Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Poll - out of date stock on supermarket shelves

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

Poll - out of date stock on supermarket shelves - what would you do?

Instruct a solicitor to sue them.
No votes
Write a stiff letter to Head Office.
2%
Bring them to the attention of a member of staff for them to deal with.
67%
Buy them yourself to prevent anyone else inadvertently buying them.
No votes
Nothing at all.
28%
Something else - let us know what.
4%

Total votes: 54

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Poll - out of date stock on supermarket shelves

Postby Slarti » January 19th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Today we were requested to buy some continental sausage for the lad's sandwiches and went for the requested Italian Salami Selection pack, only to notice that the front one was dated 06 Jan 2019 :shock:

Looked at the others in that display box and the one behind and they were all dated yesterday. The next box back was dated mid February.

And yes, we grabbed a member of staff who was shocked and who removed the out of date items.

I've seen the odd item or 2 before, but never that much in one go.

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 19th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Raptor wrote: Mind you I ask a question, how many of you check the dates of products in you cupboards?

We always put new stock behind old in the fridge and pantry so that, as long as we don't buy too much, things will get used in time.

Each time a fridge glass shelf gets taken out to be washed, its contents are checked before putting them back and in the run up to Christmas, everything in the pantry will be checked. Occasionally ends of jars of sauces, pickles and similar need to be removed. But not often.

Slarti

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 19th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Out of idle curiosity I just looked in my herbs cupboard. There are herbs from when I lived in France 1982 to 1985, maybe the contents are newer. Also 1 from USA 1987. Also some garam masala made for me by a colleague in the UK 1989. Whoops. Also just made a chilli con carne, checked the herbs and the cumin expired 2013, coriander 2015 and the cinnamon stick 2017. If you do not hear from me next week you know why.....

I have taken 3 boxes of eggs from work today. Display until 18th. Best before 22nd. They will be fine..... :evil:

Raptor

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » January 20th, 2019, 9:33 pm

I went to work in Bahrain in 1977 before the days of supermarkets over there, also before there any local laws regarding use by, best before or expiry dates. The food shops were called cold stores, wheather that was because they had air conditioning or because they had refrigerators, I cannot say. Anyway power cuts were frequent, often for days at a time and that in 42C heat! It wasn't unusual to see blown cans of all descriptions on sale, exported from Europe by unscrupulous merchants, keen to sell their out of date stock at full price. Laws regarding out of date food stuff were introduced following several cases of food poisoning. When I returned for a second time in 1991, the law was very strict, having out dated items on sale could result in jail! In 1995 I went work in to Saudi as an executive chef and the law there was that nothing could be imported more than one year before expiry date, resulting in frequent shortages of stock because merchants only ordered the bare minimum. It was not unusual to see cans with the European date blanked out or covered over with a one year dated sticker. As executive chef at the Jordan Inter-Continental in 1976, I used to import live lobsters at the time that expiry dates were introduced. The first shipment after that was left on the tarmac in high summer until it was realised that live products did not have expiry dates and they were released to us at the end of the day, dead and stinking! Another event was that the importation of alcohol was suspended for a while because there we no expiry dates on the bottles!

john

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 21st, 2019, 10:02 am

I made some bread pudding on Saturday, I'm pretty sure the bread was out of date, hence making bread pudding with it. The glace cherries were in an unopened tub with a BBE of 2014. They passed the sniff test, and a taste test. I'm still here, so we're all good. I didn't even bother looking at the dates on the sultanas and mixed spice.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 21st, 2019, 11:14 am

The burning question is what date should I eat eatme dates by eat by dates use by dates sell by dates or best by dates and is it best to buy dates before best buy dates and use the dates by use by dates?

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 21st, 2019, 11:17 am

redsturgeon wrote:The burning question is what date should I eat eatme dates by eat by dates use by dates sell by dates or best by dates and is it best to buy dates before best buy dates and use the dates by use by dates?

John

Probably.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » January 21st, 2019, 11:32 am

redsturgeon wrote:The burning question is what date should I eat eatme dates by eat by dates use by dates sell by dates or best by dates and is it best to buy dates before best buy dates and use the dates by use by dates?

John

I'm sure you'll fig-ure it out.

Watis

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 21st, 2019, 12:13 pm

Raptor wrote:Out of idle curiosity I just looked in my herbs cupboard. There are herbs from when I lived in France 1982 to 1985, maybe the contents are newer. Also 1 from USA 1987. Also some garam masala made for me by a colleague in the UK 1989. Whoops. Also just made a chilli con carne, checked the herbs and the cumin expired 2013, coriander 2015 and the cinnamon stick 2017.

Hopefully you will chuck out that lot. It may be that they will not poison you but they will most certainly have lost their potency in that time. I cannot see the point in using herbs and spices which are well past their sell by date. I can stretch past the 'Best before' date, just.

Dod

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 21st, 2019, 6:30 pm

Watis wrote:I've had several instances recently of finding stock on supermarket shelves that has pased its 'best before' or 'use by' dates.

If you found such items, what would you do?

Watis

If I wanted to buy it, ask for a discount.

If I didn't, ignore it for someone who did.

Mel

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”