Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Mine (and your) Room101 exhibits

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Mine (and your) Room101 exhibits

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 19th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Not officially, no - but in informal usage (in the US especially), "England" is frequently used to mean the whole of Great Britain. So in some contexts, there's an ambiguity that needs to be looked out for.

Gengulphus

Nothing particularly US about that. I've lived in several European countries and found myself routinely correcting the same error. I guess it might be argued that "England" really does have that second and maybe third meanings we (Brits) all detest, of the whole island or even UK.

In the case of Ireland, the two meanings are pretty clear. Which is why we have disambiguation like "island of" and "republic of".

To put the boot on the other foot, watch a Canadian's reaction to being called American!

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 19th, 2018, 1:41 pm

vrdiver wrote:Hour-long documentaries that include 20 minutes of adverts, 10 minutes telling me what I'm going to see, 10 minutes recapping what I've seen and 10 minutes of the presenter's face telling me how amazing this is.

That reminds me, those documentaries where they talk about two or three separate things, that are related, and keep switching between them. Interleaving multiple "dramatic" threads. I thought a documentary about Venice would be interesting, it was on BBC4 after all, but no, it was clearly done by the people that do all those Big Bigger Biggest Channel 5 documentaries, same voice-over and everything. So we meet the lady fire chief, and her senior member of crew that's retiring, oh, and the hospital is here, here's the ambulance boat shooting off to a possible heart attack, now back to the fire crew where they're off to a sunken boat, happens all the time apparently, meanwhile here's the doctor looking for the house where the heart attack victim might be, but they can't find it, then back to the fire brigade....STOP STOP STOP IT! Jaysus, do you really think we can't cope with a whole half hour where we see how the fire brigade works in Venice, as we talk to people and follow them about a bit? It's a worry.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » October 19th, 2018, 2:00 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:To put the boot on the other foot, watch a Canadian's reaction to being called American!

Just add a 'North' to the 'American' and there should be no issue.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 19th, 2018, 2:09 pm

panamagold wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
To put the boot on the other foot, watch a Canadian's reaction to being called American!

Just add a 'North' to the 'American' and there should be no issue.

Or perhaps 'Higher American', given recent news....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » October 19th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Young people using 'sort of' in nearly every sentence.
:evil:

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 19th, 2018, 2:43 pm

UncleIan wrote:
That reminds me, those documentaries where they talk about two or three separate things, that are related, and keep switching between them. Interleaving multiple "dramatic" threads. I thought a documentary about Venice would be interesting, it was on BBC4 after all, but no, it was clearly done by the people that do all those Big Bigger Biggest Channel 5 documentaries, same voice-over and everything. So we meet the lady fire chief, and her senior member of crew that's retiring, oh, and the hospital is here, here's the ambulance boat shooting off to a possible heart attack, now back to the fire crew where they're off to a sunken boat, happens all the time apparently, meanwhile here's the doctor looking for the house where the heart attack victim might be, but they can't find it, then back to the fire brigade....STOP STOP STOP IT! Jaysus, do you really think we can't cope with a whole half hour where we see how the fire brigade works in Venice, as we talk to people and follow them about a bit? It's a worry.

What sex was the doctor, you forgot to say?

Mel

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 19th, 2018, 3:00 pm

melonfool wrote:What sex was the doctor, you forgot to say?

The documentary remarked on gender of the fire chief as she was the only female fire chief in...dunno, italy, can't remember. It's unremarkable what gender the doctor was, or any of the paramedics were, so it was not remarked upon. I mean, I could tell you, but it doesn't matter, that's not the point.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 19th, 2018, 4:28 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:To put the boot on the other foot, watch a Canadian's reaction to being called American!

I was with two Peruvians who strongly objected to referring to Americans, when the USA was meant.

Somos todos Americanos! was their comment.

TJH

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » October 19th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Viewing BBC1s "Keeping Faith" - a drama set in Wales… - the accompanying music throughout includes a steady low whistling sound which for those (Mrs BnC, for example) with tinnitus is a really turn-off. And for me who is able enjoy the atmosphere without a musical accompaniment.

I would've given up watching after a few minutes of the first episode but Mrs Bnc assures me that after a slow start KF gets a lot better. It has for us: the sound is now on mute, we just gaze at the pictures whilst reading the sub-titles.

Unfortunately, this content via this link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeping_Faith_(TV_series) - doesn't include the plot.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 19th, 2018, 5:00 pm

melonfool wrote:
Funny, I heard "the island of Ireland" today for the first time, I was like :shock: :? :roll: and telling the radio that Ireland is NOT an island. Idiots

In physical geography terms, it is.

Britain is mainland England, Scotland and Wales and the British Isles includes Ireland and all of the other islands on "our" bit of the continental shelf, so The Channel Islands aren't.

