Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Andy Murray

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Andy Murray

Postby Leothebear » January 12th, 2019, 9:18 am

It only seemed a moment ago when a young, gangly and introverted Scot came on the scene.
He survived all the pressure of national expectation to achieve more than I thought him capable.

He had many disappointments but always seemed to come back a bit stronger and even more determined. He successes came at a time when there three other superb players who would rank in most people's 'best ever' list.

He proved me wrong and stands way above any other British player before or since. I take my hat off to him.

Note: This will in no way effect my ridiculing of the Scottish football team.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Andy Murray

Postby Dod101 » January 12th, 2019, 9:38 am

As a fellow Scot, I agree with all that Leothebear has said.

He is though very young to have a hip problem and of course we do not know what was done in his op last year. To have a hip replacement at his age is not good because a new hip might last 20 years if he is lucky and then he would need to go through it all again, and the second time round is not considered quite so straightforward. Of course he must have put all his joints under huge strain over his sporting career.

Dod

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 12th, 2019, 11:01 am

Tennis is the only sport I enjoy watching and I've watched Wimbledon ever since I was quite young. I never thought I'd live to see a male British player either win Wimbledon or become World No.1. Tim Henman was good to watch, an elegant touch player, but never quite had what it takes to beat the very best. So thank you Andy Murray for becoming the real deal. I hope his impending hip surgery gives him a pain-free retirement, he certainly deserves it.

RC

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » January 14th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Mrs BnC is the tennis fan at Bnc towers and we have had the pleasure of going to Wimbledon to see AM play live.

Much as I can understand via Mrs Bnc his achievements in the world of tennis, I must say that I do not regard it an achievement to damage one's body in the process. Playing a sport is not like being in the military, (for example) where war and other acts of aggression can leave a member of the armed forces permanently scarred for life. Playing a sport because it is enjoyable is one thing but playing a sport where the player wants to win at all costs, including self-inflicted damage to body. is another.

Long before their marriage was announced I wrote to Kim Sears, AM's girlfriend, I didn't get a reply, I didn't expect to, with some words of my wisdom. I am pleased that what I said may have contributed to them getting married. AM has done a great deal for British tennis, his mother has done a vast amount as well: between them hopefully AM's brother Jamie, already a high achiever, will come more to the fore.

According to Mrs BnC, AM is likely to make a good commentator. I daresay she will be keen to listen to his comments as she has been in following his career. To round off the experience, perhaps we shall visit Cromlix one day.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 14th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Do we definitively know that playing tennis at such high levels with its attendant demands is the reason for his hip issues?

I had a total hip right replacement aged 50 which I was told was very young in the normal scheme of things. Due to osteo-arthritus. I was told that playing front row, wicket keeping & bowling, and running/triathlon may have shortened my hip's lifespan a little but was not the underlying reason and I'd have ended up needing the replacement eventually whatever.

As it is i got the new hip so young because the consultant could see I would "use it" - still running today

didds

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 14th, 2019, 3:50 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Long before their marriage was announced I wrote to Kim Sears, AM's girlfriend, I didn't get a reply, I didn't expect to, with some words of my wisdom. I am pleased that what I said may have contributed to them getting married.

You're on a roll today BnC. That's the second time you've made me laugh out loud today.

Your 'modesty' knows no bounds!

HYD

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 16th, 2019, 2:36 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
Much as I can understand via Mrs Bnc his achievements in the world of tennis, I must say that I do not regard it an achievement to damage one's body in the process. Playing a sport is not like being in the military, (for example) where war and other acts of aggression can leave a member of the armed forces permanently scarred for life. Playing a sport because it is enjoyable is one thing but playing a sport where the player wants to win at all costs, including self-inflicted damage to body. is another.

All professional sports participants are carrying injuries all the time. Source: leading sports physio.

DM

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”