Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

'World's oldest brewery' found in cave in Israel, say researchers

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

'World's oldest brewery' found in cave in Israel, say researchers

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 6th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Search facility didn't indicate this has been posted before

Researchers say they have found the world's oldest brewery, with residue of 13,000-year-old beer, in a prehistoric cave near Haifa in Israel.

Beer must be older than that

AiY

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: 'World's oldest brewery' found in cave in Israel, say researchers

Postby swill453 » June 6th, 2019, 7:55 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Search facility didn't indicate this has been posted before

Researchers say they have found the world's oldest brewery, with residue of 13,000-year-old beer, in a prehistoric cave near Haifa in Israel.

Beer must be older than that

It probably is, but the statement doesn't contradict that. Unless you know of an older brewery, of course.

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 6th, 2019, 11:44 pm

So are you proposing to organise a Foolish social there? Or might that be too challenging? :mrgreen:

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 7th, 2019, 9:43 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:So are you proposing to organise a Foolish social there? Or might that be too challenging? :mrgreen:

Probably only slightly more challenging than organising one in central London :(

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 7th, 2019, 10:23 am

Asahi have probably already made an offer to buy and rebrand it as Fullers (Israel)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 7th, 2019, 10:32 am

More likely Greene King - who have now shut the brewery in Israel and brew at Bury St Edmunds, but still sell under the original brand name and claim it's absolutely authentic

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 7th, 2019, 11:11 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Probably only slightly more challenging than organising one in central London :(

So where could you organise a pissup in a brewery?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 7th, 2019, 11:15 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Probably only slightly more challenging than organising one in central London :(

Stealth Brewery, Melksham, Wiltshire

Give me the nod!

didds

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 7th, 2019, 11:28 am

That would be quite handy for some eminent posters on this board (mentioning no names of course)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 7th, 2019, 11:53 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

The pub next door to Fullers in Chiswick. Dark Star have a do in September, which csearle and I have been to.

TJH

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 7th, 2019, 11:57 am

Spring , erm ...Summer social first !

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 7th, 2019, 12:52 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:That would be quite handy for some eminent posters on this board (mentioning no names of course)

And Box Steam Brewery is just a couple of miles down the road. (And three miles away from me.) Had quite a nice pint of Piston Broke the other week. Mind you, I wouldn't know how well it travels. :lol:

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 7th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Aha, Box Steam Brewery is apparently nowhere near Box (I looked it up as it was a new one for me)

Here's a song;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es_TmuASzyU

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » June 7th, 2019, 1:50 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Many, many years ago I worked for a large company, my girlfriend at the time also worked for the same company. As is the case with many large offices there was a good social scene and my girlfriend was a member of the social committee which organised outings etc.

There was a small brewery situated near a tiny hamlet several miles outside the city that had a very good range of beers. Someone came up with the idea of a tour of the brewery and my girlfriend was chosen to organise the trip. She organised a time and date with the brewery, efficiently organised a coach and all was set for an enjoyable evening. Unfortunately I was otherwise engaged that night so couldn't go.

The big night arrived, it was winter, the weather was awful but everyone turned up, got on the coach and off they went. When booking the coach my girlfriend had explained where she wanted to go, the coach company had quoted on a trip to the hamlet and a price was agreed. Girlfriend assumed the coach company would know how to get to the brewery, the coach company assumed she would know. This only became apparent when the coach arrived at the hamlet and the driver asked "Right where is it?"

She didn't know, he didn't know and neither did any of the other 40 or so people on the coach. They drove down this country lane and that country lane, took this turning and that, nothing. Due to the weather there was no one around to ask. Eventually the driver had had enough and drove them back to the city.

Not only couldn't my girlfriend effectively organise a piss up in a brewery, she couldn't find the brewery.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 7th, 2019, 1:54 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:That would be quite handy for some eminent posters on this board (mentioning no names of course)

And Box Steam Brewery is just a couple of miles down the road. (And three miles away from me.) Had quite a nice pint of Piston Broke the other week. Mind you, I wouldn't know how well it travels. :lol:

BJ

Lots of bottled beers from them around here. Some good stuff. Sadly not so many at Lidl prices as there were up to sometime last year.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 7th, 2019, 1:55 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Aha, Box Steam Brewery is apparently nowhere near Box (I looked it up as it was a new one for me)

Sort of true, it used to be 11 whole miles away at Colerne, a couple of miles away from Box. Turn left at the steam engine in the village, down Mill Lane, past Peter Gabriel's recording studio, mind the cowsheds, up the hill and you couldn't miss it. :) But fame eventually forced the brewery to move out of its boring old industrial estate unit to a bigger boring old industrial estate unit at Holt.

They make a rather nice porter called Funnel Blower, if that's ever your thing. Now and then, I find it goes down a treat. To my eternal shame I haven't tried the Stealth brewery yet. My Camra friends all laugh at me for that.

BJ

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » June 7th, 2019, 1:58 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote: To my eternal shame I haven't tried the Stealth brewery yet. My Camra friends all laugh at me for that.

BJ

Presumably its been off your radar.

DM

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 7th, 2019, 2:48 pm

bungeejumper wrote:They make a rather nice porter called Funnel Blower, if that's ever your thing. Now and then, I find it goes down a treat. To my eternal shame I haven't tried the Stealth brewery yet. My Camra friends all laugh at me for that.

BJ

Yup - FB is a very nice drop, though I do find many of their other beers a tad bland.

Stealth brewery beer is always available at the newly opened "Hiding Place" in Melksham High Street, not far from Iceland. (And also in "The Vaults" near the town hall in Devizes)

And the brewery will sell you as little as 5L in a bag in box for home drinking. No bottles or cans - yet.

didds

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”