Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Any preppers here?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Any preppers here?

Postby scotia » September 26th, 2018, 12:31 am

tjh290633 wrote:I saw it many years ago. Can't remember where or who was in it. Could have been a film, even. Michael Wilding?

TJH

I saw an excellent production of it at Pitlochry Festival Theatre a few years ago, and it was brought to mind by another excellent production at Pitlochry, which I attended this evening of Barrie's Quality Street - roughly the same vintage, around 1902.
And my apologies with my earlier quote of the proverb Cometh the Man - which , of course, should be sensibly updated to include "or Woman".

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 26th, 2018, 8:44 am

tjh290633 wrote:I saw it many years ago. Can't remember where or who was in it. Could have been a film, even. Michael Wilding?

TJH

I too saw it many years ago. The one I saw certainly wasn't a film. I *think* it was a production doing the circuit of regional theatres alongside a west-end run, so it could have come your way around the same time.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » September 26th, 2018, 8:48 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote: ...a second mobile phone, a cheap pay-as-you-go phone using a different network.

Handy hint -if you've got Vodafone or O2 get an EE or Three mobile, and vice versa.
Although the networks are separate further up the chain Voda/O2, and EE/3 mast share, so if you lose the mast you'll lose both sharers (generally)

Who do you imagine will be operating them? I suspect they will be one of the first services to fold and be taken out.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 26th, 2018, 11:07 am

I assume SalvorHardin would have a second mobile for use in localised emergency situations. Obviously in the event of the end of civilisation as we know it, the mobile networks are going to go down. Plus, the operators can restrict access to certain user groups in emergencies - general public 'barred'

I was just pointing out that to get genuine benefit from two mobiles you need to pick one from (O2/Voda) and one from (EE/3)
i.e. if you have an O2 and Voda SIM and the local mast gets blown over/suffers power cut, you will lose both operators

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » September 26th, 2018, 11:20 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I assume SalvorHardin would have a second mobile for use in localised emergency situations. Obviously in the event of the end of civilisation as we know it, the mobile networks are going to go down. Plus, the operators can restrict access to certain user groups in emergencies - general public 'barred'

I was just pointing out that to get genuine benefit from two mobiles you need to pick one from (O2/Voda) and one from (EE/3)
i.e. if you have an O2 and Voda SIM and the local mast gets blown over/suffers power cut, you will lose both operators

Yes. The second phone is for local emergencies and because the mobile phone coverage in some areas where I regularly travel is poor to non-existant (I use ee and Vodaphone is my backup) put it mildly. If civilisation collapses the mobiles won't work after a while (I do have walkie talkies, though they are really only used when hiking).

I had lunch in a pub yesterday, about four miles from where I live, where there is no mobile phone coverage from any network. You have to walk about fifty yards to the "main road" (a country lane) in order to get any signal. Townies have been know to get somewhat agitated when they discover that such blindspots still exist. Rumour has it that if you sit by one particular window you can get a signal, though I've yet to see it :D

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 26th, 2018, 5:23 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:I had lunch in a pub yesterday, about four miles from where I live, where there is no mobile phone coverage from any network. You have to walk about fifty yards to the "main road" (a country lane) in order to get any signal. Townies have been know to get somewhat agitated when they discover that such blindspots still exist. Rumour has it that if you sit by one particular window you can get a signal, though I've yet to see it :D

You can tell which of our local pubs have no mobile reception. They're the ones with full-up car parks at lunchtime. The clientele can sit there reading their emails via wifi, but if the boss can't call them then that's a plus, innit?

BJ

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 26th, 2018, 6:58 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote:I had lunch in a pub yesterday, about four miles from where I live, where there is no mobile phone coverage from any network. You have to walk about fifty yards to the "main road" (a country lane) in order to get any signal. Townies have been know to get somewhat agitated when they discover that such blindspots still exist. Rumour has it that if you sit by one particular window you can get a signal, though I've yet to see it :D

You can tell which of our local pubs have no mobile reception. They're the ones with full-up car parks at lunchtime. The clientele can sit there reading their emails via wifi, but if the boss can't call them then that's a plus, innit?

BJ

Nearly all networks support WiFi calling now, and you can also use apps like Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp among others. Lack of network will not prevent calls these days!

Mel

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 27th, 2018, 12:26 am

neversay wrote:I'm not exactly predicting the end of the world, but just wondering to what extent others here have back-up plans?
The risk that concerns me most is short-term loss of power/heat for whatever reason (e.g. cyber attack, power lines down) as our household is totally dependent on mains gas/electric. I was wondering whether getting a small portable gas heater 'just in case' was a sensible move or whether I'm just being too cautious. How much do others here prepare for 'the worst'? N.

