Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Something fishy

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Something fishy

Postby brightncheerful » March 18th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Whilst checking a prospective client's credentials, I discover that its latest accounts are 'Filleted.'

I was just about to post as a joke when I thought I'd best check in case I'd be showing my ignorance.

Legit description. According to an accountancy website: "small or micro companies have the option not to include the profit and loss account … and/or the directors’ report, with the accounts filed with Companies House."

Having yesterday read on Wolf Street about how "Steinhoff Committed $7.4 Billion in Fraud (at least). Here’s How" - https://wolfstreet.com/2019/03/16/how-steinhoff-committed-7-4-billion-in-fraud - I can't help thinking a less obvious description for the activities of a small company might be better in the long run?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Something fishy

Postby Slarti » March 18th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Not that long ago I did due diligence on a prospective new client as they only had the minimum small company accounts at CoHo. So I asked for their full accounts for the last 3 years, before giving them a credit account. It was a total shell company without even a bank account, based at some very expensive offices in the city.

I passed on that one.

Slarti

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”