Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What's your drug?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: What's your drug?

Postby redsturgeon » September 6th, 2018, 7:20 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
swill453 wrote:Those rare occasions when you can be over 1000m up on top of a Scottish mountain, lying in the sunshine without a breath of wind and able to see 100 miles all around.

An experience that's only really complete when you've done it in your birthday suit.

Safest on a peak where the sound of anyone approaching reaches you before you see each other.

Ha ha! Been there done that. Used to walk the highlands on the West Coast of Scotland every May, usually beautiful weather and no midges! Over five years I don't think we ever met anyone else up the mountain trail.

John

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 6th, 2018, 7:39 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:An experience that's only really complete when you've done it in your birthday suit.

Safest on a peak where the sound of anyone approaching reaches you before you see each other.

Ha ha! Been there done that.

I find it satisfying enough with my clothes on. Didn't even know that was a thing.

Scott.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 6th, 2018, 8:22 pm

swill453 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:An experience that's only really complete when you've done it in your birthday suit.

Ha ha! Been there done that.

I find it satisfying enough with my clothes on. Didn't even know that was a thing.

Scott.

Just a small thing...it was chilly! :)

John

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » September 6th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Don't you mean too little information?

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » September 6th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Food..............Caviar, foie gras, souffle(can't find the accent), baked alaska, smoked salmon, champers, beef wellington, rack of lamb, roast potatoes, lashings of gravy, any eggs on toast, beans on toast with marmite, bread pud(and custard)antique hine and big boobs :lol:

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » September 7th, 2018, 9:41 am

bionichamster wrote:Now I totally get this, perhaps the deepest satisfaction I get is from making things or fixing stuff. I like DIY whether it’s in the house or on the car, plastering, kitchen fitting, flooring, roofing, plumbing etc, it’s great to stand back and review a job well done. But it’s fixing things I really love furniture, tools, ornaments, mechanical stuff, electrical things, almost anything really; Mrs BH often wonders why I don’t “throw it away and buy a new one” but she fails to realise that it’s the pleasure of returning something to useful service, getting one over on our consumer throw-away society and the additional buzz of avoiding the high cost of trade labour rates for stuff that needs fixing that it’s really about.

BH

Where are you? Roughly.

I ask because I have a rotovator that needs fixing and I don't have time to do it. I no longer need the machine as I had to hire one to do the job I needed it for.

I bought it off Amazon, its a Hyundai, it's brand new. When it arrived it didn't work so I sent it back under warranty. When it came back it still didn't work so I contacted Amazon who gave me a full refund and told me not to bother sending it back but to 'dump it'. So I have a brand new machine that I no longer need, sitting in my garage taking up space and I can't bring myself to take it to the tip. It's engine (139cc) works fine but the drive belt keeps coming off constantly, I bought a new drive belt to replace the existing one but it didn't help.

If you are near enough you can have it if you want to fix it or if a 139cc engine is any use for another project. I don't want it back, it's yours to use or sell at your option. I just don't have the heart to take a brand new machine to the tip.

If it's of no use to you, I will open the offer to anyone else who might want to tinker with it. (or use it for spares)

(I'll deliver it within 50 miles or so, I'm in Kidderminster area.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NQAJq72Zo

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 7th, 2018, 11:08 am

sg31 wrote:Where are you? Roughly.

<snip>

(I'll deliver it within 50 miles or so, I'm in Kidderminster area.)

Sounds like a "LemonFool meets Freecycle" :)

If the distance is too great, the challenge will be to build a chain of Lemons who can pass it along until it arrives at the required location...

(I'm in Cheshire if it's heading North...)

VRD

pds2008
Lemon Pip

Postby pds2008 » September 7th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Arriving somewhere I have never been before - on my own, no idea where I am, having to get my bearings whilst the world I have arrived in is whizzing all around me - preferably a train or bus station rather than some anonymous arrivals terminal. I love the mix of excitement, trepidation, nerves and self awareness - plus drinking in new sights, sounds and smells.

Maybe I've been lucky, or maybe being six foot plus and quite a big bugger - but I've never had a bad experience - but have had several memorable ones.

On the other hand - I am not so adventurous that I will travel cattle class. I'd rather pay for business class and then stay in a cheap hotel.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » September 7th, 2018, 9:01 pm

I see no mention of sex on the thread......anyone remember that?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 7th, 2018, 10:06 pm

SCUBA diving. Specifcally that moment after starting a dive trip when I've my equipment adjusted just right, the correct amount of lead on/adjusted, I'm relaxed enough not to be holding a large residual lung volume (of air), and it literally feels like being on a space walk - complete neutral buoyancy. The first time you master that as a diver, it's like main-lining something mesmerically enchanting.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 7th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Leothebear wrote:I see no mention of sex on the thread......anyone remember that?

