Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Mine (and your) Room101 exhibits

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Mine (and your) Room101 exhibits

Postby redsturgeon » November 3rd, 2018, 9:44 am

sunnyjoe wrote:Blokes in the gym changing rooms, drying their testicles with the hairdryers

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!

John

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 3rd, 2018, 12:14 pm

Have I ever mentioned push-button toilets?* The ones that use drop-valves rather than simpler, reliable siphons?

Even many (most?) of the new toilets with handles have those abominable drop-valves.

Siphons have served us well since the 1880s. They are simple, reliable, hardly ever go wrong and, if they do go wrong, are usually simple to fix**. Unlike drop-valves (and flap-valves), they cannot leak unless they (extremely rarely) crack.

One advantage of the drop-valve is that it is usually very quick to replace*** as it has a simple bayonet fitting. This is just as well as the rubber seal can gunge up and dribble hundreds of pounds worth of water down the pan, the plastic can deteriorate so the mechanism stops working smoothly and can get stuck in the open position and dump thousands of pounds worth of water down the pan, and little bits of plastic can break so that it doesn't work at all.

Julian F. G. W.

*The old Fordham Flushpanel cisterns are ok as they use a siphon.
**Easiest if the siphon is a two-part or three-part one such as a Metro or Dudley Turbo.
***If the lower part is split (I have known this to happen), the cistern will have to be removed from the pan (if it is close-coupled, which almost all are) to replace the entire assembly.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 3rd, 2018, 5:59 pm

People at the checkout using a card to pay who stick it into the machine, rather than use contactless.

And then they can't remember their PIN.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 3rd, 2018, 6:48 pm

"Safety" [sic] socket covers.

Julian F. G. W.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 3rd, 2018, 7:47 pm

Intermittent faults...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 3rd, 2018, 8:07 pm

People who use the toilet and then wash their hands, but walk out without bothering to actually dry them, leaving the door handles wet for those following out behind them....

Whilst their hands might be clean, I'm drying *my* hands because I want my hands to be dry, and they *won't* be dry when I've had to use the same door-handles they've now made nice and wet on their own way out....

I'm no cleanliness freak at all, but this situation infuriates me as I think it's just so damned inconsiderate....

Itsallaguess

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 3rd, 2018, 11:10 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:People who use the toilet and then wash their hands, but walk out without bothering to actually dry them, leaving the door handles wet for those following out behind them....

Whilst their hands might be clean, I'm drying *my* hands because I want my hands to be dry, and they *won't* be dry when I've had to use the same door-handles they've now made nice and wet on their own way out....

I'm no cleanliness freak at all, but this situation infuriates me as I think it's just so damned inconsiderate....

Itsallaguess

I have quite literally never seen anyone do that!

Must be a guy thing.

Mel

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 3rd, 2018, 11:46 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:People who use the toilet and then wash their hands, but walk out without bothering to actually dry them, leaving the door handles wet for those following out behind them....

Itsallaguess

If their hands are wet, are you sure it's because they washed them ;)

And, as an aside, when I lived in France it was surprisingly common to see guys walk into the loo, wash their hands, go for a pee and then walk out!

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 4th, 2018, 4:45 am

melonfool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
People who use the toilet and then wash their hands, but walk out without bothering to actually dry them, leaving the door handles wet for those following out behind them....

I have quite literally never seen anyone do that!

Must be a guy thing.

To be honest Mel, that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 4th, 2018, 4:55 am

kiloran wrote:

If their hands are wet, are you sure it's because they washed them ;)

I know what you mean, but yes, I've raised the point on this thread because I've witnessed it happening a few times lately, and at all times the people involved have washed their hands and just walked out of the room - even though hand-dryers have been available to them. Following them out and then getting my hands wet, having already washed and dried my own hands, is something I'd want to avoid if at all possible, and their lack of consideration of this fact is more than a little annoying...

kiloran wrote:
And, as an aside, when I lived in France it was surprisingly common to see guys walk into the loo, wash their hands, go for a pee and then walk out!

I've read about that situation a few times over the years - and do see the humour in that approach a little!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » November 4th, 2018, 6:55 am

What is wrong with the back of your trousers!! :oops:

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » November 4th, 2018, 1:29 pm

People who slouch over their trolleys whilst supermarket shopping.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 4th, 2018, 2:17 pm

OLTB wrote:
People who slouch over their trolleys whilst supermarket shopping.

