Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Just a Minute

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Just a Minute

Postby Clitheroekid » February 26th, 2019, 11:43 pm

All this talk of old age reminded me of a recent discovery. I'm a great fan of Just a Minute on Radio 4, but I was astonished to discover that its presenter, Nicholas Parsons, is 95 years old! :o

Rationally I knew that he must be knocking on, as I remember him presenting Sale of the Century on Anglia TV when I was young, but if you'd asked me I'd probably have put him in his late 70's.

He's a brilliant presenter by any standard, but for someone of that age he's verging on miraculous! It's still, to my mind, one of the best - and possibly the best - panel game on R4, being witty and amusing without the dreary PC'ness that's increasingly affected shows like The Now Show and, sadly (as it used to be great) The News Quiz.

I would love to think that he'd be still entertaining us at 100.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: Just a Minute

Postby nimnarb » February 27th, 2019, 6:19 am

Agreed CK, he was excellent in his day, but 95? My goodness. Loved Just a minute. Haven't heard his name mentioned until now for some considerable time. I seem to recall that his father(possibly) delivered Margaret Thatcher?

http://www.tv.com/people/nicholas-parsons/

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0663880/bio

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » February 27th, 2019, 9:04 am

Not for me - I've listened many times and really tried to enjoy it, but have come to the conclusion that it's one I'm willing to miss. I am aware that it is extremely popular and many people do like it - we all have different tastes.

I do enjoy The News Quiz - Jeremy Hardy will be sorely missed as he really made me chuckle - and also I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. Mark Steel's in Town can also be funny.

Cheers, OLTB.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 27th, 2019, 9:49 am

I think Just a Minute is decades past its sell-by date. I enjoyed it long ago, but it's kind-of lost sight of its original idea, and even makes a travesty of its own rules. Mildly entertaining if one has nothing better to do.

News Quiz can be entertaining, but hasn't been the same since Alan Coren died. Though I won't miss Jeremy Hardy's contribution there: he just seemed to me tediously repetitive and predictable when he "went off on one". Especially under Toksvig, whose chairmanship I found soporific.

Clue can be entertaining: I was somewhat surprised it survived Humph's death. But its greatness is perhaps more in the cultural capital it's spawned, from Mornington Crescent to Mrs Trellis to Hamish and Dougal, and not least Samantha.

Of the programmes mentioned, Mark Steel is one I really try to catch. I think he's genuinely brilliant - as are one or two other R4 entertainers. But that's deviation from the panel show this thread has hitherto been about.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » February 27th, 2019, 9:58 am

I agree that Just a Minute is a gem. Us oldies dont mind being a bit infantile and thats what it is, as is I'm sorry I'll read that again.
It aint half hot Mum the BBC wont repeat because its thought to be racist and homophobic by the PC brigade. It was hilarious with wonderful characterisations. I have just treated myself to a complete box set, two fingers to the PC brigade!

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » February 27th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Another fan of Just a Minute here.

I first came across it when at school in the late 1960s, but didn't realise then that it was a relatively new programme. Nor did I know who Nicholas Parsons was at that time. I think this was before I was aware of him from Sale of the Century. ("From Norwich, it's the Quiz of the Week"!)

Names such as Kenneth Williams, Clement Freud and Derek Nimmo were regulars in those days. I can still hear Williams's nasal contortions as he tried to spin out an obscure subject.

Unlike CK, I did realise how old Nicholas Parsons was, because I Googled it a few years back, thinking he must be getting on as he seemed quite old when he was hosting the TV quiz all those years ago. He just seems indestructible, at least mentally (may be physically too, but being radio, for all I know, they may have to push him in in a wheelchair :) )

Another Radio 4 classic I've rediscovered via the Sounds app is I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again. The sort of programme you can listen to several times and pick up new jokes every time. Absolutely brilliant silliness a la Monty Python or Goodies.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 27th, 2019, 8:54 pm

staffordian wrote:Another Radio 4 classic I've rediscovered via the Sounds app is I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.

And you can also listen to the brilliant Hancock's Half Hour on Radio 4 Extra - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009t2 ... des/player

I must have listened to every episode several times over the years, but they still make me laugh out loud - it's a sort of gentle, self-deprecating humour that seems, sadly, to have died out completely, though I'd be delighted to be proved wrong! ;)

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » February 27th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:And you can also listen to the brilliant Hancock's Half Hour on Radio 4 Extra - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009t2 ... des/player

I must have listened to every episode several times over the years, but they still make me laugh out loud - it's a sort of gentle, self-deprecating humour that seems, sadly, to have died out completely, though I'd be delighted to be proved wrong! ;)

Thanks, another one to catch up on :)

Just realised it was 4 Extra where I found ISIRTA, not the Sounds app, thought on looking again, the episodes are no longer available.

I assume they refresh the catalologue from time to time, rather than having everything available on demand.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » February 27th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Clement Freud and the rest from Just a Minute, some of them were beyond price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g17DL1YJ730
'Clement Freud - The £20 Joke'

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 28th, 2019, 7:14 am

I have just listened to the first episode of the original KMKY Alan Partridge show on R4...1992 would you believe, nearly 30 years ago! It still sounds fresh today.

John

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 28th, 2019, 8:24 am

I quite like the show which I tend to listen to in the car because I am usually driving at the time. I wouldn't tune in especially to listen to it mind you.

Ref CK's amazement that Parsons is 95. Like you, I had not realised he was that old but he is still sharp. I love to see people of that age still actively engaging with the world and being on the money with it. I regularly play music with a small group who are aged 50 to 60. However, one of our group is about to turn 90 and he is a fantastic musician. Yes, he is the one who loses his music, but he plays beautifully and he has a wicked sense of humour. He has just moved house to be nearer his girlfriend. In fact, it may even be that they have moved in together. I'm not sure and feel it is rude to ask. Having said that, he did once tell me how and where he lost his virginity, so he would probably be quite happy to answer :lol:

I sometimes play with others of that age and I look at them and think - I so want to be like you when I am 90!

P.S. apologies if any nonagenarians here feel that I am being patronising. Not intended.

C

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » February 28th, 2019, 9:13 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I must have listened to every episode several times over the years, but they still make me laugh out loud - it's a sort of gentle, self-deprecating humour that seems, sadly, to have died out completely, though I'd be delighted to be proved wrong! ;)

On telly but...I thought of The Detectorists immediately.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 28th, 2019, 11:34 am

UncleIan wrote:On telly but...I thought of The Detectorists immediately.

Yes, I'll give you that - a truly brilliant series, for me probably the best `sitcom' (though I hate to use the word in relation to such a sublime programme) in the last 10 years.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”