Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

I blame Brexit

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: I blame Brexit

Postby chas49 » January 20th, 2019, 9:18 pm

melonfool wrote:I can't go to Weatherspoons.

I object to the sticky carpets, dated decor, the dreadful food, the mediocre 'service', the fact you have to go and place your own order, lack of atmosphere, the clientele. But, more than any of that, I object to their vile owner and his Brexit coasters and leaflets!

I also wouldn't buy a Dyson.

Mel

It seems you don't even have to go to a 'Spoons to be subjected to his views. The "Wetherspoons News" was delivered (unaddressed) by the postie last week. At least it's recyclable.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 20th, 2019, 9:22 pm

melonfool wrote:I can't go to Weatherspoons. I object to . . . the clientele . . .

Reminds me of the survey that Waitrose did of their customers to discover what they liked about the upmarket grocery chain. They were hoping to learn that it was the quality and choice of the produce, the value for money, the customer service etc.

Turned out that the number one reason that people shop at Waitrose was to avoid the kind of people you get in Tescos, Asda etc.

The survey results were buried. Oops. Grockle and chav avoidance is alive and well in post-snobbery Britain, evidently . . .

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 20th, 2019, 9:32 pm

I have no idea what "post snobbery Britain" means, probably a made up way to pretend other people have suggested they are not something that they are. Doesn't apply to me of course, I've never pretended not to be a snob (not that I routinely shop in Waitrose mind you)

I also don't know if the clientele are 'chavs' (a word I didn't personally use, clearly) , but what I do know is that they are loud, unpleasant and drunk. In the middle of the day. I'd leave any establishment with customers behaving like that.

Mel

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 21st, 2019, 10:17 am

melonfool wrote:I have no idea what "post snobbery Britain" means, probably a made up way to pretend other people have suggested they are not something that they are. Doesn't apply to me of course, I've never pretended not to be a snob (not that I routinely shop in Waitrose mind you)

I also don't know if the clientele are 'chavs' (a word I didn't personally use, clearly) , but what I do know is that they are loud, unpleasant and drunk. In the middle of the day. I'd leave any establishment with customers behaving like that.

Mel

Give me a break, I only go in there occasionally. :oops:

Seriously, I think you underrate 'spoons customers. Maybe that should be 'you seriously underrate 'spoons customers. When on holiday we used to find Weatherspoons ok for breakfast. They opened at 8 a.m. and there was often a few waiting for the doors to open. As soon as they could they were at the bar and ordering pints and other alcoholic drinks. Many were already smashed from the night before. I was surprised at the number of obviously middle class elderly couples involved, they were the majority of the early crowd.

The thought of drinking beer at that time of the morning would never cross my mind. We stopped using that particular chain for breakfast because the food was invariably cold.

The evening meals can be good value and decent quality if you are selective on the nights you choose.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 21st, 2019, 10:50 am

You're all missing the point surely? what an anti social swine the app user was! You're going for a meal together, but you order your meal and drink separately? What sort of insular swine...oh wait...spent the rest of the time on snapchat? There's no hope. And you want to order at the same time so you're noshing away at the same time as everyone else, not sat there listening to their mastication on a full stomach. Surely the decent thing to do would be to offer to do the whole order for everyone on the app, save everyone the bother of interacting with the staff. Particularly if I was a partner of a kid and therefore I would be wanting to make a good impression.

Last time I went to a 'spoons we had an app user with us, which was probably why we ended up in 'spoons, but he was happy to be waiter for the five of us. It's a rather good idea I reckon.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 21st, 2019, 11:19 am

Lootman wrote:
melonfool wrote:I can't go to Weatherspoons. I object to . . . the clientele . . .

Reminds me of the survey that Waitrose did of their customers to discover what they liked about the upmarket grocery chain. They were hoping to learn that it was the quality and choice of the produce, the value for money, the customer service etc.

Turned out that the number one reason that people shop at Waitrose was to avoid the kind of people you get in Tescos, Asda etc.

The survey results were buried. Oops. Grockle and chav avoidance is alive and well in post-snobbery Britain, evidently . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... er-hashtag

So not *actual* survey responses.

DM

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » January 21st, 2019, 11:19 am

UncleIan wrote:You're all missing the point surely? what an anti social swine the app user was!

Exactly so

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 21st, 2019, 12:44 pm

Wetherspoons is a nice cheap choice for all your last minute Tinder dates.

:D

HYD

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 21st, 2019, 1:53 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:So not *actual* survey responses.

Define "survey". If someone asks my opinion as part of an exercise then they are surveying opinions.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 21st, 2019, 2:08 pm

Lootman wrote:

Define "survey". If someone asks my opinion as part of an exercise then they are surveying opinions.

Maybe, but it is as clear as clear can be that the answers given were not the serious opinions of Waitrose shoppers.

DM

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 21st, 2019, 2:37 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Maybe, but it is as clear as clear can be that the answers given were not the serious opinions of Waitrose shoppers.