It's a great source for my drug (see above). But I didn't mention it, perhaps in part because I was addressing the OP's question about the economics of it, and to discuss that with reference to sex is way above my pay grade.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 8th, 2018, 12:55 am

Time was when I was working in the process plant contracting business, negotiating multi-million pound contracts. I can tell you that bringing a contract to a successful conclusion brings considerable satisfaction. Walking out from an unacceptable situation also gives a similar buzz, especially if the eventual winner makes an absolute hash of the job.

It is gambling with real money for very high stakes.

TJH

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 8th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:What is the thing that most gets your heart racing?

Is it shopping? Is it gardening? Hobbies?

Well gardening does get my heart racing, but only because it is such b hard work and I do it as fast as possible to get it over and done with. Similar to hovering.

The other things that get my heart racing are usually not good things, like the motorcyclist who tried to decapitate himself on my car by taking a right hand bend way too fast on a narrow road. He saw me just in time to straighten up enough to miss my car, but did end up well into a field, with a broken bike. Luckily he was only a bit bruised. Took me nearly 2 hours to get my heart rate back to normal after that and my fingers are tingling now, just thinking about it, 4 days later.

I don't want my heart racing, thank you.

Slarti

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 8th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Slarti wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:What is the thing that most gets your heart racing?

Is it shopping? Is it gardening? Hobbies?

Well gardening does get my heart racing, but only because it is such b hard work and I do it as fast as possible to get it over and done with. Similar to hovering.
Slarti

I think mastering the art of levitation would raise the heart-rate of most of us :D

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 8th, 2018, 8:54 pm

kiloran wrote:I think mastering the art of levitation would raise the heart-rate of most of us :D

--kiloran

Too easy. I am levitated right now, by the power of the sofa I'm sitting on.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 9th, 2018, 12:08 am

What gets me going? Rage at the imbecility of a Sat Nav, and even greater rage at myself for following its instructions. Exiting from the car park of the Old Bell Hotel in Malmesbury , it insisted on taking me down a steep, twisting, narrow lane to a footbridge! I recovered after a 10 point turn, aided by friendly locals who indicated that my predicament was not uncommon.
What gets me going in a happier fashion? Planning, hopefully, to catch a trout. It must be possible - the club champion does it with ease. Mind you, one of our other club members insists that our champion could catch a trout in a puddle. I certainly have not caught a trout in a puddle, and I have caught precious few in our loch this summer. But hope remains. And when the season ends in a month's time, I have 6 months of planning, and tying devilishly clever flies which are sure to catch trout next season.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 9th, 2018, 11:28 am

Some people think fish are just dumb creatures, acting by instinct.

I've dived under a pier, with anglers above lowering baited hooks into the water at the edge of the pier; it's fascinating to watch the little fishes pick the hooks clean, delicately avoiding the hook itself. I swear I watched one fish take the last morsel, then (still avoiding the hook) give the line a tug, as if to ring a bell requesting more!

Not so much a "get your heart going" moment, but definitely a magical one I'd happily repeat.

VRD

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » September 9th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Where are you? Roughly.

I ask because I have a rotovator that needs fixing and I don't have time to do it. I no longer need the machine as I had to hire one to do the job I needed it for.

I bought it off Amazon, its a Hyundai, it's brand new. When it arrived it didn't work so I sent it back under warranty. When it came back it still didn't work so I contacted Amazon who gave me a full refund and told me not to bother sending it back but to 'dump it'. So I have a brand new machine that I no longer need, sitting in my garage taking up space and I can't bring myself to take it to the tip. It's engine (139cc) works fine but the drive belt keeps coming off constantly, I bought a new drive belt to replace the existing one but it didn't help.

Thanks for the offer I’d be happy to give it a go, but Perthshire is quite a way from Kiddiminster! It would however seem fairly obscene to throw it away (even though some of these devices make you feel like it!) so please do try and find someone to take it, perhaps there’s some reuse group or charity in the area who might be prepared to take it? Maybe an allotment group (might give you some veg as a swap!)

I spent an hour yesterday getting a long reach hedge trimmer to work. I bought it last year secondhand, but it was virtually brand new. I used it once and then it sat for a few months. The next time I used it the engine would tick-over but would die as soon as you applied throttle, I tried all the obvious things but no luck. The carb seemed to have no scope for adjustment, I tried cleaning it, fresh fuel, spark plug, preheating, swearing; but nothing. It would run all day on tickover it just wouldn’t actually cut (Google suggests this is a common ailment with this device and no definitive cure). After several fiddles and tinkers I finally decided to replace the carb; it’s not easy to get parts for some of these cheap far eastern bits of kit, I couldn’t find a carb repair kit (some times same price as a whole carb anyway) but an hour or so online and I eventually found someone selling what looked like the correct carb. £18 and a week later plus a bit of a panic when after fitting I realised the throttle was round the wrong way (it unscrews from the carb and can be rotated 180 (phew)and low and behold it works!!! Yay, ok it cost me £18 but the local repair place would have charged me that plus vat just to look at it, and probably another £30 for a carb so all in, a decent result, plus I’ll strip the old carb and see if anything can be done with it. So that was my ‘buzz’ for the weekend.
BH

Apologies for format and grammar, I’ve been using a smart phone and it’s anightmare to write a long post and edit it!