Perhaps they've just been punched by their wives and are taking a moment or two to recover....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 4th, 2018, 2:35 pm

Husband-wife teams who shop together, occupying much more space than two individual shoppers and taking lots of time to argue about it.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 4th, 2018, 4:13 pm

To be honest, we get so many nasty things on our hands, it's not a bad idea to wash your hands both before and after.

Steve

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 4th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Have you ever used the hand dryers on trains ?
They are totally useless. The wonderful HSTs have proper roller towels, but they (the HSTs not the towels) are being phased out and replaced with the frankly not very good Hitachi 800s

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 4th, 2018, 5:12 pm

kiloran wrote:And, as an aside, when I lived in France it was surprisingly common to see guys walk into the loo, wash their hands, go for a pee and then walk out!

--kiloran

That's said to be the difference between ordinary people and engineers.

Engineers wash their hands before.

TJH

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » November 5th, 2018, 6:13 am

BBC news 'reporting' what xyz politician is GOING to say. Not news but propaganda 8-)

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 5th, 2018, 11:56 am

todthedog wrote:BBC news 'reporting' what xyz politician is GOING to say. Not news but propaganda 8-)

All the news programmes do that these days. Even seen it in the papers the day before.

Slarti

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » November 6th, 2018, 8:31 am

I have stumbled onto this thread, and I finally have a chance to vent.

1) Roundabouts.

I hate them, or rather I hate the trend of every larger cars, driver by drivers who drift about over the lane markings in an unpredictable way.

I know that sooner of later, I'm going to have to do some avoidance manoeuvre as one car is bigger than should be allowed and get clipped by someone else who is not doing anything weird.

2) Jogging bottom on males or females.

I will admit to having owned a pair, but I never wore them out of the house. If I had to nip out for a pint of milk, I would get changed.

2a) Jogging bottoms with the owner having one or both hands down them. Look mate, buy some gloves if your hands are cold. It is unlikely you'll lose your penis or testicles in Sainsbury, so why do you need to keep checking them.

3) People with obviously missing teeth.

Is there an excuse for this in these modern times? I was complaining to a young lad (40's) at work about the £1k I had to spend on a new crown and he was keen to point out that an extraction only cost him £80. I'm fine with that if you've got no money, but he drives a more expensive car than me. If it comes down to car or teeth, I'll choose teeth.

4) Blokes with shaved heads. For some reason, I find girls with very short haircuts attractive. For more obvious reasons, I don't find the male population with no hair attractive, apart from Vin Diesel or the Rock.

5) People with football team tattoos. -1 point if it is on your arm, -10,000 points if you have it on your head and then shave your head to show it. At what point can you like something so much you want to have a permanent reminder of it on your head?

I know we've got lots of scientists on these forums, I would lay money down to say 'No one has a tattoo of Steven Hawking' on the back of their head - I could understand Alan Turing - That's a bit statement but Spurs!

6) Brioche buns.

I know this is down to economics, the question is for the retailer - How can I make the meal massive while spending only pennies. The answer is rice, bread, chips or a drink. If you've had a Chinese take away recently, they also do lots of heavy sauce with a thin grey texture.

Apart from Italian food which smears some yummy sauce over a lot of pasta, where have we gone this time?

Take a burger, and stuff it into a loaf sized lump of horrid bread and then charge a premium price. The brioche bun is the emperor's new clothes bun. It tastes horrible as it is full of sugar and MSG and it is so massive and vile you don't actually eat it.

Bring back the trancher I say.

7) Apple

There's an old story about Steve Jobs, he once said that when calculated out, each second he could shave off the boot time of the Macintosh would add up to a lot more productivity if he sold 20 million of them.

At which point did Apple decide that each new update would make the software worse?

I know they don't make Ipods anymore. We seem to have accumulated a small collection and more turn up when I have a clear out. The astonishing thing is that they all work apart from the software at the PC end which is getting ever more flakey on every update.

I have a phone which is as slow as a phone can be slow. It has wins as it is waterproof and I can run it for a week between charges. I also have the last of the Ipods and on the latest software update, it is no longer recognised.

Er, take two items to work. Yup!

One for calls, one for entertainment. If I run out of battery on the Ipod, I'm bored. If the phone runs out, I'm stuffed.

At what point did two seperate items become one along with destroyed software.

8) Diesel cars.

The smoke -When I'm behind one of these things in a hurry, I can jab the air recirculate button and enjoy the luxury of clean air for a while. Once matey has zoomed off, I'll turn it off but I have to ask how these things are still allowed.

B.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”