Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Bobby Moore

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Bobby Moore

Postby nimnarb » November 11th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Just seen this. Beautifully done and even if you are not a footy fan, highly recommended. Won't give any spoilers away as this is a must see(HYD, you need to see this being a WH supporter)but in those days we had real home grown footballers that were "Men" without the ludicrous salaries that are paid today and this was one person who they(the establishment) only realized, when it was too late just how great a person and a player he really was............

Sad, poignant, plus great memories of that period. Watch the credits right to the end.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brjn47/bobby

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bobby Moore

Postby stevensfo » November 11th, 2018, 5:26 pm

I remember him so well. But...

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.

Yes, of course BBC. The world stops at Dover, innit?

Steve

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 11th, 2018, 5:46 pm

sorry about that...but sure you can find it.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 11th, 2018, 6:11 pm

Yes of course, no problem.

Crikey, I remember him on the cards we used to swap at Primary school.

Happy days! :-)

Steve

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » November 12th, 2018, 6:19 am

Abroad the bbc iplayer can be accessed via a vpn. Streamvia is worth a look about a £5 a month. Freesat also works if you live in the area in europe covered covered. :D

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » November 12th, 2018, 8:20 pm

nimnarb wrote:Just seen this. Beautifully done and even if you are not a footy fan, highly recommended. Won't give any spoilers away as this is a must see(HYD, you need to see this being a WH supporter)but in those days we had real home grown footballers that were "Men" without the ludicrous salaries that are paid today and this was one person who they(the establishment) only realized, when it was too late just how great a person and a player he really was............

Sad, poignant, plus great memories of that period. Watch the credits right to the end.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brjn47/bobby

Not afraid to admit that brought tears to my eyes, thanks Branmin.

I'm not sure why it is that we always say "back in my day" through rose tnted glasses when it's a well known fact that the best time ever to be alive is the present (based on life expentency/quality of life) but I sure would've loved to see England win the World Cup.

HYD

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 12th, 2018, 10:09 pm

I'm not sure why it is that we always say "back in my day" through rose tnted glasses when it's a well known fact that the best time ever to be alive is the present (based on life expentency/quality of life) but I sure would've loved to see England win the World Cup.

HYD[/quote]

Was there as a young teenager with two of my mates in the Stadium and will never forget the noise and pride I felt at the time, made even more remarkable as had no tickets and although can't really remember the details but spent over the odds from a ticket tout but do recall that they were decent seats, yet don't think we would have cared where we sat. Didn't get home until midnight, drunk from the excitement of it all and possibly sneaking into a few bars(under age) and sampling the booze as everyone and their dog was buying. Remember my father asking me if I had been drinking, so must have done!

Not sure though that I agree with you re "now" being the best time to be alive. The late 60's, Carnaby St, fashion, booze, women, clubs, The Beatles, The Stones and the British music scene in general(not necessarily in that order) and us winning the cup, phew, but sorry, those were the days my friend :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS90B4sZf7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYii6nx ... EE8A76CD27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8XQZYIiNgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l61MFiIeuVM

And finally for all football fans and not just Liverpool, but particularly for Leicester City................this still haunts me(and every time I hear this song get very emotional) as I saw Gerry play somewhere off Soho and again on Top of the Pops which later around 72 or 73 I was on the stage as part of the crowd with David Croft's daughter..wild days indeed. We had matching sheer see through shirts made up for the occasion.....cor................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV5_LQArLa0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08083BNaYcA

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » November 12th, 2018, 10:39 pm

nimnarb wrote:I'm not sure why it is that we always say "back in my day" through rose tnted glasses when it's a well known fact that the best time ever to be alive is the present (based on life expentency/quality of life) but I sure would've loved to see England win the World Cup.

HYD

Was there as a young teenager with two of my mates in the Stadium and will never forget the noise and pride I felt at the time, made even more remarkable as had no tickets and although can't really remember the details but spent over the odds from a ticket tout but do recall that they were decent seats, yet don't think we would have cared where we sat. Didn't get home until midnight, drunk from the excitement of it all and possibly sneaking into a few bars(under age) and sampling the booze as everyone and their dog was buying. Remember my father asking me if I had been drinking, so must have done!

[/quote]

Are you being serious Branmin? You were at Wembley Stadium and watching the World Cup final in 1966 when England won?

If so, well jel doesn't even come close.

