Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

I blame Brexit

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Re: I blame Brexit

Postby SalvorHardin » January 22nd, 2019, 5:12 pm

I'm someone who clearly fits the stereotype that some remainers here have of a Wetherspoon's customer. A real ale drinking Brexit voter who has been retired for 15 years, drinks there quite often during the day, somewhat scruffily dressed (jeans, old Barbour jacket), eats there quite often, shops at Aldi and Lidl not Waitrose.

A friend says that after five pints of cider I could be Father Jack's stunt double (he's in Father Ted). However I do have more degrees than the fingers on one hand, so I'm a little bit better educated than most remainers.

There's a tremendous amount of anti-Wetherspoons snobbery nowadays, IMHO mostly driven by remain supporters (who don't go there) objecting to Tim Martin's position on Brexit. The food is as good as you get in most other pubs whilst the prices are excellent and there's a good selection of beers. Sure, at times you get a few alkies and people pissing away their dole money but most town centre pubs get this sort of customer now and again.

In my experience the loudest people in Wetherspoons tend to be braying about their new car or holiday (or other expensive item that they really can't afford) and students trying to tell everyone else how clever they are (a student who goes £30,000+ into debt whilst spending 3 years to get a Mickey Mouse degree isn't clever, more like highly gullible).

Wetherspoon's customers tend to reflect the area, so you'll get a very different crowd in The Lord Moon of The Mall on Whitehall compared to one in a working class part of Liverpool. In the daytime the Imperial in Exeter tends to be full with shoppers, office workers and people waiting for the train; in the evenings it's full of students and hipsters.

Anyway this thread has prompted me to buy some Wetherspoon shares. Just a tiny purchase though, only 1,000 shares.

BTW Tim Martin doesn't own Wetherspoons, he is its biggest shareholder.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 22nd, 2019, 8:03 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
There's a tremendous amount of anti-Wetherspoons snobbery nowadays, IMHO mostly driven by remain supporters (who don't go there) objecting to Tim Martin's position on Brexit.

Funny, I've not heard any anti-Wetherspoons snobbery myself, plenty of people I know go there and seem to like it. Must be the people you hang around with I suppose.

You obviously are not talking about me because I've been there twice in the last two months.

SalvorHardin wrote:The food is as good as you get in most other pubs
- So - a bit rubbish then? I had the same thing both times I went as the menu is less than inspiring, it was a bacon and avocado salad . The second time I asked if they could please add some bacon this time. And some avocado....
Actually, I remember now, the second time I tried to order a different salad but they had 'run out' (of salad...)

SalvorHardin wrote:whilst the prices are excellent and there's a good selection of beers. Sure, at times you get a few alkies and people pissing away their dole money but most town centre pubs get this sort of customer now and again.
- indeed, I don't go to those myself. And I don't drink beer.

SalvorHardin wrote:In my experience the loudest people in Wetherspoons tend to be braying about their new car or holiday (or other expensive item that they really can't afford) and students trying to tell everyone else how clever they are (a student who goes £30,000+ into debt whilst spending 3 years to get a Mickey Mouse degree isn't clever, more like highly gullible).
- this doesn't seem to happen in the Milton Keynes one, it was mainly old blokes going in and out to smoke continually.

But....

SalvorHardin wrote:However I do have more degrees than the fingers on one hand, so I'm a little bit better educated than most remainers.
- oh, gosh, the irony of telling everyone how clever you are!! To be fair to both remainers and leavers, five degrees is more educated than most people. In the case of leavers, more educated than all of them put together I expect.

SalvorHardin wrote:BTW Tim Martin doesn't own Wetherspoons, he is its biggest shareholder.
- I've got some pinheads here if you'd like to send over some angels to dance on them?

Mel

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 22nd, 2019, 8:08 pm

SalvorHardin wrote: However I do have more degrees than the fingers on one hand, so I'm a little bit better educated than most remainers.

We know, You keep telling us.

--kiloran

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » January 22nd, 2019, 8:26 pm

kiloran wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote: However I do have more degrees than the fingers on one hand, so I'm a little bit better educated than most remainers.

--kiloran

If it winds up people like you then it's well worth it :D

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 22nd, 2019, 8:43 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
kiloran wrote:

--kiloran

If it winds up people like you then it's well worth it :D

Hah! You took the bait :D

--kiloran

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 22nd, 2019, 9:16 pm

SalvorHardin wrote: In the daytime the Imperial in Exeter tends to be full with shoppers, office workers and people waiting for the train; in the evenings it's full of students and hipsters.

Forget it on a hot sunny day though. The vast grounds attract swarms to go there and fritter away the day. Better then to stroll over to the City Gate in Irongate - a Youngs pub with a great beer garden, and much-improved food now they have put in an open kitchen.

You might also like the Fat Pig tucked away behind Fore Street.

My favourite Exeter pub is the HourGlass, close to the Quay. Quirky as heck.

https://www.hourglassexeter.co.uk/

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 22nd, 2019, 9:33 pm

Wow, I just avoid places where I don't like their political (or other) views - these leavers issue actual death threats (*WARNING* - you may need to turn down your irony meter for this or it will overheat):

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/staff-a ... 6xlhF7vYsI

Mel

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » January 23rd, 2019, 8:03 am

Lootman wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote: In the daytime the Imperial in Exeter tends to be full with shoppers, office workers and people waiting for the train; in the evenings it's full of students and hipsters.

Forget it on a hot sunny day though. The vast grounds attract swarms to go there and fritter away the day. Better then to stroll over to the City Gate in Irongate - a Youngs pub with a great beer garden, and much-improved food now they have put in an open kitchen.

You might also like the Fat Pig tucked away behind Fore Street.

My favourite Exeter pub is the HourGlass, close to the Quay. Quirky as heck.

https://www.hourglassexeter.co.uk/

Ahh, Exeter, my old stomping ground - I was always a fan of The Ship Inn, down a little alley opposite the cathedral.

Great times :D

Cheers, OLTB.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 23rd, 2019, 8:57 am

melonfool wrote:Wow, I just avoid places where I don't like their political (or other) views - these leavers issue actual death threats (*WARNING* - you may need to turn down your irony meter for this or it will overheat):

What's wrong with some people? [shakes head sadly]

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”