Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Simon Armitage - the next Poet Laureate

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Simon Armitage - the next Poet Laureate

Postby Itsallaguess » May 11th, 2019, 9:22 am

Poet Simon Armitage, whose "witty and profound" work spans sharp observations about modern life and classical myths, is to be the UK's next Poet Laureate.

The West Yorkshire writer will hold the historic post for the next decade, taking over from Dame Carol Ann Duffy.

Over recent decades, the role has moved away from mainly chronicling royal occasions to promoting poetry and capturing a wider view of British life.

Armitage has published 28 collections and is on the national curriculum.

His 2017 book The Unaccompanied was described by The Guardian as a document of "a world in social and economic meltdown".

It opens with a poem about climate change called The Last Snowman, and includes another titled Poundland, about "the Disney design calendar and diary set, three cans of Vimto/cornucopia of potato-based snacks and balm for a sweet tooth".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48228837

Some poems touch me, many poems don't, but Simon Armitage has a way of looking at the world in a way that resonates, and allows him to tell whole stories about contemporary life in just a short number of lines....

A few of his best bits were covered in this article, and it gives a good insight into his craft -

Since his debut collection, Zoom!, appeared in 1989 when he was still in his mid-twenties, Simon Armitage has become one of the most feted, read, and studied contemporary English poets. His work combines wry colloquialism and humour with frequent poignancy, treating such perennial subjects as death, violence, and lost love with directness and wit. Below we’ve chosen ten of Simon Armitage’s best poems, though of course, any list is bound to be subjective to an extent.

https://interestingliterature.com/2017/02/27/10-of-the-best-simon-armitage-poems-everyone-should-read/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Simon Armitage - the next Poet Laureate

Postby stevensfo » May 11th, 2019, 10:12 am

Not just a poet either. According to friends in Oxford, his translation of 'Gawain and the Green Knight' is the standard text they use these days, rather than Tolkien's. It's certainly more readable. Although it's supposed to be serious, the first few pages always make me laugh and it would be perfect for a Monty Python type spoof.

Thanks for the links to his poetry. Another I really like is Billy Collins, ever since hearing him read 'The Dead' on the radio.

https://walkingthefenceline.wordpress.c ... y-collins/

Steve

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 11th, 2019, 10:34 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Over recent decades, the role has moved away from mainly chronicling royal occasions to promoting poetry and capturing a wider view of British life.
Itsallaguess

I wonder about that.

Andrew Motion was a brilliant ambassador for poetry, media-friendly and came across really well on radio. But that's basically it: Carol-Ann Duffy's voice was one to switch off, and from his brief appearance yesterday I don't think Armitage comes across very well either.

I was rather hoping they'd appoint someone who was actually a pleasure to listen to!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 20th, 2019, 11:15 am

Some commentary from Private Eye

They suggest that favourite (of Prince Charles and the Establishment) Imtiaz Dharker may have turned it down. I don't know how good an ambassador she might have made, though I think I've enjoyed the rare occasions I've heard her reading it (on t'wireless).

They also tell of his first interview as Laureate, with the BBC's Will Gompertz, where all that mattered was of course to push Armitage into apologising for being white, male, and middle-aged.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”