Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

cards in my wallet

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: cards in my wallet

Postby melonfool » August 9th, 2018, 12:23 am

Alaric wrote:
melonfool wrote: On Nectar, since I got my Amex linked card, I have had free - an electric toothbrush, a vacuum cleaner, a CD player, a bunch of groceries, some stuff from ebay and I still have £44.

In my experience Nectar offers better than 1 to 1 seem somewhat elusive. It's always possible to use Nectar points for free shopping at Sainsbury's but by comparison with Tesco, what else can you use the points for? With Clubcard, you can purchase half price railcards at double points and also hotels at double or triple excluding the VAT.

I've only used them 1 to 1 as I have had so many. Over 40,000 since last year.

I've never found much use for Tesco Clubcard other than the cinema voucher - the food offers are places where I'd rather eat my own feet, can't use Red Spotted Hanky on the train journeys I do, not sure what a 'railcard' is but don't think it's useful for me.....I don't need 'days out' (though I have used them for that in the past), not looked at hotels but again I suspect they are places that are too expensive in the first place and as I don't shop at Tesco really these days (I don't really shop in Sainsbury very often either) I never have many - I think I currently have about £8 worth. Might try and find a magazine subscription.

Mel

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 9th, 2018, 12:34 am

melonfool wrote:not sure what a 'railcard' is but don't think it's useful for me.

A Senior railcard gives a third off ticket prices for "leisure" travel, but you have to be 60 or over. There's a similar offer for the South East of England which includes all the main lines out of London in the commuter zone including to the north.

The Hotel discounts were on prices that were reasonable in the first place. The snag being that hotel prices include VAT which cannot be vouchered.

I've accumulated around £ 200 worth of Nectar, but I'm still waiting for an offer that's better than just a free shop or several in Sainsbury's.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 9th, 2018, 8:40 am

I've come to the conclusion that I am a little odd. I have one of those Tesco metal cardholders, which contains all my bank and credit cards, plus AA and a travel insurance card. I have another thin folder which holds Railcard, bus pass, National Trust and RSPB cards. Only the bus pass has a chip, so it is useful when taking the odd bus journey. Doesn't work on the Oyster system, of course.

In my actual wallet I have all my current membership cards apart from NT and RSPB. EHIC and library cards, Tesco Club card and Nectar card, books of stamps and driving licence.

When I was travelling a lot, I had another card holder with all my frequent flyer cards and hotel loyalty cards. Now not used much. From memory, I was in the BA scheme, the Air France etc scheme, Northwest/KLM, Virgin and Swissair. There might have been others, it's a long time ago.

E&OE

TJH

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » August 9th, 2018, 8:56 am

swill453 wrote:What sort of wallet do people use? I keep mine in my back pocket so it has to be a bit squashy to mould to the shape of my bum, and no press-studs or any fastener or zip of any kind.

The one I use is ok-ish, but only has 8 card slots so I have to double-up some which isn't ideal.

Scott.

Interesting . . . I have never carried my wallet in my back pocket, for two reasons:

- the risk of being pickpocketed.

- it would spoil the line of my bum.

Watis

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » August 9th, 2018, 9:08 am

robbelg wrote:Oyster card
Rob

Do people still use Oyster cards? I got rid of mine when payment by contactless credit/debit card came in.

I only visit London occasionally so there may be some reason they are still used that I am unaware of.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 9th, 2018, 9:20 am

Those entitled to concessionary travel in London get a Freedom Pass on their Oyster Card, which also works elsewhere in England. Provincial concessionary passes do not work on Oyster, as it does not recognise ITSO cards, which you have to show the bus driver.

As you say, contactless card use has essentially made Oyster redundant. However, for we country mice, a senior Railcard gets a nice discount on a One Day Travelcard, which you do not get with the contactless system.

TJH

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 9th, 2018, 10:26 am

I posted here about why I still use Oyster:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13050&p=158169#p158169

I have a purse, not a wallet, and find them much more sensible!

Mel

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 9th, 2018, 10:52 am

Snorvey wrote:Bus pass (as of Friday last)

Happy burfday!

Thanks, but not yet.

Apparently I could have got it last November, a couple of months after my 64th birthday. No idea why.

Slarti

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » August 9th, 2018, 11:40 am

Slarti wrote:
Snorvey wrote:Bus pass (as of Friday last)

Happy burfday!

Thanks, but not yet.

Apparently I could have got it last November, a couple of months after my 64th birthday. No idea why.

