Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

is it too early.....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: is it too early.....

Postby Slarti » August 20th, 2018, 12:04 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
stewamax wrote:
Ice on the inside of the bedroom window was common

Certainly was.

Indeed. Wasn't that the norm for everyone until at least 1980s-affluence?

I don't think so.

Most of my relatives lived in council houses and all had reasonably warm bathrooms by at least the 60s, even if not directly heated.
Though some of my grandparent's generation had outside loos and no bathroom at all.

Slarti

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 21st, 2018, 11:36 am

I can't resist joining in and telling the youngsters here how terrible it was when we were youngsters - ice inside windows and months of snow and ice. However I must confess that, being from a coal mining family, we had cheap coal. We had no central heating, but we had fireplaces in all of the rooms, so dad used to set a coal fire alight in our bedroom on cold winter nights.
An interesting comment from Max Born (in 1953 from Edinburgh University) on one of his letters to Albert Einstein, where he comments on the lack of central heating in Scotland:- "which does not exist here, because the Scots are such hardy fellows that they do not worry about chilblains and arthritis" (from the Born - Einstein Letters - which can be downloaded from a number of sources).

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 21st, 2018, 12:36 pm

scotia wrote:I can't resist joining in and telling the youngsters here how terrible it was when we were youngsters - ice inside windows and months of snow and ice. However I must confess that, being from a coal mining family, we had cheap coal. We had no central heating, but we had fireplaces in all of the rooms, so dad used to set a coal fire alight in our bedroom on cold winter nights.
An interesting comment from Max Born (in 1953 from Edinburgh University) on one of his letters to Albert Einstein, where he comments on the lack of central heating in Scotland:- "which does not exist here, because the Scots are such hardy fellows that they do not worry about chilblains and arthritis" (from the Born - Einstein Letters - which can be downloaded from a number of sources).

Fireplaces in all the rooms? Sheer luxury. All we had was a single coal fire in the living room. A bit parky in the rest of the house (probably because we couldn't afford glass for the windows. At least that stopped ice forming on the windows :D )

--kiloran

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 21st, 2018, 1:09 pm

I too remember the icy cold bathrooms, it was my father's job to light the oil stove in the bathroom in the winter so by the time it was my turn the temperature had crept up to about freezing. Our bathroom was a cavernous affair with high ceilings and one of the first things I did when the house became mine was to have the ceiling lowered, extractor fan , heated towel rail and wall heater fitted. When we moved to the barn we made sure that the bathrooms were toasty warm. Funnily enough though, I can't stand a warm bedroom. It's pleasantly sunny and warm today, around 62deg which as far as I'm concerned is perfect. I found the weather in June and July far too hot.

R6

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 21st, 2018, 2:39 pm

Our bathroom had the benefit of being above the kitchen, with its coal fired range and back boiler. The airing cupboard was in the corner and the hot water tank was a cubic galvanized iron object, long before insulation became common, so that helped. However the fire in the kitchen was not kept in overnight. We also had an immersion heater for use in the summer.

My own bedroom had no heating, being above the hall and staircase, with the open porch underneath my bed head. The cat was a welcome companion at times.

For some reason, my father put a gas fire in the guest bedroom, the main bedroom having a coal fire which I can only recall being lit once in 20 plus years. That room was above the front room, which only had a fire on Sundays most of the year, but there was a one bar electric fire for use in emergencies.

Our first house had a Dunsley back boiler and four radiators, which added considerably to the comfort level. I ran it on coke from horizontal ovens, which could be kept going for two nights and three days before the ash box had to be emptied. Gas coke was softer and might last the night if you were lucky. No roof insulation, which meant that in the winters of 1961-3 ours was the only house not to have a covering of snow on the roof.

TJH

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » August 21st, 2018, 4:24 pm

At lunchtime I saw one of Itsallaguess's relatives:

A 20 something woman wearing a sheepskin jacket !

I was uncomfortably warm in a T shirt.

Rob

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 21st, 2018, 4:56 pm

robbelg wrote:
At lunchtime I saw one of Itsallaguess's relatives:

A 20 something woman wearing a sheepskin jacket !

I was uncomfortably warm in a T shirt.

I do need to report in and say that on the way back to my car after work tonight, I removed both my jacket AND my jumper before getting into the car....

I may live to see the spring...

Itsallaguess

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » August 24th, 2018, 12:26 am

panamagold wrote:Immediately put on 25ug Levothyrox medication

I'd never heard of this drug, so out of curiosity I Googled it.

I was surprised, to put it mildly, to discover that "Levothyroxine is the third most prescribed drug in the UK and the most prescribed in the US" - http://www.british-thyroid-association. ... othyroxine

Sounds like some very good salesmanship by the drug companies!

You do indeed learn something new every day.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » August 24th, 2018, 10:04 am

Wow. It describes 30degC as "nice". Over here that would be a "critical weather warning!".

:lol:

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 24th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Still not tempted to put on the heating but have dug out a cardigan as it's somewhat breezy with a definite wind chill.

R6

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 24th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Still not tempted to put on the heating but have dug out a cardigan as it's somewhat breezy with a definite wind chill.

Is the cardigan made in Cardigan?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » August 24th, 2018, 1:54 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:Still not tempted to put on the heating but have dug out a cardigan as it's somewhat breezy with a definite wind chill.

Is the cardigan made in Cardigan?

Are boots made in Boot?

Watis

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 24th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Watis wrote:Are boots made in Boot?

Watis

Some might be.

Maybe one can ask The Keswick Boot Company if of interest.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 24th, 2018, 3:31 pm

UK frost warning -

Falling temperatures could bring frost to parts of the UK over the bank holiday weekend before warmer weather returns in the autumn.

Chilly mornings as well as heavy rain, strong winds and even hail are forecast as a cold front brings fresher air from the Atlantic.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 06041.html

I think I may be some sort of biological early-warning system.....I don't expect the X-Men to be too interested, mind.....

Itsallaguess

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”