Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Stonehenge

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Stonehenge

Postby brightncheerful » September 20th, 2018, 5:27 pm

"Stonehenge photos recreated for centenary project" -https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-45579279

I can remember as a child my parents taking me to Stonehenge as a stop en-route when we were travelling to Cornwall for holidays. I used to think it fascinating that whomsoever built it had erected the stones in the middle of nowhere. That was before I realised that once upon a time almost every human settlement in (rural) England was in the middle of nowhere.

Later on when old enough to visit Stonehenge on my own and with friend, not family, amongst the more pleasurable experiences was being able to ignore the long queues of tourists waiting to go in and instead go straight in waiving my English Heritage pass.

I much prefer Avebury.

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Re: Stonehenge

Postby Gaggsy » September 20th, 2018, 6:13 pm

By coincidence, we recently found some pictures of the family at Stonehenge in 1971.
It was perfectly normal to be able to access the stones at the time.

maximan
2 Lemon pips

Postby maximan » September 20th, 2018, 6:33 pm

Hi Gaggsy
was just looking at your photo when others popped up on the BBC news. Another coincidence.
Nice photo by the way.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » September 21st, 2018, 1:18 am

I find the story of Stonehenge, what is known about it, absolutely fascinating.

However, the spectacle of it must be one of the most disappointing things that a foreign tourist (and UK tourist) could ever imagine.

You cannot, now, get anywhere near the stones, because they're all roped off.

So what is the point?

I understand that American/Japanese tourists (insert other countries here) need to visit everything within a two week vacation but seriously? Stick to London.

Stonehenge is an enormous disappointment.

It costs over £50 to visit Stonehenge, if you travel from London. For God's Sake, visiting the Tower of London or Hampton Court Palace will cost you far less than that and give you much much more entertainment/education about our history.

If you only have two weeks, just stick to London.

HYD

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 21st, 2018, 8:45 am

Howyoudoin wrote:
I understand that American/Japanese tourists (insert other countries here) need to visit everything within a two week vacation but seriously? Stick to London.

HYD

I hear that Salisbury is a popular tourist destination these days.

Watis

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 21st, 2018, 1:47 pm

Howyoudoin wrote: Stonehenge is an enormous disappointment. It costs over £50 to visit Stonehenge, if you travel from London.

There is a perfectly acceptable view of Stonehenge from the A303. It's about as close to the stones as the visitor centre is.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”