Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Which country do your booze habits resemble most?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Which country do your booze habits resemble most?

Postby Clitheroekid » December 15th, 2016, 12:44 pm

An interesting quiz from the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30500372

Apparently, my habits best match those of Portugal, though I received the rather depressing message that "You drink more heavily than people from Belarus, the heaviest-drinking country in the world."

So I think a large Highland Park is in order landlord, to help me get over that shocking news. In any event, you owe me one for my racing tip the other day! ;)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Which country do your booze habits resemble most?

Postby redsturgeon » December 15th, 2016, 12:49 pm

I too appear to be Ronaldo's English cousin and drink more than people from the heaviest drinking country in the world!

John

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 15th, 2016, 12:57 pm

France.

Since the only bottled water I drink is Evian.

[Evian is naive spelled backwards only if you're naive. In my opinion, naive - meaning a lack of experience, wisdom or judgement - is typical of those that drink alcohol.]

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 15th, 2016, 1:01 pm

I'm from Equatorial Guinea but why they extrapolate annual consumption based on last week is beyond me. Try asking what I intend to drink over a year and go from there.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 15th, 2016, 2:12 pm

brightncheerful wrote:France. <br abp="609"><br abp="610">In my opinion, naive - meaning a lack of experience, wisdom or judgement - is typical of those that drink alcohol.]

I prefer drinker.

I'm known to partake in the odd beverage on special occasions. It's strange how many special occasions there are.

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » December 15th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Even the Kuwaitis drink more than me . . . .

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 15th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Namibia? Full of my drinking buddies, apparently.

Scott.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 15th, 2016, 2:46 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:An interesting quiz from the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30500372

Apparently, my habits best match those of Portugal, though I received the rather depressing message that "You drink more heavily than people from Belarus, the heaviest-drinking country in the world."

So I think a large Highland Park is in order landlord, to help me get over that shocking news. In any event, you owe me one for my racing tip the other day! ;)

Doesn't make sense, does it?

If Belarus is the most heavily drinking country in the world (and I can believe it is, we host Belarussian children in the summer and most of them have alcoholic parents) and yet you drink like someone from Portugal, then surely Portugal must be the heaviest drinking country in the world?

Logic, no?

Anyway, mine was:

"You drink most like you're from Timor-Leste

and quite unlike people from your home country"

Daft really, I just happen to have only had one glass of wine in the last two weeks, but this is not typical. Though it's rarely more than 3 a week. Never heard of Timor-Leste!

Mel

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 15th, 2016, 3:30 pm

melonfool wrote: Never heard of Timor-Leste!

One of the relatively few Christian parts of Indonesia. Well, it used to be, anyway. It gained independence in 2002 after a pretty horrible quarter century of oppression by the Jakarta regime. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14919009

Neither country drinks a lot - about 0.6 litres of alcohol a year for both - but the Indonesians drink it as beer and the East Timorians prefer it as wine. The Indonesians are currently thinking of enforcing a total nationwide ban on alcohol, which is going to upset the tourist trade a bit. :cry:

BJ

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 15th, 2016, 3:40 pm

melonfool wrote:If Belarus is the most heavily drinking country in the world (and I can believe it is, we host Belarussian children in the summer and most of them have alcoholic parents) and yet you drink like someone from Portugal, then surely Portugal must be the heaviest drinking country in the world?

Logic, no?

It's not expressed very well, but one is done by volume only, and one by type and volume. So you drink like someone from Portugal, the profile and size of what you drink most resembles the average from Portugal*, but in the same overall volume as someone from Timor Leste.

I've only had beer this week, and 4 pints at that, so I match most closely with Vietnam, who don't drink anything else but beer either, and about the same amount as 4 pints. By pure volume, same as Bolivia.

* From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _countries
Portugal is about 31% beer, 55% wine, 11% spirits, and 3% other.
Timor Leste 9% beer, 76% wine, 15% spirits

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 15th, 2016, 3:43 pm

UncleIan wrote:
melonfool wrote:If Belarus is the most heavily drinking country in the world (and I can believe it is, we host Belarussian children in the summer and most of them have alcoholic parents) and yet you drink like someone from Portugal, then surely Portugal must be the heaviest drinking country in the world?

Logic, no?

It's not expressed very well, but one is done by volume only, and one by type and volume. So you drink like someone from Portugal, the profile and size of what you drink most resembles the average from Portugal*, but in the same overall volume as someone from Timor Leste.

Ah, I see!

Mel

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 15th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Apparently I drink like someone from France which is OK by me as we're currently working our way through our rather comprehensive cellar because OH suddenly realised that if we didn't drink it then our wake would probably be very memorable. :lol:

R6

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 15th, 2016, 6:39 pm

I drink like an Icelander, and (shock, horror) quite like a Brit. My quantity makes me a Thai.

I wonder who's decision it was to feature this little exercise at peak party season?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”