Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

cards in my wallet

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
didds
Lemon Half

cards in my wallet

Postby didds » August 8th, 2018, 12:36 pm

rather than drag the thread in DAK regarding supermarket alarms off topic etc...

We were starting to discuss credit/debit cards in one's wallet, which generally weren't all C/D cards as it turns out.

in my wallet I have

- two credit cards. One is a Amex for the actual cash back... it was the only card that seemed to do this now at any meaningful rate anyway. So I also "have" to carry an asda cc, which only accrues "cash back" for spending at asda. Our nearest store is 8 miles away though there is always online of course. I got the amex when asda moved to this "asda use only" thing, but keep it cos not everywhere takes amex!

TBH if/when cash back dies completely then I don;t really have a sue for a CC (aside form maybe some consumer protection rights?) so could then potentially ditch them both and as i pay off the CCs in full every month just use
- one debit card. Currently used for those times when CC isn;t possible eg extra charges for using a CC or as hole in the wall cash extractor
- store loyalty cards x 4.
- camra memberhip card. (*)
- library card (*)
- NHS Medical Exemption Card
- Breakdown Card (*)
- RFU coaching licence (*)
- driving license
- disabled railcard (never know when I might need to catch a train ! ;-) )

* no real need to carry it generally speaking - any pertinent details could be stored on my phone

didds

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: cards in my wallet

Postby kiloran » August 8th, 2018, 12:50 pm

One credit card, one debit card and that's it.

I'm sure loyalty cards have their uses, but there's no way I'm going to carry a bunch of those around. What we need is a standardised format of loyalty card which can be loaded with an individual company's details as required, so if I want to participate in, say, Tesco's loyalty card, I take my standard card into Tesco, bung it into a machine, and it programs it with the relevant info. Same piece of plastic, put it into a B&Q machine and it then also functions at B&Q. Must be technically easy, just needs organisations to get together to define a standard.

My wife..... she's got every loyalty card going. Her handbag weighs a ton, and she spends way too much time at checkouts trying to find the right one.

--kiloran

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 8th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Cards

N'wide debit
Monzo debit
S'der credit (for the 123 cashback)
Amex (for the Nectar cashback, about to be cancelled)
Loyalty: Boots, Waitrose, JL, M&S, Tesco, Ikea (for the free tea!), Coop (this is one of the best actually) , Nectar, Victoria (local to where I work), GoOutdoors, Pets at Home.
Stamp cards, where you get a free coffee after x stamps etc - one for the place next to work, I get a hot choc on very cold days. I've had one free and I've worked there nearly two years, and you only need six for the free one.

But, you can amalgamate all loyalty cards into a phone app called stocard, works fine, I have it and have used it - just that I get my purse out to pay so may as well use the card in the purse.

While I would prefer lower prices, I think we've lost that argument, so I take full advantage of my loyalty offers. On Nectar, since I got my Amex linked card, I have had free - an electric toothbrush, a vacuum cleaner, a CD player, a bunch of groceries, some stuff from ebay and I still have £44. Thought, to be fair, I did get £85 in points due to bringing a complaint about Amex's service.

Tesco I tend to convert to cinema vouchers. Boots I use instore against things I am purchasing. Co-op I redeem instore against grocery purchases (you have to use them with in a year I think). Waitrose, JL and M&S send vouchers which to be honest I rarely use. But I have had my free cake from JL now and then. M&S donate to charity when you use your loyalty card against a purchase.

Mel

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » August 8th, 2018, 1:35 pm

A heck of a lot!

Debit card
Library membership card
Use of library computers membership card
Two credit cards
Driving licence
Three cards to do with the caravan
Two club membership cards

Camping shop
Specific Post Office reminder card (just to remind one that it exists!)
Plus a load of notes & bits & pieces

In reality, a lot of the above could well be disposed of, after all, I don't really need the Post Office card, or the camping shop card, or the bits & pieces of notes.

Hmmm, somthing to consider!

ten0rman

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 8th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I don't have a wallet - never have.

I carry cash when I know I might need to, and I carry three cards when I know I might need to -

1. Tesco loyalty

2. Morrisons loyalty

3. Debit card

I use the first two cards above to protect the middle debit-card from keys and/or coins when they are in my front pocket.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 8th, 2018, 2:30 pm

At all times: one credit and two debit cards, and variable cash.

When appropriate, other contents ranging from a nectar card to a train or bus ticket.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » August 8th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Debit cards x2 for own and joint account
card for savings account
credit cards x2 (one Amex one not) joint account
credit card own account
credit card company
Costco
Loyalty cards x 4 plus 2 x stamp cards
Gym cards x 2
work entry card
EHIC
bank account dongle
RSPB, NT, English heritage membership cards
Library card
Regus gold card
A card confirming that I am part owner of a castle

25 in total!

DM

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 8th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Tesco Credit Card, doubles as a clubcard and I get more points for using it.
Capital One credit card as a spare
Personal debit card for cash out of hole in wall
Business debit card ditto
Beefeater reward card
Driving licence
Bus pass (as of Friday last)

When away in Europe I leave the business debit card and take either Caxton or FairFX, whichever gave best rates at that time.

I have others, but don't normally carry them.

Slarti

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » August 8th, 2018, 4:46 pm

This thread has prompted me to review my cards and throw 3 out.

