Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

New Word

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: New Word

Postby DiamondEcho » December 6th, 2016, 1:38 pm

I once hired a consultant to work on a financial project, and it turned out Roberta had previously been Robert. I'm pretty worldly but it still came as rather a surprise. Attending a BBQ lunch one w/e at her place was a genuine :shock: moment, there was every gender/sexuality-iteration there. The surgeon who did her op and myself might have been the only straight guests. To add to the confusion Roberta was lesbian and had an equally diverse/complex partner.
The journey home afterwards was interesting. I was kindly offered a lift by a couple of other guests. They had been male and converted to female, and then formed a lesbian relationship. They were both certainly 6' tall and both had long 'big' back-combed spiky blonde hair [reminded me somewhat of Tina Turner's cut] and were dressed in gold lame, pelmet skirts included. When I accepted the lift [I hesitate to say ride] I hadn't realised they had a convertible car. It was a glorious summer afternoon and they put the roof down. As we got closer to my place [W2] the traffic got heavier and slower, until tourists on Bayswater Road [by Hyde Park] starting drawing in to take photos of this decidedly odd-couple + 'lil ol' me not knowing where to look squeezed into the back.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 6th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Snorvey wrote:'Pansexual'

adjective
not limited in sexual choice with regard to biological sex, gender, or gender identity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38212058

I was this on the BBC website today, What I can't work out is how to differentiate this from 'bi-sexual'. As there are only 2 biological sexes bi seems an adequate description. Even a male going with another male who considers himself a female is still covered by the bi classification.

I might need some retraining in gender awareness but the news report struck me as someone trying to make an issue for publicity purposes.

OK, I'm a dinosaur on these matters, I know it.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 6th, 2016, 8:41 pm

"I once hired a consultant to work on a financial project, and it turned out Roberta had previously been Robert. I'm pretty worldly but it still came as rather a surprise."

I've experienced that the other way around. I was interviewed for a consultant job once by a woman who was very evidently born as a genetic male. I am convinced to this day that the real test was how I responded, given that she was not (in the lingo) "passable".
Last edited by Lootman on December 6th, 2016, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » December 6th, 2016, 8:48 pm

sg31 wrote:
Snorvey wrote:'Pansexual'

adjective
not limited in sexual choice with regard to biological sex, gender, or gender identity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38212058

I was this on the BBC website today, What I can't work out is how to differentiate this from 'bi-sexual'. As there are only 2 biological sexes* bi seems an adequate description. Even a male going with another male who considers himself a female is still covered by the bi classification.

I might need some retraining in gender awareness but the news report struck me as someone trying to make an issue for publicity purposes.

OK, I'm a dinosaur on these matters, I know it.

My understanding is that the term pansexual is a 'label for those who reject labels'. (Well, one can but try...) One description I read was of a woman who claimed she fell for the person first, regardless of their gender - so if she fancied someone, she wouldn't hold back merely on the basis that they weren't of the sex that people of her ilk (gay/straight/whatever) were supposed to 'go for'. We like who we like and there's no rule that we have to fit into neat little boxes. Even when you're dead, that's optional. ;)

My personal main objection to the term is, it reminds me of the creepy tale of Peter Pan, which surely ought to be banned, if only on the grounds of awful.

*FYI, as well as born-male, born-female, transgender, there are a small number of 'intersex' individuals. Generally these have had to be given a somewhat arbitrary gender classification because legally, a birth must be registered as either/or.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 6th, 2016, 9:52 pm

LadyGagarin, thanks for the explanation. It strikes me that the young lady in question is actually labelling herself. I don't imagine many people would be interested in what she gets up to if she didn't make an issue of it.

I lived in Brighton for nearly 30 years and people just got on and did their own thing. I thought Brighton was an exception in that respect but now I'm living in the Midlands and it's the same here, nobody cares about peoples sexuality

At least now if someone says they are 'pansexual' I'll be able to look disinterested rather than puzzled.

RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Postby RowdyReptile » December 7th, 2016, 1:37 am

On a side note, where would a pansexual go to the bathroom though?

I mean, if your genitalia says perhaps you should visit the ladies' room, but your mind says you feel like a man that particular day, it would seem to be very confusing for them. It makes me worry for them.

Having a sit on The Loo has been controversial in the US, so I was wondering what the British thought on this matter. The US has progressed in some ways, but it seems on the basics, we are lost. Nobody knows how to go to the can anymore without offending or scaring someone.

RR

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 7th, 2016, 2:23 am

RowdyReptile wrote:
I mean, if your genitalia says perhaps you should visit the ladies' room, but your mind says you feel like a man that particular day, it would seem to be very confusing for them. It makes me worry for them.

Having a sit on The Loo has been controversial in the US, so I was wondering what the British thought on this matter. The US has progressed in some ways, but it seems on the basics, we are lost. Nobody knows how to go to the can anymore without offending or scaring someone.

