Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Let iot snow, let it snow, let it snow

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Let iot snow, let it snow, let it snow

Postby Rhyd6 » January 31st, 2019, 3:40 pm

We've a log pile large enough to last until next year, a full tank of LPG, a well stocked larder and a well stocked cellar. Occasionally it's nice to sit and do nothing and not feel guilty about it. Hope that you're all prepared should you be marooned because of the snow. Mind you I wouldn't like to experience the weather they're having over in the States but so far, although we've had a hefty fall of snow and it's as cold as the witches proverbial we're quite enjoying ourselves.

R6

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Let iot snow, let it snow, let it snow

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 31st, 2019, 3:50 pm

The road outside my house got covered in a layer of hail a couple of nights ago. I was just sitting here in my night-time attire minding my own business and reading the LF when there were a couple of loud bangs outside. The first bang was caused by a car hitting my garden wall and the second bang was caused by my wall falling over onto the road. The wall was in need of repair and the exact spot where it was struck was the worst part and I can remember a couple of years ago thinking that a collision might prove fortuitous. The driver drove away with plenty of wheel spinning and has not been apprehended, although he did leave certain car parts amidst the rubble. I'm surprised it was driveable. These days the cops just stick it on Facebook and ask for help. The insurance surveyor cometh...

RC

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » January 31st, 2019, 6:15 pm

Plenty of propane, oil tank topped off. Generator diesel tank full. Sufficient beer and wine + plus a bottle of Hendricks. Jeep 3/4 full of diesel. If it got really bad plenty of cartridges for pigeons and rabbits. Probably won't see a flake of snow.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 31st, 2019, 8:20 pm

Nowt here in west Berks. We have snow forecast and it always seems to just miss us, or fall as rather pathetic sleet.
Happend all the time in Slough, but assumed that was the west London microclimate/warm air bubble.
Thought it would be different out west - perhaps it's the health-giving blue glow from Aldermaston down the road?

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » January 31st, 2019, 10:10 pm

First few flakes now falling over the EU-flag draped porch.

Made a last minute mercy dash to Waitrose to top off the avocado and quinoa supplies.

Depending on the state of the pavements tomorrow and how accessible is the local café, Patisserie Bon Matin, I may have to call 999 for an emergency airlift of a chai latte and biscotti

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 31st, 2019, 10:37 pm

Hee hee Simsqu, don't forget the pickled courgettes :D

R6

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Postby gryffron » January 31st, 2019, 11:00 pm

One inch of snow expected in London. Expect headlines of "End of the World" & "Country at a standstill" from the London based media.

:lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 31st, 2019, 11:21 pm

gryffron wrote:One inch of snow expected in London. Expect headlines of "End of the World" & "Country at a standstill" from the London based media.

Refreshing change from br****.

Just home from evening out: pavement was distinctly slippery. Hold the front page?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 1st, 2019, 9:25 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
gryffron wrote:One inch of snow expected in London. Expect headlines of "End of the World" & "Country at a standstill" from the London based media.

Just home from evening out: pavement was distinctly slippery. Hold the front page?

No, hold on to the fence, hedge, wall or lamppost. I nearly went base over apex this morning, walking along a muddy footpath, where the snow had already melted. Nothing adjacent to the spot of the event.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » February 1st, 2019, 10:59 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:...assumed that was the west London microclimate/warm air bubble.

Nah... just hot air from Westminster ...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 1st, 2019, 11:50 am

tjh290633 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

No, hold on to the fence, hedge, wall or lamppost. I nearly went base over apex this morning, walking along a muddy footpath, where the snow had already melted. Nothing adjacent to the spot of the event.

Heh. Not so far off.

To expand on what I posted, when I went out yesterday I took the precaution of packing a pair of sandals that happens to have particularly good grip on snow/ice. Didn't wear them 'cos one of them has a split sole and may have limited remaining life! It was when I got off the bus coming home that I was really sliding around with very little control, so at that point I made my way carefully across the pavement to support myself on someone's wall while I changed into the winter sandals. When in those, walking became normal: no slipping.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » February 2nd, 2019, 4:45 pm

OP's post on the glow of satisfaction from being fully prepared for whatever the weather throws at them sounds like Scandinavian Hygge. I in my eyrie in Rutland am reminded of "All is safely gathered in, Ere the winter storms begin" from Henry Alford's well-known harvest hymn; wrong season perhaps but same reassuring sentiment.

Some of the most evocative descriptions of this same 'preparedness' were made by the Little Grey Rabbit author Alison Uttley who was brought up in a storm-proof stone-built farm high above the Derwent Valley. In her biographical writing she tells of being cut off for days there by snow; a trial for the farmer to get feed to his animals but a completely enclosed world with good stocks of milk, butter, salted flitches hanging in the pantry and coal, and in a farmhouse that had stoutly withstood the elements for many generations of her family.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”