I've also just renewed my EHIC card which had expired.

I now have just 17
It'll be 18 when my new EHIC arrives.

Credit card and Debit cards for each of 2 UK bank accounts
Credit & debit for an EU account
AA card
Tesco Clubcard
Tesco Credit card
Oyster card
Phone top-up card
PADI dive card
Driving licence
York museums card and Minster entry cards
Nation Trust & English Heritage membership cards
Library card

Rob

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 8th, 2018, 5:05 pm

robbelg wrote:This thread has prompted me to review my cards and throw 3 out.

I've also just renewed my EHIC card which had expired.

I now have just 17
It'll be 18 when my new EHIC arrives.

Credit card and Debit cards for each of 2 UK bank accounts
Credit & debit for an EU account
AA card
Tesco Clubcard
Tesco Credit card
Oyster card
Phone top-up card
PADI dive card
Driving licence
York museums card and Minster entry cards
Nation Trust & English Heritage membership cards
Library card

Rob

Check the bottom of your Tesco Credit card, it probably has your clubcard number there and you can use that as a clubcard, even when paying cash or another card.

Slarti

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 8th, 2018, 5:39 pm

I keep my EHIC card in my travel purse along with spare currency and my insurance card thing. Not sure why I would carry it around in the UK all the time.

Mel

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » August 8th, 2018, 6:41 pm

kiloran wrote:What we need is a standardised format of loyalty card which can be loaded with an individual company's details as required, so if I want to participate in, say, Tesco's loyalty card, I take my standard card into Tesco, bung it into a machine, and it programs it with the relevant info. Same piece of plastic, put it into a B&Q machine and it then also functions at B&Q. Must be technically easy, just needs organisations to get together to define a standard.

Quite a number of firms now allow you to use a smartphone app. And of course, you can spend money using another one. Plastic cards are just so last generation :lol:

Gryff

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » August 8th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Interesting thread, except my devious mind goes haywire. I know we are all faceless here, apart from when you meet up in London, (would love to do that one day) but an incredible amount of information for some nasty lurker gathering information and who has no scruples.

Ones very necessary security today is constantly being hacked.

Best.....

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 8th, 2018, 7:15 pm

kiloran wrote:I'm sure loyalty cards have their uses, but there's no way I'm going to carry a bunch of those around. What we need is a standardised format of loyalty card which can be loaded with an individual company's details as required

I carry all my loyalty cards around in my phone in Android Pay. Scan the loyalty card and it generates an image which you can scan in store.

I carry the minimum possible. During the week a VISA credit card (Amex is too unreliable), a train season ticket, and a train photo card. Nothing more.

Only if I am going shopping will I pick up the wallet which has a couple of Amex cards (a Costco card which gives better cash-back and a Platinum card which gives better insurance) and a Mastercard (for when Amex is not taken).

However often I won't bother with taking a wallet at all as I can pay contactless with Android Pay with any of the above cards.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm

nimnarb wrote:
I know we are all faceless here, apart from when you meet up in London, (would love to do that one day) but an incredible amount of information for some nasty lurker gathering information and who has no scruples.

Reading some of these replies, I think some of the posters should be more worried about pick-pockets!!

;)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm

What sort of wallet do people use? I keep mine in my back pocket so it has to be a bit squashy to mould to the shape of my bum, and no press-studs or any fastener or zip of any kind.

The one I use is ok-ish, but only has 8 card slots so I have to double-up some which isn't ideal.

Scott.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » August 8th, 2018, 8:22 pm

swill453 wrote:What sort of wallet do people use? I keep mine in my back pocket so it has to be a bit squashy to mould to the shape of my bum, and no press-studs or any fastener or zip of any kind.

The one I use is ok-ish, but only has 8 card slots so I have to double-up some which isn't ideal.

Scott.

I got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... F8&psc=1on

on the basis of reviews. It is, I think, as good as the reviews suggest for that number of cards..

I carry less than many here, possibly as a result of having my wallet nicked and dealing with the grief of all the cards.

As to what's in it :

Amex ( for airmiles )
Visa ( for when Amex is useless )
Debit ( for ATM use )
Driving licence ( although not sure why now )
National Trust Scotland - again probably not needed daily, but it was used last week.

All the loyalty cards are on my phone. Railcard / Oyster / Sports season ticket I carry when needed ( I don't commute ).

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 8th, 2018, 8:27 pm

swill453 wrote:
What sort of wallet do people use?

Do you mean in the strict sense?

I think these are available in a few different colours -

http://offline.hu/files/u643/hitelkartya.jpg

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » August 8th, 2018, 9:12 pm

swill453 wrote:What sort of wallet do people use? I keep mine in my back pocket so it has to be a bit squashy to mould to the shape of my bum, and no press-studs or any fastener or zip of any kind.

Scott.

Think skip

DM

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 9th, 2018, 12:09 am

melonfool wrote: On Nectar, since I got my Amex linked card, I have had free - an electric toothbrush, a vacuum cleaner, a CD player, a bunch of groceries, some stuff from ebay and I still have £44.

In my experience Nectar offers better than 1 to 1 seem somewhat elusive. It's always possible to use Nectar points for free shopping at Sainsbury's but by comparison with Tesco, what else can you use the points for? With Clubcard, you can purchase half price railcards at double points and also hotels at double or triple excluding the VAT.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”