Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Gentlemen of the Turf

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Gentlemen of the Turf

Postby terminal7 » November 3rd, 2018, 7:14 pm

One or two fools maybe aware of my partiality to have a small tilt at the ring. Well over the years all the major bookies - bar one - have either closed my accounts or severely restricted my stakes to nominal amounts. Fortunately the arrival of the exchanges has made their actions largely irrelevant to my primary mode of punting as I inevitably try to arbitrage most of bets.

Imagine my surprise last week to get an email from one of the bookies (I think they restricted my account maybe 2/3 years ago) congratulating me on my birthday and as a special present they would add 50% to any deposit up to a maximum of £50. Hmm - that's mighty kind and deposited £50 and they kindly added another £25 birthday treat. As it happened I was quite keen on a nag at Cheltenham last Saturday by the name of the Mighty Don. Said bookie chap was offering 20/1 - similar to other bookies - and I wagered £30 EW. Well the horse was punted and started at 14/1 and got up on the line winning by the width of a cat's whisker.

3 days later I attempted to place a £25EW bet on another nag and it bounces back. So I try to place further bets all down to 50pEW - all bounce back. I then get an email effectively restricting me only to SP bets of a nominal amount. I then email saying ok - I wish to close the account. I then get a response (verbatim) -
We are sorry to hear that you wish to close your account with us however, we will be happy to help with your request. For feedback purposes, may we kindly ask you a reason as to why you have chosen to close your account.
We thank you for your honesty and feedback with this matter and we wish you the best of much for your future

Ah well - back to the exchanges and that one other bookie.

T7

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”