Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

It's good to Talk Talk

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: It's good to Talk Talk

Postby stevensfo » March 13th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Why, oh why do people lose so much time phoning and getting stressed about things they shouldn't.

Send a registered letter, telling them that if....blabla....cancel contract and go to North Korean Telecom or whatever.

Then they try and call you!

Steve

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » March 13th, 2019, 6:06 pm

A bit like the "hotel California" you can book out any time you like but you can never leave.
Their sales team conned my mother in law 80+ to signing up to a tv service that she neither wanted or needed.
I eventually found the CEO's personal internal email and got it sorted.
Odious company.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » March 13th, 2019, 8:22 pm

I decided some time ago I'll never do business over the phone.
We still get cold calls - I've considered ditching the landline but mobile reception here is p1$$ poor.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 14th, 2019, 9:56 am

Coincidentally, I tried last Monday to get the broadband part of my wife's TalkTalk phone 'n web package cancelled, because the broadband speed is crap compared with my BT account, so we don't use it any more.

Surprise, surprise, the online portal gave no clue as to how this could be achieved. You can trade up all right, but there's no facility for trading down. Unless, that is, you call them on TalkTalk's 0345 number and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait.....

After an hour on hold, with the same jangly 20-second snatch of electronic muzak slowly trying to re-programme my brain, I decided that TalkTalk weren't any better at talk than they are at data. Fortunately, though, somewhere among the sub-menus, there's a postal address that you can write to if you want to cancel. That's what I've done.

But here's the catch. They won't let you cancel your account until they've phoned you back so that they can have one last crack at bullying you into staying with the faithful. It's like the bloody scientologists. It's no way to run a business.

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 14th, 2019, 10:14 am

bungeejumper wrote: Fortunately, though, somewhere among the sub-menus, there's a postal address that you can write to if you want to cancel. That's what I've done.

But here's the catch. They won't let you cancel your account until they've phoned you back so that they can have one last crack at bullying you into staying with the faithful. It's like the bloody scientologists. It's no way to run a business.

BJ

Yes, that's why it's so important to write an official letter making it clear that the contract IS cancelled. I've never heard of a clause in the contract about requiring a telephone call to confirm. I can't see how that sort of thing would hold up in court if the cancellation has been put in writing.

When I did this with Sky, they must have tried to phone me twice a day for the next few weeks, but I never answered. After a while they stopped trying.

Steve

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » March 14th, 2019, 10:16 am

bungeejumper wrote:Surprise, surprise, the online portal gave no clue as to how this could be achieved. You can trade up all right, but there's no facility for trading down. Unless, that is, you call them on TalkTalk's 0345 number and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait.....

I had the same situation with SKY last week. Can't cancel online . . . got to call this number . . . blah blah blah.

When I eventually managed to speak to the right person, he was intelligent enough to know not to pester me to stay/downgrade etc as I wanted both broadband and landline cancelled and not replaced with anything as the property is vacant. Managed to get it done in about 10 minutes when that was made clear having spent an hour previously faffing about with various different people.

I expect it to be a proper ball ache to get things switched on again with a provider six months down the line but i'll worry about that more at that time.

HYD

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”