Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Having a mouse in the house (MITH)

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Re: Having a mouse in the house (MITH)

Postby Howyoudoin » October 11th, 2018, 11:35 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Good luck with your 'kind trap and release policy'. If you have trapped one mouse, you have a broader problem. Perhaps that will dawn on you in due course.... :? :lol:

Some people really need to read all of the thread before commenting.

:lol:

HYD

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 11th, 2018, 11:49 pm

I had a mouse infestation in my greenhouse in early spring this year. I used humane traps, and released the mice some hundreds of metres away. After about six captures the problem disappeared. I also tidied up all sources of food - they had eaten into my peanut sack, so the peanuts were placed in stout plastic containers which the mice nibbled, but never breached. The weather also improved - so the mice may have found outside life more attractive. But I did lose all of my early seedlings, so this coming spring I'll place clear plastic covers over all of my seed trays, and I'll once again deploy the traps. Peanut butter seemed to be an effective bait.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 12th, 2018, 9:34 am

scotia wrote:I had a mouse infestation in my greenhouse in early spring this year. I used humane traps, and released the mice some hundreds of metres away. After about six captures the problem disappeared. I also tidied up all sources of food - they had eaten into my peanut sack, so the peanuts were placed in stout plastic containers which the mice nibbled, but never breached. The weather also improved - so the mice may have found outside life more attractive. But I did lose all of my early seedlings, so this coming spring I'll place clear plastic covers over all of my seed trays, and I'll once again deploy the traps. Peanut butter seemed to be an effective bait.

Greenhouses can be a problem. I've just bought a decent quality aluminium one and when the doors are closed there are big gaps at the bottom outside edges of both sliding doors and a gap all the way up each door above that. There's a bit of draught proofing covering the long gap up the side of the door but while it might cut down on draughts it wouldn't stop a mouse.

I've bought some aluminium strips from B & Q to close off these entry points but I haven't got round to doing it yet. The other problem area is the low louvre vents but I cant see a simple way of stopping entry there. To be honest I've not seen any evidence of mice in the greenhouse yet so I don't see it as a priority. I would probably construct a vent cover out of timber and 6mm Twilweld if necessary.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 12th, 2018, 11:09 am

scotia wrote: Peanut butter seemed to be an effective bait.

I think any nuts will attract them.

I found that out the hard way in Italy. Around this time of year I went up in the woods and shredded the hands collecting a stash of chestnuts, intending to consume them gradually over the months. Turned out keeping a stash in carrier bags at home was a Bad Idea.

But it also told me where to release mice I caught alive. Up in the woods where I'd collected the chestnuts in the first place should be a great natural habitat for them.

orchard101
Lemon Pip

Postby orchard101 » October 13th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Don't go to the expense of nuts. The mice here adore bread, yes, really.

About three years ago the council was digging up the prom and mice were everywhere. A friend of mine who lived opposite me caught 20+, and I caught 9 in a short period of time. I found a slice of bread which I was defrosting with all that was left was the crust. Found out they were coming up from behind the f/freezer. After shuddering I caught 2 or three by baiting with the bread, then closed off their rout.

Eventually no more, the, this year, a cheeky little devil promenaded along my living room floor. This time coming in via my radiator. Managed to catch 3 and, so far, crossed fingers, no more, but I am not putting my traps away yet.

No being very fond of mice, no matter how cute they are, I use plastic traps which are very good and very, very quick. Do not let your finders get in the way!. So far, so good.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 15th, 2018, 4:28 pm

scotia wrote:I had a mouse infestation in my greenhouse in early spring this year. I used humane traps, and released the mice some hundreds of metres away. After about six captures the problem disappeared. ...

Which might mean that they found outdoor life OK - but it's not all that likely if it's the common house mouse (there are large numbers of different species of mice), as they are basically adapted to living in somewhat loose association with humans. More likely, they've actually found a way into another house closer to where you released them, or been killed by something more adapted to living outside. If they're lucky, it will by something that makes about as quick a kill as a trap would; if they're unlucky, they get captured and 'played' with by a cat, or used as training material for its kittens... I can't say I regard either of those outcomes as a more moral solution than an efficient killing trap.

Gengulphus

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”