32 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
JMN2 wrote:...open invitation to abuse...my persona can take it.

Not all, I was honestly shocked by how challenging it is. That said, it appears as if it is one of those types of tests where some preparation as to it's structure and style would be a major benefit.

But it's the highest level test there is.

https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ielts-ukvi/test-takers-faqs#Which%20IELTS%20test%20do%20I%20need?

The thread title is a bit misleading. In general "foreigners seeking residency" will take a much simpler test with a lower pass mark: A1 - B1 level.

https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ielts-ukvi/what-ielts-ukvi
If you’re applying for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa, extension of a ‘family of a settled person’ visa or for indefinite leave to remain or citizenship, IELTS Life Skills is the test for you.
IELTS Life Skills is a new test, approved by UKVI as a Secure English Language Test (SELT).
It’s for people who need to show they have speaking and listening skills at Level A1, A2 or B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

This seems exactly equivalent to the requirements in Germany.
I have an Egyptian friend who joined us right after the Brexit vote in the UK, has learnt German in night classes, passed his B1 test and is now applying for his Permanent Residence. Remainers take note :)

I studied the C1 level German courses, which is the same level as the one you linked and likewise is also used for University entrance, etc. It needs to be challenging, that's its point.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”