In that article, perhaps. I read about it elsewhere and that source put a different spin on the comments. I took note of that because I always thought that was a factor behind why people shop at John Lewis or Waitrose, just like some other people evidently pay more for their food and drinks to avoid 'spoons.

Personally I shop at Waitrose but am also perfectly happy to go to Wetherspoons pubs. Although these days I avoid them generally on busy evenings because of the crowds. To paraphrase an old joke: "Nobody goes to Wetherspoons any more; they are too crowded"

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » January 21st, 2019, 2:41 pm

melonfool wrote:I can't go to Weatherspoons.

I object to the sticky carpets, dated decor, the dreadful food, the mediocre 'service', the fact you have to go and place your own order, lack of atmosphere, the clientele. But, more than any of that, I object to their vile owner and his Brexit coasters and leaflets!

I also wouldn't buy a Dyson.

Mel

I had lunch in a Wetherspoons last year and was blown away by the value for money!

I had fish, chips & peas for £3.99 (reduced from £4.99 for the day). For that price I was expecting a triangular, manufactured portion of fish in batter from the freezer and cheap, anaemic chips.

What I got was a smaller version of fish & chips that I regularly pay £10 - £15 for as an evening meal at any other pub. A whole fish, perfectly cooked, in proper batter and accompanied by crisp, golden chips.

I hold no brief on the owner of Wetherspoons, or any other business whose owner happens to be pro Brexit. To avoid such businesses might mean being unable to buy a property on the grounds that at least one piece of machinery made by JCB was likely used in its construction!

Watis

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 21st, 2019, 2:45 pm

Watis wrote:I had lunch in a Wetherspoons last year and was blown away by the value for money!

I had fish, chips & peas for £3.99 (reduced from £4.99 for the day). For that price I was expecting a triangular, manufactured portion of fish in batter from the freezer and cheap, anaemic chips.

What I got was a smaller version of fish & chips that I regularly pay £10 - £15 for as an evening meal at any other pub. A whole fish, perfectly cooked, in proper batter and accompanied by crisp, golden chips.

A whole fish? Cod are pretty huge. Are you sure?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » January 21st, 2019, 2:49 pm

Lootman wrote:
Watis wrote:I had lunch in a Wetherspoons last year and was blown away by the value for money!

A whole fish? Cod are pretty huge. Are you sure?

It was a fillet, then. Of cod or haddock, according to their website.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 21st, 2019, 2:55 pm

Lootman wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:
Lootman wrote:Define "survey". If someone asks my opinion as part of an exercise then they are surveying opinions.

In that article, perhaps. I read about it elsewhere and that source put a different spin on the comments. I took note of that because I always thought that was a factor behind why people shop at John Lewis or Waitrose, just like some other people evidently pay more for their food and drinks to avoid 'spoons.'

Agreed and you can apply this to almost any goods or services that we buy.

If we take watching a Premier League football match at the actual ground as an example, it's possible to pay anything between £50 and £1,500 to watch exactly the same game. The only thing that changes is where you are sitting and what access to other parts of the stadium you get/free food/drink etc.

Personally, I avoid going to watch football now unless they are Corporate tickets as the 'experience' normally matters more to me than the result.

HYD

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 21st, 2019, 2:57 pm

Lootman wrote:In that article, perhaps. I read about it elsewhere and that source put a different spin on the comments. I took note of that because I always thought that was a factor behind why people shop at John Lewis or Waitrose, just like some other people evidently pay more for their food and drinks to avoid 'spoons.

Confirmation bias. I chose one out of the many articles one can find which tell the same story of the same incident.

DM

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 21st, 2019, 3:00 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
Lootman wrote:In that article, perhaps. I read about it elsewhere and that source put a different spin on the comments. I took note of that because I always thought that was a factor behind why people shop at John Lewis or Waitrose, just like some other people evidently pay more for their food and drinks to avoid 'spoons.

Confirmation bias. I chose one out of the many articles one can find which tell the same story of the same incident.

Evidently that finding bothers you a lot. I wonder why . .

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 21st, 2019, 4:37 pm

Lootman wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:

Evidently that finding bothers you a lot. I wonder why . .

Bothers me not a jot, I don't shop in Waitrose. You seem not to like being corrected, I wonder why...

DM

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » January 21st, 2019, 5:38 pm

Lootman wrote: The reference to Brexit in the topic title is tongue in cheek, in case you didn't realise that.

No, I really meant it

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 21st, 2019, 5:42 pm

simsqu wrote:
Lootman wrote: The reference to Brexit in the topic title is tongue in cheek, in case you didn't realise that.

No, I really meant it

I always make a point of reading the Wetherspoons magazine when I see one. There is usually a 8-page diatribe about Brexit in them, so I do see the connection.

My son introduced to me to the convenience of ordering from one's phone and I can see the virtue of doing that. As long as he buys a round and not just orders for himself of course. And since I don't have the "app", it means that he is buying all the rounds. A small price to pay for giving him the gift of life, I quipped.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”