Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Ofgem

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Ofgem

Postby brightncheerful » November 15th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Electricity supplier/company (npower) has written to me say that they wrote to me a few weeks ago. About switching to a cheaper energy deal.

From what I've gathered and converted into Bnc-think, Ofgem is concerned that I am presumably old enough to decide for myself what energy arrangement to enter into but that the decision I've made is not what Ofgem would do if it were me.

Assuming that's the nub, I think it's nice of Ofgem to be concerned. Although frankly I think it would be a better use of the regulator's time if it were to arrange for npower to reduce its prices so that I wouldn't have to switch.

Anyhow, Ofgem have appointed npower to negotiate a cheaper deal. npower has secured an exclusive deal with EDT Energy which according to the figures on page 1 of the npower's letter to me offers a potential saving of just over £2 a week if I decide to switch. On page 2 is the answer to what's the catch? It is not an unconditional offer. If i decide to switch then I might save just over £2 a week (all other factors remaining constant) but only for about a year. After that, it's for me decide whether to continue with EDF Energy or find myself back with npower, or go elsewhere.

According to npower, the deal i'm on with them is expensive. Implication presumably is that I should be concerned. According to the letter, EDF Energy have a maximum 5 star service rating with energyhelpline. As the theme of the letter is about decisions, I decided to check for myself. Search EFD Energy complaints performance and sure enough not as wonderful as the letter makes out. Or depending upon what EDF has to do to get a 5 star rating perhaps it is.

EDF Energy. Where have I heard that name before? Ah yes, when I was considering buying shares in Costain. I decided to do some research: hey presto - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_Point_C_nuclear_power_station.

According to npower, the deal isn't available by going direct to EDF Energy. Which means I assume npower are getting a cut.

I recall glancing at the letter npower wrote to me a few weeks ago before I shredded it. Looking at their latest rendition, which I tore in half before posting this, thank you Oftem but I am content to stick with npower. Perhaps if enough of their 90,000 customers decide to switch, npower won't be as busy and those of us remaining on the expensive deal will get a better service.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”