Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Is this a racist joke?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Is this a racist joke?

Postby PinkDalek » November 28th, 2018, 3:36 pm

redsturgeon wrote: ... please no more jokes on this thread. We have a jokes board.

Laughing Lemons or Polite Discussions? :twisted:

Beerpig's Snug - A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter ...

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 28th, 2018, 4:45 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
redsturgeon wrote: ... please no more jokes on this thread. We have a jokes board.

Beerpig's Snug - A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter ...

I seem to have spotted some light hearted banter from you here PD.

Borderline at the moment but it's on the official watch list*

John

* I just made that up, there is no official watchlist.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 28th, 2018, 4:48 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

I seem to have spotted some light hearted banter from you here PD.

Borderline at the moment but it's on the official watch list*

John

* I just made that up, there is no official watchlist.

Just the unofficial watchlist, then . . .

Watis

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 28th, 2018, 4:52 pm

panamagold wrote:A guy was having a tattoo of an Indian warrior inscribed on his back.
Half way through, he said, "Excuse me pal, would you put a tomahawk in his hand for me."
The tattooist replied, "Sure, as soon as I've finished his turban."

Well, is it?

Moderator Message:
RS: I will let this one stand but please no more jokes on this thread. We have a jokes board.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have given this post a "thumbs up" for the joke and not the mod box.

TJH

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » November 29th, 2018, 9:25 am

I just don't really understand why people actually need to ask an internet forum whether a joke is racist or not...... :roll:

Whatever floats yer boat, I guess.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 29th, 2018, 10:00 am

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:I just don't really understand why people actually need to ask an internet forum whether a joke is racist or not...... :roll:

So this virtual pub is performing one of the traditional pub roles: providing somewhere for people to talk about things they don't need to talk about but would like to... Excellent! :-J

Gengulphus

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 29th, 2018, 2:19 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:I just don't really understand why people actually need to ask an internet forum whether a joke is racist or not...... :roll:

I don't understand why people feel the need to comment about someone asking, on an internet forum, whether a joke is racist or not... :twisted:

Boat floated.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » November 29th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Whatever floats yer boat, I guess.

How about you hop right back 'on yer bike' and find yourself a tavern more in tune with your boat, be it floating or sinking. :lol:

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 5th, 2018, 8:13 pm

stevensfo wrote:Not forgetting that the European to West Indies Slave trade simply used the same practices established by the Muslim Slave trade that operated all over the Med and around Africa long before. There was a great exhibition on Gozo and Malta that was so graphic that they had to remove some paintings. Arab slave traders went along the French, Italian and Spanish coasts, taking slaves, mainly children.

And British and Irish coasts too...

Re: muslim slave trade; re: Barbary pirates:
'The Barbary slave trade refers to the slave markets that were lucrative and vast on the Barbary Coast of North Africa, which included the Ottoman provinces of Algeria, Tunisia and Tripolitania and the independent sultanate of Morocco, between the 16th and middle of the 18th century. ...
Perpetrated largely on Europeans, and within in-land routes to indigenous European inhabitants. These peoples were systematically preyed upon and turned into slaves, acquired by Barbary pirates during slave raids on ships and by raids on coastal towns from Italy to the Netherlands, as far north as Iceland and in the eastern shores of the Mediterranean....
Since no official records were ever kept but the authorities of Ottoman or pre Ottoman sources, observations across the late 1500s and early 1600s observers, estimate that around 35,000 European slaves were held throughout this period on the Barbary Coast, across Tripoli, Tunis, but mostly in Algiers. The majority were sailors (particularly those who were English), taken with their ships, but others were fishermen and coastal villagers. However, most of these captives were people from lands close to Africa, particularly Italy...
From at least 1500, the pirates also conducted raids along seaside towns of Italy, Spain, France, England, the Netherlands and as far away as Iceland, capturing men, women and children. On some occasions, settlements such as Baltimore, Ireland were abandoned following the raid, only being resettled many years later. Between 1609 and 1616, England alone had 466 merchant ships lost to Barbary pirates...
Famous accounts of Barbary slave raids include a mention in the diary of Samuel Pepys and a raid on the coastal village of Baltimore, Ireland, during which pirates left with the entire populace of the settlement. The attack was led by a Dutch captain, Jan Janszoon van Haarlem, also known as Murad Reis the Younger. Janszoon also led the 1627 raid on Iceland. Such raids in the Mediterranean were so frequent and devastating that the coastline between Venice to Malaga[16] suffered widespread depopulation, and settlement there was discouraged. In fact, it was said that this was largely because "there was no one left to capture any longer."
-----------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade

And swathes of the Middle-East and Asia employ indentured labour, on pitiful salaries and onerous employment contracts. I know many people who do, it's the absolute norm for the middle-classes, and up. I also know several people and relatives who employ such live-in staff, that we in the UK would consider (the employers as) working class on working class salaries.

Another illustration:
I don't know what's more grotesque, SE Asian countries importing indentured labour to build their shiny sky-scrapers, and then bussing them back to closed camps at night, or Coke riding off the back of such men in a self-serving show of 'caring':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k92o4RyVDBc
'Drones deliver Coke to construction workers in Singapore'

Though I have to say that when I first saw that ad in the ads-run before a film at the cinema my jaw dropped. That the government censors allowed it at all.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 6th, 2018, 7:12 am

Moderator Message:
This has now strayed far from the original post and I am locking the thread.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”