Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Showing my age.....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Showing my age.....

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 4th, 2018, 3:13 pm

I did 'O' Levels which dates me a bit (Oxford, and a different one for French for some reason - possibly JMB or similar?)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » September 4th, 2018, 8:07 pm

I did 'O' Levels which dates me a bit (Oxford, and a different one for French for some reason - possibly JMB or similar?)

I had quite a few different certificates for my O-levels, though no idea why. JMB, Cambridge, Oxford... can't remember them all, but they're still in a folder somewhere. When I left uni, I couldn't find a job in science but got offered a job with BT Mobile Phone dept (when phones weighed a ton!) and they were not interested in degrees or A-levels, but I needed O-level English and Maths. Rush back to parents, find certificates etc. Taught me a useful lesson about not throwing these things away! Which I had come close to doing. :-)

Steve

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » September 4th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Sadly AWOL now but, according to the cover of the paper, I sat an "English Langauge" O-Level exam.

Sent it in to the Telegraph but had a reply back "Thank you...but we can't use it as we are somewhat wary of making fun of other people's spelling mistakes". At the time the Telegraph were notoriously prone to typos before the Grauniad took over the baton.

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » September 5th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Showing my age?

Anyone else remember Space Family Robinson on a Saturday night?
You know, that Robot that used to wave its long arms about like it was having a fit while shouting 'Danger! Danger!'

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 5th, 2018, 9:06 pm

What about the school holiday daytime TV? Robinson Crusoe, Banana Splits, Arabian nights, White Horses, Belle and Sebastian, Flipper, Skippy the Bush Kangaroo.

Most of the theme tunes are hard-coded in my brain.

Scott.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 6th, 2018, 12:58 am

Beerpig wrote:Showing my age?

You know, that Robot that used to wave its long arms about like it was having a fit while shouting 'Danger! Danger!'

I remember "Third rock from the sun".

TJH

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 6th, 2018, 10:26 am

Beerpig wrote:Showing my age?

It was called "Lost in Space".

The robot was recycled from the one that was originally used in "The Forbidden Planet" which was itself a film recycled from "The Tempest" by Shakespeare.

There was a new remake of "Lost in Space " this year, available on Netflix.

John

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » September 6th, 2018, 10:31 am

More about “Space Family Robinson” and then “Lost in Space” here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Family_Robinson

I’d forgotten about the latter and now know the creepy guy was known as Dr. Zachary Smith. Did it turn out he was an alien or something?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 8th, 2018, 4:48 pm

PinkDalek wrote:More about “Space Family Robinson” and then “Lost in Space” here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Family_Robinson

I’d forgotten about the latter and now know the creepy guy was known as Dr. Zachary Smith. Did it turn out he was an alien or something?

Only in the recent film, or rather he got turned into one.

Slarti

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 12th, 2018, 11:51 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
scotia wrote:How about Dick Barton - Special Agent, and Journey Into Space - both on the radio. ...

Isn't this where someone usually mentions the wireless, their old crystal set, the BBC Light Programme and Listen With Mother followed by Mrs Dale's Diary? :)

Yeah!

Did I ever tell you about my crystal set?... :)

cavebat
2 Lemon pips

Postby cavebat » September 13th, 2018, 11:46 am

Snorvey wrote:Whyyyyyyy don't you

Whyyýyyy don't you

Whyyyyyyyy don't you go switch off your television set and go do something less boring instead.

I went to school with a girl who appeared on Why Don't You.

cavebat

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » September 13th, 2018, 12:03 pm

I always get nostalgic when I hear the Taxi theme tune here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tYdd7drSE and get transported back to my early youth - I think it's wonderful.

I only found out a few years ago about Andy Kaufman who played Latka and what an interesting character (if I can put it that way) he seemed to be! If you haven't seen the film 'Man on the Moon', then watch it (Jim Carrey's pretty good in the main role) and you'll see how frustrating he must have been to work with!

Cheers, OLTB.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 13th, 2018, 4:02 pm

OLTB wrote:
I always get nostalgic when I hear the Taxi theme tune here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tYdd7drSE and get transported back to my early youth - I think it's wonderful.

Same here - I loved that show.

Similar nostalgia when I hear this theme-tune too -

Hill Street Blues - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjVelAcJSY4

OLTB wrote:
I only found out a few years ago about Andy Kaufman who played Latka and what an interesting character (if I can put it that way) he seemed to be! If you haven't seen the film 'Man on the Moon', then watch it (Jim Carrey's pretty good in the main role) and you'll see how frustrating he must have been to work with!

I always found him to be a fascinating character, both on and off-screen.

I always wondered how he saw the world - I guess we all see it slightly differently, but at times he seemed to have just landed on the planet as a fully-grown human look-alike, and was just trying to come to grips with the whole new experience, and live on our screens too!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

flopski2
Lemon Pip

Postby flopski2 » September 13th, 2018, 4:43 pm

swill453 wrote:What about the school holiday daytime TV? Robinson Crusoe, Banana Splits, Arabian nights, White Horses, Belle and Sebastian, Flipper, Skippy the Bush Kangaroo.

Scott.

You've missed the Flashing Blade ... worst dubbing in the world ... no idea what was going on but soldiers, sword fighting and castles were great. Best cartoon of that era had to be Marine Boy.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 13th, 2018, 10:15 pm

Ah thanks, I was trying to remember what that one was called - I could just remember the 'life and love and happiness are well worth fighting for' lyrics in the theme
You got to fight for what you want,
For all that you believe.
It's right to fight for what we want,
to live the way we please.

Could almost be The Levellers !

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » September 14th, 2018, 9:42 am

flopski2 wrote:
swill453 wrote:What about the school holiday daytime TV? Robinson Crusoe, Banana Splits, Arabian nights, White Horses, Belle and Sebastian, Flipper, Skippy the Bush Kangaroo.

Scott.

You've missed the Flashing Blade ... worst dubbing in the world ... no idea what was going on but soldiers, sword fighting and castles were great. Best cartoon of that era had to be Marine Boy.

Singing Ringing Tree and Heidi were two other dubbed favourites.

And regarding Taxi, Hill Street Blues, etc, the interesting thing for me is remembering watching all this stuff as a family. These days my kids watch almost no telly - just Youtube videos normally sat in a separate room to us. If I can persuade them to watch anything with me it feels like a massive parenting success, as opposed to tv watching being bad for kids. Even then the only stuff they will watch is Strictly/Bake-off/X factor stuff. Although my eldest is also into 'Death in Paradise' which, as I remind her constantly, is no Columbo!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”