Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

A future for an IFA

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

A future for an IFA

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 10th, 2018, 2:28 pm

My window cleaner was round today for his December job. I was in, so went out to pay cash, and got chatting.

Turns out he was an IFA before taking over the window-cleaning biz from his entrepreneurial nephew who started it up. I thought that an interesting transition to make, but he has no regrets about being out in the open air doing an honest job for a relatively-honest fee. Hmm, makes a lot of sense to me.

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Re: A future for an IFA

Postby paulnumbers » December 10th, 2018, 3:03 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:My window cleaner was round today for his December job. I was in, so went out to pay cash, and got chatting.

Turns out he was an IFA before taking over the window-cleaning biz from his entrepreneurial nephew who started it up. I thought that an interesting transition to make, but he has no regrets about being out in the open air doing an honest job for a relatively-honest fee. Hmm, makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm an office worker and that does sound a lot better in many respects. But perhaps it would become boring quite quickly. I'm just about to exchange on my first house, and I think it will take about 3 years to pay off the mortgage, at which point I suspect I'll find it quite a bit harder to do an office job.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » December 10th, 2018, 4:04 pm

I was a programmer, sat at 2 computer screens all day from age 20-27. Quit and went working for minimum wage in warehouses. Best thing I ever did. Of course the built up wealth in those 7 high paid years helped. Not sure I'd be so keen starting at 16 in the warehouse.

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » December 10th, 2018, 5:15 pm

A relative was a taxi driver for many years, then an IFA for a long time before becoming the CEO of an environmental charity that requires him to get lots of fresh air

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 11th, 2018, 8:46 am

I wonder what a poor, over-stressed, mentally exhausted, burned-out prime minister might choose for her next stage in life? ;)

I think she might perhaps find fulfilment in landscape gardening. I've got a deep hole in my garden that needs digging.

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 11th, 2018, 8:52 am

bungeejumper wrote:I wonder what a poor, over-stressed, mentally exhausted, burned-out prime minister might choose for her next stage in life? ;)

I think she might perhaps find fulfilment in landscape gardening. I've got a deep hole in my garden that needs digging.

BJ

I was born in the same year as the PM and I must say that I would be feeling pretty knackered by now if I had had her schedule for the last two years. Time to take the Chiltern Hundreds I think...not a long journey for her from Maidenhead or Chequers.

John

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » December 11th, 2018, 2:43 pm

I was an Engineer, Chief Engineer in various medium sized companies for almost 20 years. Then I got kicked out for purely political reasons when I stood up to the Asset Strippers. Started my own business and ran it successfully for another 15 years. Basically I became a salesman, always thought it was an easy low stress well paid job, it was. It paid handsomely, much easier and much better paid than being an Engineer… sad….

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 11th, 2018, 2:46 pm

I wonder what a poor, over-stressed, mentally exhausted, burned-out prime minister might choose for her next stage in life?

She's rather spoiled her chances of ever getting a job as a negotiator.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 11th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Our window cleaner used to be a teacher. Usually, he turns up wearing black clothing. Whenever he climbs up the lower roof to clean out the gutters of the upper roof of my house, he looks like batman. He tells me he prefers working outside climbing ladders to being stuck in a classroom.

A postman in our area also used to be a teacher. He tells me he much prefers walking the same roads posting letters in the same letterboxes day after day to the boring repetitive work of teaching the same thing to different pupils.

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » December 13th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Yup, after working as an IT network and infrastructure engineer for the last 16 years, 14 of them for the largest engineering firm in the world this year saw me back behind the wheel of a 44 ton truck after a 16 year break.

Very enjoyable it was too. The difference being I only need to do it for four months of the year, the rest being spent doing as please.

I reached the stage when even a very good salary and a list of perks as long as my arm could not keep me in a horrible boring and toxic work environment.

Having just returned from a month diving with the wife in Bonaire I met up with three of the four team members I left behind for lunch yesterday, they all look to have aged by years in the few months since I last saw them where they all commented on how well I looked.

You cannot put a price tag on your health.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”