Slarti

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 19th, 2018, 5:03 pm

swill453 wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:An American you don't know especially well says "She lived in England" to you about someone he's telling you about. Maybe he knows the difference and is using "England" correctly, maybe he doesn't but she is actually from England, maybe he doesn't and she is actually from Scotland or Wales. As a result, it's not sensible to treat what he's said as wrong, because it probably isn't. But it is sensible to treat what he has said as ambiguous, i.e. it's not clear what he means. In most circumstances, it's best to just let the ambiguity pass - but in some (e.g. she's died and he's asking you about dealing with her estate) it needs to be clarified.

Naughty, naughty, that's moving the goalposts! Of course that's ambiguous, but my response was to your post which said "England" is frequently used to mean the whole of Great Britain.

That is unambiguously wrong.

Naughty, naughty, that's trying to present your words as saying something other than what they did. Specifically:

swill453 wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:Not officially, no - but in informal usage (in the US especially), "England" is frequently used to mean the whole of Great Britain. So in some contexts, there's an ambiguity that needs to be looked out for.

Being from the non-English part of Great Britain, I would call that wrong and not ambiguous, and will always correct it where I can.

Such uses of "that" generally refer to the last thing they reasonably can - in this case, it's "in some contexts, there's an ambiguity that needs to be looked out for", not the earlier ""England" is frequently used to mean the whole of Great Britain". I can easily accept given what you've now said that you meant that the earlier phrase was wrong, but it's not what you said.

But actually, I think that ""England" is frequently used to mean the whole of Great Britain" is almost certainly not wrong, but a correct statement of fact when viewed on a worldwide basis, and may well be even on a UK basis. "Great Britain" is not a particularly well-known term, especially outside the UK (*), and the alternative "England, Scotland and Wales" is a bit of a mouthful.

(*) Most of my primary education was in the US, and at its end I certainly knew many country names, including "England" - but not "Great Britain" beyond possibly having sometimes heard my parents use it.

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 19th, 2018, 5:30 pm

tjh290633 wrote:

I was with two Peruvians who strongly objected to referring to Americans, when the USA was meant.

Another example is the Netherlands. It's not infrequently called "Holland", but in fact "Holland" is the collective name of North Holland and South Holland, which are just two of its twelve provinces. I think most of the Dutch are basically resigned to that misunderstanding, quite possibly immunised against such things by the term "Dutch", which is basically an anglicised version of "deutsch" - i.e. "German"! But I've certainly seen some react to inappropriate uses of "Holland"...

Gengulphus

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » October 19th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:

Another example is the Netherlands. It's not infrequently called "Holland", but in fact "Holland" is the collective name of North Holland and South Holland, which are just two of its twelve provinces. I think most of the Dutch are basically resigned to that misunderstanding, quite possibly immunised against such things by the term "Dutch", which is basically an anglicised version of "deutsch" - i.e. "German"! But I've certainly seen some react to inappropriate uses of "Holland"...

Gengulphus

I did not know that! The Netherlands it is from now on.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 19th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Did you know there is an area of Lincolnshire called South Holland?

Confusing......

Mel

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 19th, 2018, 8:59 pm

melonfool wrote:Did you know there is an area of Lincolnshire called South Holland? Confusing...... Mel

The region S-W of The Wash. Flat as a pancake [like 'Holland'], and used to be the major port area for England<>Holland trade. So it's doesn't surprise me much, when you consider the large number of very old property across that part of the country and coast with clear 17th C/+ Dutch architectural influences, 'Dutch gables', and similar...

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » October 19th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Holland Lincolnshire was largely underwater or swamp, until it was drained by Dutch engineers in the 17th century. Not sure if the thats when it got its name. Is Holland the Dutch for swamp or reclaimed land by any chance?? Might explain the connection.

Gryff

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » October 20th, 2018, 12:05 am

After reading
Ireland
so many times in this thread, it suddenly occurred to me (for the first time ever) that it could be read as 'Land of Ire'. Has often seemed quite an appropriate name!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 20th, 2018, 9:20 am

gryffron wrote:Holland Lincolnshire was largely underwater or swamp, until it was drained by Dutch engineers in the 17th century. Not sure if the thats when it got its name. Is Holland the Dutch for swamp or reclaimed land by any chance??

Well, "hol" is the Dutch word for hollow. Just as "hohl" is in German. So when you've built your dykes you've got a hollow land.

I know quite a lot of Dutch people, and most of them refer to their home country as Holland. At least, they do when they're talking to English people. (When talking to the French they call it les pays bas ("the low countries"), which also seems to evoke the image of the polders.)

Sensibly, we don't call ourselves United Kingdomish. Short words are more snappy and less trouble, even if they're inaccurate. ;)

BJ

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 20th, 2018, 10:27 am

Wasn't Lincolnshire divided into three parts before local government reform?

Kesteven and Parts of Holland ring a bell. I've forgotten what the third was. Centered on Lincoln, obviously.

TJH

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 20th, 2018, 10:45 am

tjh290633 wrote:Wasn't Lincolnshire divided into three parts before local government reform?

Kesteven and Parts of Holland ring a bell. I've forgotten what the third was. Centered on Lincoln, obviously.

TJH

Lindsey

John

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”