Slarti

Because you get it at the current age at which a woman gets her state pension. My wife, who was 64 last month, will have to wait until she is nearly 66.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 9th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Just move to Scotland, everybody still gets a bus pass at 60 here.

Scott.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » August 9th, 2018, 2:01 pm

swill453 wrote:Just move to Scotland, everybody still gets a bus pass at 60 here.

Scott.

or Wales

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 9th, 2018, 2:28 pm

I've got a leather card 'wallet'/holder which takes plastic inserts (hinged on long side with a flap that tucks into wallet)
They dont seem to last very long - any ideas for source of tougher ones?
They aren't easy to find in shops these days - had to order from Amazon last time

Just checking, I have;

Lloyds Amex/Mastercard/Debit
Library cards x 2 (Shropshire/Slough)
Government gateway iD
Cancer Research giftaid card
CAMRA membership (!!)
Arlington Business Park canteen* card
Tesco clubcard
Plus several US dimes for some reason (hoping someone will ask if I can 'spare a dime', so I can take them literally??)

*Café by the Lake. It's a canteen FFS

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » August 9th, 2018, 2:47 pm

A fairly expensive leather wallet with RFID blocking (which works, I've tested it). It's the right size to fit in the front pocket of a pair of Marks and Spencer jeans.

Credit card
Debit card
Local club membership card
Driving licence (you never know when you might need identification)
Swiss Card (credit card size multitool which includes a small knife and a torch)
Pocket Monkey (flat multitool, includes a bottle opener)

No supermarket loyalty cards (most of my shopping is done at Aldi, Lidl and One Stop).

It's always carried in a front trouser pocket. A wallet in your back pocket is prone to falling out, especially when you sit down. Wallets in back pockets are an invitation to pickpockets. Every evening I remove any receipts, tickets, etc. and most of the coins; the bulging caused by loads of receipts and coins causes the greatest amount of wear and tear (no problem with a cheap wallet but when you'd paid over £100 for it you tend to take a bit more care of it)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 9th, 2018, 2:59 pm

I keep cards and money seperate (c card holder left back, wallet right back) so I've got money if one of the two goes missing
Plus - cash and all my cards would be about an inch thick, and I'd lean 10 degrees from vertical when seated...

My wallet is one of those nylon /velcro jobs, just about falling apart. I have no class.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » August 9th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Coutts Current Account Debit Card
Amex Centurion Card
Bellagio Presidential Suite Members Card
and around £500 in folded notes.
I don't carry coins.

Oh and my 'Tingha and Tucker Club' membership card.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 9th, 2018, 5:53 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I've got a leather card 'wallet'/holder which takes plastic inserts (hinged on long side with a flap that tucks into wallet)
They dont seem to last very long - any ideas for source of tougher ones?

They sell the metal ones at Tesco petrol stations for a very low price, £1.99 possibly.

TJH

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 9th, 2018, 6:40 pm

I want to hold on to the leather card holder (present from my mum)
It's the replaceable inserts that are the problem , cheapo vinyl stuff

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » August 10th, 2018, 12:59 am

A few people have mentioned Tesco Clubcards, but I've been using the Tesco Pay app for the past few months, and I'd thoroughly recommend it. It's very simple to install and to use, and it's one more card you can ditch.

I've also started using the BP Me app for buying petrol. The way it works is that you pull up by the pump and enter the pump number in the app, which then unlocks the pump. I always fill the tank, but I think you can specify an amount you want to spend.

You just fill the tank and drive off. It automatically adds your Nectar points if you collect them, and it emails you a receipt.

I think it's excellent. Not only do you avoid having to queue up to pay, but there's a lot of fun in, having filled the tank, looking round furtively then jumping in the car and driving off to the horrified stares of fellow customers! ;)

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 10th, 2018, 9:36 am

Clitheroekid wrote:The way it works is that you pull up by the pump and enter the pump number in the app, which then unlocks the pump.

Long gone are the days when there were notices saying "NO MOBILE PHONES" accompanied with phototgraphs of burned down petrol stations. I asked once 'was that fire caused by a mobile phone then?', and the answer was no, they just used it as an example.......O....K.....so, an example of what can happen when you don't carefully manage gallons of highly flammable liquid?

Mel

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 10th, 2018, 11:41 am

BrummieDave wrote:Coutts Current Account Debit Card
Amex Centurion Card
Bellagio Presidential Suite Members Card
and around £500 in folded notes.
I don't carry coins.

Oh and my 'Tingha and Tucker Club' membership card.

Have you forgotten your helicopter key? Surely you are not so decrepit you have to have a pilot?

Howard

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”