Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Christmas cake & cheese

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Christmas cake & cheese

Postby tjh290633 » December 12th, 2018, 2:27 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:..a sixpence- at my gran's anyway
Hopefully well scrubbed
(they make good guitar picks , particularly if you're Brian May)

Are you sure that wasn't a silver thrruppeny piece?

Lots were saved just to be put in the Christmas Pudding.

Thinking about it, the old 12-sided thrruppeny piece was worth about the same as one of the new 12-sided pound coins, actually a bit more. Four would buy a pint and one would buy the Daily Telegraph.

TJH

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » December 12th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Fruit cake and stilton. Yum :D

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 12th, 2018, 3:44 pm

We (myself and wife) first experienced fruit cake with cheese when walking in the Yorkshire Dales. Both the Dales and the cake & cheese met with our full approval.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 12th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Christmas cake and cheese - yummy. When I visited my aunt in Lancs. we'd have yorkshire pudding as a pud drizzled with golden syrup. I also remember my friends gran giving us a mince pie with cheese melted over the top. At the age of eight I thought they were cullinary heaven though maybe the adage that "hunger is the best sauce"came into play.

R6

Skotch
Lemon Pip

Postby Skotch » December 12th, 2018, 4:36 pm

Slarti wrote:Certainly Christmas cake with cheese, any strong cheese.

Yorkshire puddings were served with any roast meat for as long as I can remember, by those who did them.
My family preferred the suet batter, mix as for a suet pudding poured into bun tins with hot fat in and cooked in the oven for about half an hour until golden brown on top. Crunchy on top, light and fluffy inside.

Also, a nice crisp apple with cheese
Crackers and Marmite with cheese is one my wife likes, as did my mother.

Christmas cake, fried in butter - after picking the marzipan and icing off.

All things from my childhood, some still eaten to this day.

Slarti

Absolutely - fried in butter then add double cream to the pan to create an unctuous sauce - served with ice cream. An artery clogger if ever there was one!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 12th, 2018, 4:41 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Hopefully well scrubbed

Thinking about it, the old 12-sided thrruppeny piece was worth about the same as one of the new 12-sided pound coins, actually a bit more. Four would buy a pint and one would buy the Daily Telegraph.

TJH

Always a sixpence when I were a lad (early 1970s) -probably inflation. Plus the sixpence survived decimalisation (as a 2.5p coin) and there were plenty in circulation throughout the 70s ,as far as i can remember

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » December 12th, 2018, 5:01 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
Hopefully well scrubbed

TJH

Always a sixpence when I were a lad (early 1970s) -probably inflation. Plus the sixpence survived decimalisation (as a 2.5p coin) and there were plenty in circulation throughout the 70s ,as far as i can remember

A 2.5p coin?

There never was one, I'm afraid . . .

Watis

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 12th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Watis wrote:A 2.5p coin?

Watis

Sixpences continued to be legal tender with a value of ​2 1⁄2 new pence until 30 June 1980

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixpence_(British_coin) which matches my memory

Slarti

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 12th, 2018, 5:35 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Are you sure that wasn't a silver thrruppeny piece?

Yes - but as they increasingly disappeared - I suspect long before the majority of our contributors were around - it switched to a sixpence. But I can't recollect the tradition surviving decimalisation. I understand from my grandchildren that the tooth fairy payment is still extant, but at a much higher rate than I remember.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 12th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Slarti wrote:

Watis

Sixpences continued to be legal tender with a value of ​2 1⁄2 new pence until 30 June 1980 ...

Yup but the banterish comment was directed at 'as a 2.5p coin'. ;)

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » December 12th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Many years ago I was invited to lunch at a friend's family. Huge Yorkshire pud and gravy. Delicious. I thought that was it. But no, it was indeed just the first course. Main meat course followed. Yes, in harder times the yorkshire pud was intended to fill people up before the meat course. So it was traditionally eaten first.

Gryff

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » December 12th, 2018, 9:19 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Slarti wrote:

Watis

Sixpences continued to be legal tender with a value of ​2 1⁄2 new pence until 30 June 1980 ...

Yup but the banterish comment was directed at 'as a 2.5p coin'. ;)

There was no intention to be banterish. I understood the comment to mean that a 2.5 new pence coin was minted, rather than that the old 'tanner' continued to be legal tender, which frankly I had forgotten.

So, apologies for the misunderstanding.