Having just returned from living in a virtual war-zone I suggest the following:

- If you think the s*** is going to hit the fan then fill all available large containers with drinking water. Do this within 1-2hrs of the bombs first dropping, or others will drain the mains dry before it's inevitably cut off.
- Be ready to barricade your front door and windows vs bomb blasts. Full 10L of water bottles rowed up down window-sills is a good idea, to store rations, and absorb bomb blasts.

The internet will go, nothing you can do. Power/heat will also go, doesn't matter. Sanctuary, water/occasional food and comms are what you need, in that order.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » September 27th, 2018, 12:36 am

DiamondEcho wrote:Having just returned from living in a virtual war-zone I suggest the following:

Good tip, but I'm wondering: when you come back from a virtual war-zone, does it make you (i) want to be more prepared here in the UK? or (ii) not even bother preparing as we should stop worrying and 'count our blessings'?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 27th, 2018, 2:31 pm

neversay wrote:Good tip, but I'm wondering: when you come back from a virtual war-zone, does it make you (i) want to be more prepared here in the UK? or (ii) not even bother preparing as we should stop worrying and 'count our blessings'?

Haha, a thought provoking question, thanks! It makes me accutely aware of the mood on the street. What I experienced probably only occurs in iron-man led autocracies, when their rule is threatened, the dung hits the fan fast and big-time. But such countries perhaps exist in part via 'the regime' having it's tentacles down into every facet of your life; for example we had to assume that all our comms was being monitored 24/7. We had a nick-name we used if we wanted to mention this iron-man in conversation, even in our own home, something that only we knew, zero risk of it being over-heard and held against us. Even then you hesitated and whispered. This ironically seemed to translate into generally high civic order, ie you saw very little crime in your daily life as people were terrified of the consequences.
[I realise, again, that even now I am instinctively afraid to be more specific than ^ re: who/where. I wonder when or if that will ever wear off... truly strange].

I think here what with democracy, as imperfect as it is, there would be a lot of warning signs before becoming a prepper made sense for me. In the absence of autocracy here perhaps it would take a broad break-down of government. There would be vast protests/riots, with mass arrests and jailings of opponents. You might see some politicians being assassinated. People you know who aren't friends as such [perhaps neighbours, colleagues, and so on] would stop sharing any political opinions with you, not knowing which camp you're in. You will be in a state of near-constant fear, but to get through the day you have to control it, and so you do. The regime would control the entire media as any 'oppo' channels/websites/newspapers etc would be shut down by the state. Those are the kind of things that would really get my attention as warnings.

- Ironically the above might sounds rather ambivalent but the circumstances that 'prepping' are a contingency against do not happen in one day, and if they're happening you cannot fail to notice, the build-up to it will be THE only topic of conversation on an ongoing basis amongst close friends. It feels like you're facing imminent war and it's literally terrifying, genuinely, terrible!
But the flip-side is that I now feel a situation that comes with liberal democracy here, the streets feel lawless and I perceive walking around my neighbourhood [where when I have lived when the UK has been my home, since 1992] the primary threat to my well-being. It might sound perverse but I miss the sense that people are afraid of the police and justice. There seems to be a pervasive sense of lawlessness. Going out feels like it has a good chance of becoming a random wild-west experience. Not helped by me seeing a mobile-mugger on my first day back, plus the un-worried public smoking of cannabis every time I go out.

I won't bring politics into it, but I'll be paying very close attention if there are mass anti-government protests that perhaps morph into riots and looting.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » September 27th, 2018, 10:18 pm

@DiamondEcho - a very interesting answer, thanks. I find it's one thing to travel and be in other cultures, but far harder adjusting to being back home (a sort of strange familiarity).

The expression 'wild west' came into my mind as I read your response and before you used the term. I get that sense here too. At night, it's not a 'thin blue line', it's practically no line whatsoever. Coincidentally I've listed to most of 'The strange death of Europe' audiobook while on the road the last couple of days. It's quite striking that the traditional shared belief systems (like respect for authority) that preserve social order are rapidly disappearing. Sticking to the theme of this thread, you have made me think that social disobedience/disturbance is one risk that I haven't considered enough.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 27th, 2018, 11:09 pm

neversay wrote:@DiamondEcho - a very interesting answer, thanks. I find it's one thing to travel and be in other cultures, but far harder adjusting to being back home (a sort of strange familiarity).

Haha, that is precisely right, 'you've nailed it', the weird and unexpected contradiction. I think you go abroad having to have an open mind, and so take it all in as it presents iself, sink or swim. - You return home likely imagining [hoping?] little or nothing has changed, but in fact '''everything''' has changed, and it's extremely disorientating, 'home' no longer exists [well certainly not after 10 years]. IME even 2-3 years away is challenging enough. I've previously wondered whether the place changes, or the person does. I reckon both do, but the longer the time away the more how the place does figures larger, and there is no way to guage this if absent.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”