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » September 9th, 2018, 11:41 pm

I'd agree that a lot of the activities mentioned may well be very enjoyable, and I'd particularly endorse fishing, good food and drink and arriving somewhere for the first time, full of anticipation.

But I couldn't honestly say that any of them (with the sadly rare exception of hooking a really big fish) would normally get my heart racing - which is just as well, as my ticker would probably have expired long ago if that were the case.

A good game of footy can do it, particularly where Liverpool need a goal to qualify with 3 minutes to go!

I also agree with HYD that gambling can have that effect. I do enjoy it, and bet quite regularly (often against Liverpool, which is, I'm pleased to say, proving expensive this season). But I don't bet large sums, and I'd be frankly horrified to think I'd lost £100k - there's no way on earth that gambling would ever give me anywhere near that much pleasure.

There appears to have been an informal pact to avoid discussing carnal methods of getting the heart going, so I'll happily sign up to that ;)

But I think I can probably claim with some confidence to be the only Lemon Fool whose heart is set racing on a regular basis by the joys of litigation! In many ways it is a form of gambling, though the information available to assess the odds is far more plentiful than most other forms of gambling. But it's all about getting evidence, building a case and then going in to battle with your opponent. Like any battle, there are twists and turns, but there often comes a moment - the sweet spot - when you suddenly know you've won. And the kick that gives is better than any drug.

It also involves a lot of strategy - using various techniques to convince your oppo that your case is far better than it really is or that theirs is fatally flawed - and there's a lot of "who blinks first", as well. I really enjoy this, and at the risk of blowing my own trumpet I'm good at it, though a lot of that is down to thirty odd years' experience. This is one of the very few jobs where you really can get better as you get older (well, up to a point!) and as you get better at the job so it becomes more enjoyable.

Of course you can't win all the time, and losing (or far more commonly settling on disappointing terms) - particularly when you expected to win - can be like a very bad hangover. But it soon fades, and the next case that comes in gets the adrenaline running again.

I particularly enjoy pursuing a classic baddie - often a fraudster or someone who's screwed my client over. It really is like hunting, and you have to use all sorts of cunning strategies in the pursuit. And if I can finally nail him that's just a fantastic feeling - the knight on a white charger syndrome!

I think HYD asked on another thread whether anyone really loved their job. Well as you may have guessed, the answer for me is a most definite yes. I feel extremely privileged to have been granted a licence to have an inordinate amount of fun, to have changed quite a few people's lives for the better and to have made a very decent living out of it :D

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » September 16th, 2018, 7:29 pm

bionichamster wrote:

Where are you? Roughly.

Thanks for the offer I’d be happy to give it a go, but Perthshire is quite a way from Kiddiminster! It would however seem fairly obscene to throw it away (even though some of these devices make you feel like it!) so please do try and find someone to take it, perhaps there’s some reuse group or charity in the area who might be prepared to take it? Maybe an allotment group (might give you some veg as a swap!)

I spent an hour yesterday getting a long reach hedge trimmer to work. I bought it last year secondhand, but it was virtually brand new. I used it once and then it sat for a few months. The next time I used it the engine would tick-over but would die as soon as you applied throttle, I tried all the obvious things but no luck. The carb seemed to have no scope for adjustment, I tried cleaning it, fresh fuel, spark plug, preheating, swearing; but nothing. It would run all day on tickover it just wouldn’t actually cut (Google suggests this is a common ailment with this device and no definitive cure). After several fiddles and tinkers I finally decided to replace the carb; it’s not easy to get parts for some of these cheap far eastern bits of kit, I couldn’t find a carb repair kit (some times same price as a whole carb anyway) but an hour or so online and I eventually found someone selling what looked like the correct carb. £18 and a week later plus a bit of a panic when after fitting I realised the throttle was round the wrong way (it unscrews from the carb and can be rotated 180 (phew)and low and behold it works!!! Yay, ok it cost me £18 but the local repair place would have charged me that plus vat just to look at it, and probably another £30 for a carb so all in, a decent result, plus I’ll strip the old carb and see if anything can be done with it. So that was my ‘buzz’ for the weekend.
BH

Apologies for format and grammar, I’ve been using a smart phone and it’s anightmare to write a long post and edit it!

Thanks for the reply. As you say Perthshire is rather a long way away. Congratulations on sorting out the hedge trimmer, a sterling effort.

Maybe the best option is to throw the offer open to other posters. If there is anyone interested in taking on the challenge of sorting out the drive belt problem on a brand new rotovator please contact me and I will deliver it to you within a 50 mile radius.

The rotovator will be yours to do with as you please. It cost me nothing, Amazon refunded the purchase price.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”