Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Nationality question

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
swill453
Lemon Half

Nationality question

Postby swill453 » February 15th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Often official forms ask for Nationality and Country of Residence. I always respond with "British" and "United Kingdom". I fully realise there are other options open to me, but that's what I want to do.

I'm curious, however, how a typical person from Northern Ireland would respond to such questions. Is there a "typical" response? Does it vary depending on the politics of the person?

It seems to me the UK is fairly unusual in having no definitive way to answer these questions.

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Nationality question

Postby Lootman » February 15th, 2019, 7:35 pm

swill453 wrote:Often official forms ask for Nationality and Country of Residence. I always respond with "British" and "United Kingdom". I fully realise there are other options open to me, but that's what I want to do.

I'm curious, however, how a typical person from Northern Ireland would respond to such questions. Is there a "typical" response? Does it vary depending on the politics of the person?

It seems to me the UK is fairly unusual in having no definitive way to answer these questions.

I've always taken the view that the nation is the United Kingdom but the country is England (or Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland), i.e. the nation consists of four countries. So I'd answer British and England.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 15th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Well, I don't think the UK is a country so my country of residence is England.

Nationality is British.

For NI, I'd say it was "Northern Ireland" and "British".

Mel

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 15th, 2019, 7:45 pm

melonfool wrote:Well, I don't think the UK is a country so my country of residence is England.

Nationality is British.

For NI, I'd say it was "Northern Ireland" and "British".

That's what puzzles me, though, because the simple fact is that Northern Ireland isn't in Britain. You may be right of course.

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 15th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I'd imagine many people living in Northern Ireland might say their Nationality is Irish.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 15th, 2019, 8:33 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I'd imagine many people living in Northern Ireland might say their Nationality is Irish.

That's another option of course. As is, possibly, "Northern Irish", if such a thing exists.

But I'd be interested to hear from the horse's mouth.

Scott.

rivershiven

Postby rivershiven » February 15th, 2019, 8:36 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I'd imagine many people living in Northern Ireland might say their Nationality is Irish.

They certainly do, this is a few years out of date but I doubt there is any significant change.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_ ... rn_Ireland

RS

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » February 15th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Swill, for 'Nationality', I'd write British, and for 'Country of Residence" I'd say Northern Ireland. I'm from Co Armagh, but you'll get all sorts of variations from horses' mouths here!

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 15th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Many, many, years ago, when acting as an Adviser of Studies at a Scottish University, I had to fill in a form for each student that I advised. And one of the required boxes was for the code of the "Country" of the student. One new student told me that his father had Pakistani nationality, however they lived in Saudi Arabia, and that he (the student) had been born in Austria. I decided that I would opt for Austria, so I looked up the appropriate code in a supplied table, and entered it in the box. It was only in the following year, when reviewing the form, I realised that I had chosen the code for Australia - an easy slip in a long list of codes. As far as I am aware, it made no difference. And I suspect that the same may be true of a number of forms. How many of you would answer "Yorkshire"?

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 16th, 2019, 9:51 am

I was horrified to find out recently that my great grandfather was from Yorkshire. Despite that, I won't be putting Yorkshire!

Mel

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 16th, 2019, 1:34 pm

In Northern Ireland, national identity is complex and diverse. The question of national identity[2] was asked in the 2011 census with the three most common identities given being British, Northern Irish and Irish. Most people of Protestant background consider themselves British, while a majority of people of Catholic background consider themselves Irish. This has origins in the 17th century Plantation of Ulster, when mainly-Catholic Ulster was colonized by Protestant settlers from Great Britain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_of ... rn_Ireland

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 16th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Lanark wrote:In Northern Ireland, national identity is complex and diverse. The question of national identity[2] was asked in the 2011 census with the three most common identities given being British, Northern Irish and Irish.

The original question was about nationality and residence. Both those questions have definite answers. The former is British because the UK is the nation. Residence should also be straightforward. Although in both cases you may have more than one nationality and more than one country of residence.

How someone "identifies", however, is very subjective. People can identify any way they want so it's rather meaningless. After all, some men identify as women and some whites identify as black. Or vice versa. But that's not so helpful for official purposes and nobody may agree with how you choose to identify yourself. "Identity" is more a personal and social notion.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 16th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Lootman wrote:
Lanark wrote:In Northern Ireland, national identity is complex and diverse. The question of national identity[2] was asked in the 2011 census with the three most common identities given being British, Northern Irish and Irish.

The original question was about nationality and residence. Both those questions have definite answers. The former is British because the UK is the nation. Residence should also be straightforward. Although in both cases you may have more than one nationality and more than one country of residence.

How someone "identifies", however, is very subjective. People can identify any way they want so it's rather meaningless. After all, some men identify as women and some whites identify as black. Or vice versa. But that's not so helpful for official purposes and nobody may agree with how you choose to identify yourself. "Identity" is more a personal and social notion.

It gets even more complex when you add in 'Resident for tax purposes' and 'Domiciled'. Many people are 'resident' in one country but 'Resident for tax purposes' and 'Domiciled' in another. The official laws usually state something like 180+ days in a country mean you're resident, but I've met people, usually retired, who spend loads of time in various countries, with none of them being more than 180 days. I guess that's where 'domiciled' becomes important.

Steve

PS I never answer any questions about black/white, since I regard making people identify themselves with colours that aren't even their true colour and promoting the idea of a contrast, is actually fuelling racism.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 16th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Lootman wrote:The original question was about nationality and residence. Both those questions have definite answers. The former is British because the UK is the nation. Residence should also be straightforward.

The question was specifically how people from Northern Ireland would answer the questions when asked. My curiosity has been satisfied by the answers given in the thread.

Whether all of the people would answer the questions correctly in a legal sense is another subject.

Scott.

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » February 19th, 2019, 12:59 pm

The United Kingdom is a country. England is not. In some ways Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have more claim to being countries - at least they have their own Parliaments, and in Scotland's case, legal system.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 19th, 2019, 8:18 pm

StepOne wrote:The United Kingdom is a country. England is not. ...

I have this minute completed an EHIC renewal form (the implications of a Deal or no Deal or Whatever acknowledged). I couldn't find a tick box for The United Kingdom. I therefore ticked England. ;)

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » February 20th, 2019, 12:47 am

StepOne wrote:The United Kingdom is a country. England is not. In some ways Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have more claim to being countries - at least they have their own Parliaments, and in Scotland's case, legal system.

England IS a country. Scotland and Wales are also countries. The United Kingdom is a sovereign country that has constituent countries.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 20th, 2019, 9:31 am

PinkDalek wrote:
StepOne wrote:The United Kingdom is a country. England is not. ...

I have this minute completed an EHIC renewal form (the implications of a Deal or no Deal or Whatever acknowledged). I couldn't find a tick box for The United Kingdom. I therefore ticked England. ;)

boring follow up question - sorry :-)

Is that because NHS England is separate from NHS Scotland and NHS Wales and NHCNI??

didds

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » February 20th, 2019, 9:54 am

fisher wrote:
StepOne wrote:The United Kingdom is a country. England is not. In some ways Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have more claim to being countries - at least they have their own Parliaments, and in Scotland's case, legal system.

England IS a country. Scotland and Wales are also countries. The United Kingdom is a sovereign country that has constituent countries.

If England is a country, then where is its administrative body?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 20th, 2019, 10:27 am

StepOne wrote:If England is a country, then where is its administrative body?

Westminster. laws made there affect England.

didds

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”