Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

100 credit cards

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
stooz
Site Admin

100 credit cards

Postby stooz » August 13th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Well finally acheived a landmark number in my stoozing activities. I can't remember when I started now - around 2000 maybe - so 18 years.
Its been quiet for a few years but I just received my 100th credit card.

Now, a good few are repeats like MBNA ive had more than a few. and one or two have lasted long enough to get renewal cards.

I took a photo of about 60 once - but got bored editing out the numbers and names to make it safe to post!

I havent paid interest on a credit card for close to 20 years. Not bad I reckon.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: 100 credit cards

Postby chas49 » August 13th, 2018, 9:17 pm

One every couple of months or so! Any other record-breaking stats?

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » August 13th, 2018, 10:14 pm

A good number. I have just received my 3rd virgin card, there has been a few MBNAs along the way. Like you l have never paid interest.

Thanks stooz for help and advice when I started on the route march. Wish we still had the EGG card of free balance transfers, had thousands of pounds earning interest in those days.

Raptor

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 13th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Raptor wrote:Wish we still had the EGG card of free balance transfers, had thousands of pounds earning interest in those days.

Raptor

I still have thousands in play, I have an MBNA mule card for free money transfers to my current accounts etc.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 13th, 2018, 11:08 pm

kempiejon wrote:I still have thousands in play, I have an MBNA mule card for free money transfers to my current accounts etc.

I thought the marketing departments or senior management of credit card providers got wise to the exploits that were possible if you offered interest free credit, hence transfer fees. Perhaps not then.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 14th, 2018, 11:19 am

There are still fee free transfers, I got a year from Tesco a little while back; currently Santander, Sainsbury's, barclay card, Halifax and Lloyds offer free balance transfers and as I said I have a special MBNA card that allows me to transfer and then withdraw balances to my current accounts fee free. Even with fees of say 3% for 30 months there's a margin to be had.
Of course the slow-stooze, spending on interest free and saving that cash until the interest free period expires has never gone away, it's just interest rates are too stingy. If you're creative with a stable of interest paying current accounts and linked regular savers you should be able to squeeze a few extra percent from your savings.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Alaric wrote:
kempiejon wrote:I still have thousands in play, I have an MBNA mule card for free money transfers to my current accounts etc.

I thought the marketing departments or senior management of credit card providers got wise to the exploits that were possible if you offered interest free credit, hence transfer fees. Perhaps not then.

MBNA do a specific card fro transferring money to banks etc, here: https://www.mbna.co.uk/compare-credit-c ... dit-cards/

What I'd like to understand is where to park the money!

Presumably you do the MBNA transfer to the bank, park the money [lord knows where, unless offset mortgage?], then transfer the debt to another BT card with zero interest for.....12....24m etc?

With such low savings interest rates I'm not sure I can stomach the hassle of it.

Mel

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » August 15th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Alaric wrote:

Probably because I worked for one of the best ones and heard me talking about it. Well ok; I discussed it happily with senior management most lunchtimes.. we were all doing it.

sorry!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”