The rules are clear, logical and universal

If you are a pre-op M2F TS then you go to the gents
If you are a pre-op F2M TS then you go to the ladies
If you are a post-op M2F TS then you go to the ladies
If you are a post-op F2M TS then you go to the gents

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 7th, 2016, 2:36 am

LadyGagarin wrote:*FYI, as well as born-male, born-female, transgender, there are a small number of 'intersex' individuals. Generally these have had to be given a somewhat arbitrary gender classification because legally, a birth must be registered as either/or.

It's not binary, The San Francisco municipal database for employees has 22 different values for the category of gender, following this:

https://www.okcupid.com/deep-end/identity

New York has 31 genders:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/24/new-y ... dentities/

Whilst FaceBook allows for 58 genders:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... ook-users/

RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Postby RowdyReptile » December 7th, 2016, 3:43 am

Lootman wrote: If you are a pre-op M2F TS then you go to the gents

Well, that helps to clear things up, surely. One wonders, if some are so confused, that they should keep the best parts of both sexes. In that way, they can, well, screw themselves.

I am however glad that a man can use the ladies room now in the US. We are taking care of the important things over here.

RR

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 7th, 2016, 7:26 am

Lootman wrote:If you are a pre-op M2F TS then you go to the gents

That's so binary. You're always either one or the other! When I were a lad we had Victor Borge, and three sexes.

Given Pan's sylvan heritage, isn't it extraordinarily narrow-minded to confine the pansexual to just the one species of partner?

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » December 7th, 2016, 7:42 am

RowdyReptile wrote:On a side note, where would a pansexual go to the bathroom though?

RR

We have apparently already adopted 'gender-fluidity', so as far as I can see, the concept of Ladies and Gents or Boys and Girls is finished. It would seem that from now on the only practical solution is entirely separate facilities, with all accessories in each room. It's going to be a very expensive proposition for everyone providing toilets.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Being able to whip out your todger and go for a pee in a convenient but discreet manner is the one and only thing I've ever envied about the male sex. Halfway up a mountain with no bulky cover in sight and desparate to spend a penny is not a predicament to be welcomed.

R6

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 7th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Being able to whip out your todger and go for a pee in a convenient but discreet manner is the one and only thing I've ever envied about the male sex. Halfway up a mountain with no bulky cover in sight and desparate to spend a penny is not a predicament to be welcomed.

R6

I can see your point, it is an advantage.

I've always envied the female ability to have multiple orgasms. If men had been given that option there wouldn't have been any wars, we would have been too busy.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 7th, 2016, 6:19 pm

Wow - I'd never considered it in those terms.... :lol:

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » December 7th, 2016, 8:47 pm

Please don't be concerned for the pansexual. AIUI the term is about who you prefer to have sex with rather than your gender. Just as both gay and straight men use the same public toilets.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 7th, 2016, 8:51 pm

LadyGagarin wrote:Just as both gay and straight men use the same public toilets.

But perhaps in different ways?

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » December 7th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Lootman wrote:
LadyGagarin wrote:Just as both gay and straight men use the same public toilets.

But perhaps in different ways?

LOL

RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Postby RowdyReptile » December 9th, 2016, 1:23 am

Sussexlad wrote:
RowdyReptile wrote: We have apparently already adopted 'gender-fluidity', so as far as I can see, the concept of Ladies and Gents or Boys and Girls is finished. It would seem that from now on the only practical solution is entirely separate facilities, with all accessories in each room. It's going to be a very expensive proposition for everyone providing toilets.

WEll, I imagine the fluidity of the situation is the heart of the matter, then. The Loo is where we go to let loose of these fluids, and quite frankly, it is a normal biological function, and shouldn't be so controversial. If you got to go, you got to go, right.

Biology though. hmmm.... IF you have a penis, go to the mens room. Not sure why that is an issue. There are science deniers, economic deniers and biology deniers I suppose.

RR

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » December 9th, 2016, 7:17 am

RowdyReptile wrote:Biology though. hmmm.... IF you have a penis, go to the mens room. Not sure why that is an issue. There are science deniers, economic deniers and biology deniers I suppose.
RR

The problem with that is, that apparently for a growing number of people, the presence or absence of said equipment does not define their gender so using a particular toilet then becomes a matter of personal choice. In those circumstances segregation is meaningless and you either go for individual facilities or the cheaper option of a communal space !

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 9th, 2016, 10:14 am

Belgo Nord in Chalk Fram Road, London has had unisex facilities for at least 20 years with no problems,

The French have that system where the urinals are outside the cubicles which are unisex and it seems to work OK.

I have to say I was grateful for my penis yesterday. I was travelling to Croydon which took about 2 hours, had just dropped something off and was in the middle of the town with nowhere to stop and got seriously caught short. I was bursting...prostate/age/coffee etc... nowhere to stop for a pee at all. I found a car park, parked in the corner and had to go at the back of my car into a drain. Phew that was a relief!

John

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”