Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

How to find a new dentist (tips/gotchas)?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

How to find a new dentist (tips/gotchas)?

Postby yorkshirelad1 » November 13th, 2018, 12:21 pm

OK, so I'm taking the plunge, and moving dentist. Always used same (Suffolk) dental practice (and only had two dentists at that practice in 50+ years so I figure I'm lucky), but it's where I grew up, and I've always managed to combine visits to dentist with visits to family etc, but I think it's time to move to somewhere closer to what I currently call home (for the last 19 years). In case it's of use, I'm near Skipton North Yorkshire.

Does anyone have any pointers / tips /gotchas / reasons to pick a dentist / signs to avoid a dentist etc. At the moment, it's asking around friends and colleagues. I'm tempted to aim for a practice where there's more than one dentist so there's cover rather than someone who's single-handed. There aren't many NHS dentists around here (and the ones that there are aren't taking on new NHS patients at the moment); I've been on Denplan for a number of years, and don't have to stay with that, but don't mind either NHS or private.

Any thoughts / pointers?
TIA
Allan

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: How to find a new dentist (tips/gotchas)?

Postby scotia » November 13th, 2018, 12:32 pm

My only advice is - get a young dentist. They are much better trained and aware of modern advances than some of the old ones are. OK - the really old ones, some of whom were pretty dreadful, have probably snuffed it - but don't take chances - go for a young one!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 13th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Ask your local friends, work colleagues etc for recommendations.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 13th, 2018, 12:53 pm

I used to have a dentist named Mr Payne. I figured he had to be good, or he'd go out of business. He was good. :D

BJ

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » November 14th, 2018, 9:06 pm

scotia wrote:My only advice is - get a young dentist. They are much better trained and aware of modern advances than some of the old ones are. OK - the really old ones, some of whom were pretty dreadful, have probably snuffed it - but don't take chances - go for a young one!

The youngest dentists are still in training in dental schools. For a few years I went to the Guys and St Thomas's School which does not charge the guinea pigs who go there. The students are supervised.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”