Watis

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 12th, 2018, 10:16 pm

queso y membrillo

(roughly translates to cheese and stiff marmalade for Brits; but the latins actually make it with quince)

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postre_vigilante

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/m ... nce_paste/

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » December 12th, 2018, 10:37 pm

zico wrote:Apparently people in the USA are shocked (on Twitter, at least) that here in the UK we like to eat a slice of iced christmas cake together with a lump of cheese.
It also seems a lot of people in the UK have never come across this particular dish.

Seemed quite a common combination when I was in North Yorkshire a few months ago. I was even offered fruit cake and Wensleydale cheese by the volunteer caretakers at Ribblehead Railway Station!

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 13th, 2018, 7:30 am

dspp wrote:(roughly translates to cheese and stiff marmalade for Brits; but the latins actually make it with quince)

Actually marmalade WAS originally made with quince.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmalade

Quince grows as easily as apples in Britain, not so oranges.

gadjet
Lemon Pip

Postby gadjet » December 13th, 2018, 3:05 pm

We have warm mince pies, topped with stilton cheese, with a glass of port on New Year's Eve.
(OH is from Yorkshire so I assume the idea started there.)

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 14th, 2018, 12:30 am

Xmas cake and cheese? Yukh. Never in my 50 years. 'It ain't English' that's for sure.

Maybe courses are being muddled. I mean post Xmas cake you might have mince pies, now a slice of cheese with that would work [well, for me at least ;)]

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » December 17th, 2018, 3:13 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Hopefully well scrubbed

TJH

As kids in the 60s I remember having silver thruppenny bits in the xmas pud. These had been saved for the specific function because the metal content of the sixpences meant they had to be wrapped in silver foil before cooking. (This is all from memory so may be wrong! ;)).
Of course we had to give the silver joeys back if we found one which made it all rather pointless anyway.
I can also remember that due to the disappointment and subsequent sulking that ensued if you didn't find one, my mother used to slip the coins into each portion of pud just before serving them, so everyone got one (in theory).

Silver joeys? Did everyone call them that or was it a Cardiff/Welsh thing?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 17th, 2018, 4:08 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Xmas cake and cheese? Yukh. Never in my 50 years. 'It ain't English' that's for sure. ...

It's not something I'd heard of before but it is clear from the thread that it exists and is most likely a regional thing within the United Kingdom, including parts of England.

Gaggsy wrote:As kids in the 60s I remember having silver thruppenny bits in the xmas pud. These had been saved for the specific function because the metal content of the sixpences meant they had to be wrapped in silver foil before cooking. ...

We gave up "cooking" the coins about 40 years ago. Far simpler to use the cheat you mention but, for fun, only in the portions for the youngsters. Less chance of emergency dental appointments for the frail of teeth.

Silver joeys? Did everyone call them that or was it a Cardiff/Welsh thing?

See the entry for Joey here https://www.businessballs.com/amusement ... ng/#toc-15 which includes:

Cassell's says Joey was also used for the brass-nickel threepenny bit, which was introduced in 1937, although as a child in South London the 1960s I cannot remember the threepenny bit ever being called a Joey, and neither can my Mum or Dad, who both say a Joey in London was a silver threepence and nothing else (although they'd be too young to remember groats...). … The Joey slang word seems reasonably certainly to have been named after the politician Joseph Hume (1777-1855), who advocated successfully that the fourpenny groat be reintroduced, which it was in 1835 or 1836, chiefly to foil London cab drivers …

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 17th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Gaggsy wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:Are you sure that wasn't a silver thrruppeny piece? TJH

As kids in the 60s I remember having silver thruppenny bits in the xmas pud. These had been saved for the specific function because the metal content of the sixpences meant they had to be wrapped in silver foil before cooking. (This is all from memory so may be wrong! ;)). Of course we had to give the silver joeys back if we found one which made it all rather pointless anyway.

My parents [combined age about 180, no really :)] still put silver 3D coins in the Xmas pud. Usually 4-6 can be expected, odds of getting one a touch lower than 1:1. They tightly wrap each one in a little foil before slotting them in; the coins are each about a century old and as near as matters pure silver, so they perhaps wish to avoid 'boiling them in acidic fruit pudding'. It fun to find one. It's less fun to bite on one as they give you a small kind of electric jolt though any amalgum fillings you might have. after 50+ years I've grown used to them though, and it's still fun wondering if I'll get one.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”