Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Xmas Day Meal

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

When do you start your main Xmas day meal?

Before Noon
2%
Between Noon and 3pm
62%
3pm to 6pm
25%
After 6pm
8%
Other
5%

Total votes: 65

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Xmas Day Meal

Postby Gengulphus » December 8th, 2018, 1:08 pm

simsqu wrote:Man Alive

Can I come round to you for Christmas please?

No, definitely NOT if that's what you want to eat! :shock:

Gengulphus

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 8th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Solar mass ejection, antibiotic resistant bacteria, flu, Cliff Richard's Christmas single...doomed we are. Merry Christmas!!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 8th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Leothebear wrote:Well, when you consider the pollution of the oceans and atmosphere, global warming, terrorists getting hold of nuclear toys, Putin's grand plans for an empowered USSR, China's own agenda (working so far) on global domination, Trump - the less said the better. Then the inevitable catastrophe caused by a mega volcano, asteroid strike - I'm sure there others, the yes we ARE all doomed. Merry Christmas.

Look on the bright side. Celebrity Masterchef and the unfathomably tacky Strictly should both have finished their interminable seasonal runs by then. And Elton John's retrospective fantasies about how much he loved his old mum (not) will have been safely consigned to history.

So it should be safe to turn the telly on again. Well, unless they turn on the Scandi Noir thrillers. Is it any wonder the Swedes and Norwegians have such high suicide rates?

BJ

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 8th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Hi Simsqu, your pork shoulder recipe sounds delicious, would you care to give quantities and cooking times as I've searched online but can't find Michel Roux's recipe. Like many others I don't find turkey at all exciting and as OH and I like to spend Christmas on our own and have a family getogether later in the week we're always on the lookout for something different.

R6

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 8th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:
Hi Simsqu, your pork shoulder recipe sounds delicious, would you care to give quantities and cooking times as I've searched online but can't find Michel Roux's recipe.

I think it might be this one -

The instructions are here - https://www.mrporter.com/journal/mr-porter-eats/red-wines-for-a-winters-night/111

I think it sounds delicious too, and will be trying it with some pork shoulder as well (although not for Christmas Dinner...).

Thanks for the tip Simsqu.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 8th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Thanks Itsallaguess, I shall definitely be trying this out it sounds delicious.

R6

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » December 8th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:
Hi Simsqu, your pork shoulder recipe sounds delicious, would you care to give quantities and cooking times as I've searched online but can't find Michel Roux's recipe.

I think it might be this one -

Hi Rhyd6
Hi Itsallaguess, and yes well done that is the one. M'bliged to you, although the cooking time seems a bit short. It usually takes about 4 hours all in, but my pork shoulder is MASSIVE. Also, I take the crackling off 30 minutes before it's ready and roast it by itself in another baking tray for extra teethbreaking crispy crunchiness, but the method and ingredients are spot on, except I usually put a LOT more brandy in

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » December 8th, 2018, 5:28 pm

nimnarb wrote:For you simsqu, I will serve stuffed courgettes with goats cheese and garden herbs, if memory serves that is your absolute fav(not!!!!..or was it something else?) :D

(Shudder)

Er...no you've got it quite correct. Whenever someone on Masterchef mentions or cooks with the Devil's Vegetable I let out a loud disgusted expletive, although I am trying to rein myself in as the Missus is getting fed up with me and has taking to giving me a good slapping

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 9th, 2018, 7:18 am

nimnarb wrote:
Filet de boeuf wellington..beef tenderloin wellington with porcini mushrooms and herb stuffing, scented with truffle oil, wrapped in a puff pastry served with a cabernet reduction.

Or, if you're a bit stuck for time -

Cheers!

Itsallaguess

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 9th, 2018, 9:16 am

bungeejumper wrote:
Leothebear wrote:Well, when you consider the pollution of the oceans and atmosphere, global warming, terrorists getting hold of nuclear toys, Putin's grand plans for an empowered USSR, China's own agenda (working so far) on global domination, Trump - the less said the better. Then the inevitable catastrophe caused by a mega volcano, asteroid strike - I'm sure there others, the yes we ARE all doomed. Merry Christmas.

Look on the bright side. Celebrity Masterchef and the unfathomably tacky Strictly should both have finished their interminable seasonal runs by then. And Elton John's retrospective fantasies about how much he loved his old mum (not) will have been safely consigned to history.

So it should be safe to turn the telly on again. Well, unless they turn on the Scandi Noir thrillers. Is it any wonder the Swedes and Norwegians have such high suicide rates?

BJ

As far as I'm concerned, all the above is a drop in the ocean compared to the worst affliction ever experienced by humanity: supermarket Christmas Muzak!

Steve

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”