Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Tory MPs are Liars (says Tory MP)

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Tory MPs are Liars (says Tory MP)

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 13th, 2018, 12:27 am

Having spent much of today on several trains, I heard quite a lot of today's vote discussion on the radio.

One thing that struck me was one of the full-on loonies Andrea Jenkyns, interviewed on the World at One. She said quite clearly that many of her colleagues, including six ministers, were liars. Or specifically that they had said one thing in public and the opposite in private.

Much of that was doubtless delusional, but it seems entirely plausible that some of her colleagues are indeed liars exactly as described. What tickled me was that she should say so quite so bluntly on mainstream national radio!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Tory MPs are Liars (says Tory MP)

Postby tjh290633 » December 13th, 2018, 8:56 am

Uncle, you remember the old saying.

How can you tell if a politician is lying? If he opens his mouth.

TJH

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » December 13th, 2018, 9:47 am

It is said that if a lie is oft repeated by enough people then it becomes accepted as the irrefutable truth.

Politicians seem to prove the adage.

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » December 13th, 2018, 12:06 pm

I think we can expand this to all MPs are liars. Tories do not have the monopoly.

Remember the liar in chief, Tony Bliar.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 13th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Quint wrote:I think we can expand this to all MPs are liars. Tories do not have the monopoly.

Yeah, but my point wasn't about who's a liar (nothing new or interesting there), it was about who's calling them liars. Much more telling!

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » December 13th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Quint wrote:I think we can expand this to all MPs are liars. Tories do not have the monopoly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46316184

A Labour MP accused of lying about who was driving her speeding car will face a retrial after a jury failed to reach a verdict.

Fiona Onasanya, 35, is alleged to have claimed a Russian man was behind the wheel to escape prosecution for driving 41mph in a 30mph zone in July 2017.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » December 13th, 2018, 8:51 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Tory MPs are Liars (says Tory MP)

But do you believe her?

:shock:

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » December 14th, 2018, 9:26 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Yeah, but my point wasn't about who's a liar (nothing new or interesting there), it was about who's calling them liars. Much more telling!

Yes, confirmation of what we all suspected direct from the horse's mouth.

Pot and kettle springs to mind.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 14th, 2018, 1:28 pm

gryffron wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Tory MPs are Liars (says Tory MP)

But do you believe her?

:shock:

"All Cretans are liars"

Epimenides

John

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 14th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Fiona Onasanya, 35, is alleged to have claimed a Russian man was behind the wheel to escape prosecution for driving 41mph in a 30mph zone in July 2017.

But to be honest, it is easily done. We used to live in Stevenage, and anyone who lives there will know the road called 'Grace Way', a very, very long and wide road, N-S, that was 30mph. A lonely road. We rarely saw anyone there. Just cars. I reckon that there aren't many people that didn't get caught there. Hundreds of parents taking their kids to school. I think it was 30mph simply because there were some apartment blocks and houses within a certain distance.

What I do remember are all the school governors asking the police to park their bloody cars close to the schools and control the dangerous driving there.

But apparently more money was to be made on the the long and safe road where nobody walked. Almost every day there was a policeman with a radar gun there, on the wide open road where nothing ever happened, totally ignoring all the Primary schools where the police were really needed!

Steve

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » December 14th, 2018, 6:55 pm

stevensfo wrote:

But to be honest, it is easily done. We used to live in Stevenage, and anyone who lives there will know the road called 'Grace Way', a very, very long and wide road, N-S, that was 30mph. A lonely road. We rarely saw anyone there. Just cars. I reckon that there aren't many people that didn't get caught there. Hundreds of parents taking their kids to school. I think it was 30mph simply because there were some apartment blocks and houses within a certain distance.

What I do remember are all the school governors asking the police to park their bloody cars close to the schools and control the dangerous driving there.

But apparently more money was to be made on the the long and safe road where nobody walked. Almost every day there was a policeman with a radar gun there, on the wide open road where nothing ever happened, totally ignoring all the Primary schools where the police were really needed!

Steve

If you had been caught for speeding on Grace Way would you have claimed that a Russian man was driving your car at the time to escape prosecution?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 14th, 2018, 7:54 pm

The reason I never "Thank"(?) anyone is because, when the system was introduced to TLF, I said I'd only use it is you could either vote a post down as well as up, or if it was possible to have a separate "Negative" vote...

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 14th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Liars seems a pretty mild description. John Major used much stronger descriptions of Conservative MPs - I seem to remember "bastards" being used for Cabinet Ministers and "hearing the sounds of flapping white coats" when a certain other Conservative MP approached.
Are such conditions a possible (genetic?) feature of Conservative MPs - since they certainly still seem to have a strong current representation? Or is a peculiar upbringing in certain schools the determining feature? Is it Nature or Nurture? Any odd academic out there willing to take on the study? I would Imagine you could get a European Grant.
Its interesting how a minority of MPs in the Conservative party can make life hell for their leader whom they hate, whereas in the
Labour party there is a substantial majority of MPs who hate their current leader, but who seem totally incapable of doing anything to discomfit him.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”