"Not sure though that I agree with you re "now" being the best time to be alive. The late 60's, Carnaby St, fashion, booze, women, clubs, The Beatles, The Stones and the British music scene in general(not necessarily in that order) and us winning the cup, phew, but sorry, those were the days my friend "

Ah, showing your age now. Every single generation since the dawn of music has said that their age is the best.

You might THINK that 60s music is the best. But there aren't many people outside of your age range would agree.

Personally I was born in the 60's and think the best music came in the 80's.

Do you think that there are many people born post 1990 that would say the best music came from the 60's?

HYD

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 12th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Ah, showing your age now. Every single generation since the dawn of music has said that their age is the best.

You might THINK that 60s music is the best. But there aren't many people outside of your age range would agree.

Age thing I agree. But HYD I never said that 60's music is the best, just that overall time period(for me) when comparing all the other decades(Christ at this rate, be dead soon)

80's seem a blur to me and not many songs stand out but this is one of my all time favs from the 80's(I think) 50's 60's 70's and that's it..yes an age thing, however I used to collect old 78's from the 20's through to the 50's and now listen to Nicky Horne on Radio Sussex at your time 9pm on Sundays.

Yes, bedtime coming up soon..8pm :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwge9wc-eI

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 13th, 2018, 8:40 am

Thanks for the advice, Gadge, and I will make a note, though to be honest I probably wouldn't need it very often.

Far more useful would be for me to repair and update our old satellite system to receive Freesat. It's been on my list of things to do for about 10 years. :-)

Steve

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 13th, 2018, 8:57 am

stevensfo wrote:I remember him so well. But...

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.

Yes, of course BBC. The world stops at Dover, innit?

Steve

frustration understood, but presumably that policy falls in line with the requirement for a TV license to watch iplayer. Would anybody outside of the UK be able to buy a TV license? And in reality wrt receiving UK broadcast TV signals would there be any point? (French coast?)

The wider question is...

If you lived at eg Folkestone, and could receive French TV signals - would you need a TV license to ONLY watch them? I'm guessing yes as
* the tv set (or whatever) is thus capable of receiving broadcast signal, and
2) when I asked TVL years ago if watching a internet broadcast from a foreign (ie non UK) broadcaster of a cricket match (eg in india) needed a TV license I was told yes I did if it was being broadcast live anywhere in the world while I was watching it.

I'll shut up now!

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 13th, 2018, 8:59 am

todthedog wrote:Abroad the bbc iplayer can be accessed via a vpn. Streamvia is worth a look about a £5 a month. Freesat also works if you live in the area in europe covered covered. :D

presumably you'd have to lie when asked the question about having a TV license. (see my other post).

Then again if you got "caught" does TVL have any jurisdiction to fine/prosecute you?

enquiring minds etc...

didds

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 13th, 2018, 11:05 am

If you lived at eg Folkestone, and could receive French TV signals - would you need a TV license to ONLY watch them? I'm guessing yes as

Of course you need a licence if you are living in the UK and using a television, no matter which channels you watch.

Freesat also works if you live in the area in europe covered covered. :D

presumably you'd have to lie when asked the question about having a TV license. (see my other post).

Lie to whom? You just set up the dish and attach a receiver. The channels are free-to-air, so no subscription or decryption required.

Steve

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 13th, 2018, 4:50 pm

stevensfo wrote:

Of course you need a licence if you are living in the UK and using a television, no matter which channels you watch.

Well that's not true. If you're not watching TV as it is broadcast then you don't need a licence. The "capable of receiving broadcast signal" is entirely irrelevant. If you only watch Netflix and DVDs, you don't need a licence.

Thus I suspect the person only viewing French television could get away without a licence.

Scott.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 13th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Well that's not true. If you're not watching TV as it is broadcast then you don't need a licence. The "capable of receiving broadcast signal" is entirely irrelevant. If you only watch Netflix and DVDs, you don't need a licence.

Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason, I assumed that the BBC had overcome that loophole years ago.

Thus I suspect the person only viewing French television could get away without a licence.

But not in the UK. You'd still be watching TV as it is broadcast, wouldn't you? The fact that it isn't BBC is irrelevant.

Steve

PS Here in Italy, about two years ago, the government started making electricity companies add the TV licence to the January bill. No problem except the difference is that the person has to state in writing that they do not watch television.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”