Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Uber Eats

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Uber Eats

Postby Howyoudoin » June 14th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Got handed a flyer this morning for the above company with a £10 discount on first order, so thought it was worth a look.

Downloaded the app and ordered 2 x fish and chips from a shop which I can almost see from my living room window. Convenience is the key here though. I keep telling myself.

After adding the items to my 'basket' and going to checkout, I was asked if I wanted to leave the courier a tip. Good idea I thought. Saves me rummaging around for a couple of quid to give him when he turns up. Scroll to bottom and . . . .

Medium Cod and Chips £9.99

Medium Cod and Chips £9.99

Portion of Mushy Peas £2.50

Courier Tip £2.00

Delivery £3.50

Total Charge £27.48

Erm, wait . . . what? Delivery charge? Why would I pay a delivery charge AND tip the courier?

Even with a '£10 off first order' offer code, the delivery/courier charge annoyed me, so I cancelled the order and deleted the app. For the sake of waiting 10 mins, I can just cross the road and go to the shop itself.

HYD

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Uber Eats

Postby bungeejumper » June 14th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:After adding the items to my 'basket' and going to checkout, I was asked if I wanted to leave the courier a tip. Good idea I thought. Saves me rummaging around for a couple of quid to give him when he turns up. Scroll

Let me get this straight. You're being asked to give the delivery guy a tip before he's even begun performing the service? What if he screws up, is heartily unpleasant, brings you cold food or produces coley instead of cod, and/or hands your food to somebody else and goes home?

I'll hazard a guess that the delivery charge is actually only a part of Uber Eats's commission. (The FT says that Uber charges the food outlets 30% of the value of the order, down from 35% previously.) Mind you, we don't have takeaways or home deliveries in this neck of the rural woods, so I can't speak with any experience of this sort of transaction.

But for the combined £5.50 price of your delivery and tip I'd be two thirds of the way toward a steak and chips at my local pub. Where they don't really have a mechanism for tipping at all....

[Edit:] Hope this sorts it out. Enjoy. https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/19/1827 ... on-meaning

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 14th, 2019, 2:45 pm

They might even ruin your food
Read these shocking story from a local rag..
https://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news/17 ... ef=mr&lp=7
AN angered woman who ordered her favourite meal from a popular takeaway app was hugely disappointed when her food arrived in a mess.
The resident from Bracknell ordered a McDonald's meal from Uber Eats and when it arrived, her Big Mac ended up on the floor as the bag had ripped from the drinks.
The angered women contacted Uber Eats to find out why her order was ruined.
Uber Eats replied to her, which said: "We truly appreciate you reaching out. We must kindly advise that we are unable to offer external compensation in such cases."
After working all day with food the woman ordered a takeaway to save her from cooking but instead, she had to settle with tea and biscuits.

Poor twice-angered petal, settling 'with' her tea and biscuits, with only enough energy left to take a photo of her food and phone the Bracknell News...
(Any company that uses the phrase 'reaching out' deserves nothing but contempt)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:The angered women contacted Uber Eats to find out why her order was ruined.
Uber Eats replied to her, which said: "We truly appreciate you reaching out. We must kindly advise that we are unable to offer external compensation in such cases."

Poor twice-angered petal, settling 'with' her tea and biscuits, with only enough energy left to take a photo of her food and phone the Bracknell News...

Surely the company hasn't got a leg to stand on? If the food was okay when it entered their hands, and wasn't by the time it left them to be handed over to the customer?

Phoning the local rag is the very least she's entitled to do. If it had been me I'd have started a hashtag on Twatface and really made their PR people suffer. Er, if I knew what a hashtag was, of course. :roll:

BJ

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 14th, 2019, 3:38 pm

The phrase is old hat…

Dionne Warwick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3tIlHOQemU

and Four Tops: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd6XkaKmqMM

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 14th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Got handed a flyer this morning for the above company with a £10 discount on first order, so thought it was worth a look.
HYD
Total Charge £27.48

While you're in the market for wasting money, might be worth having a look at Deliveroo:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.deliveroo.co.uk

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 14th, 2019, 3:54 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
While you're in the market for wasting money, might be worth having a look at Deliveroo:

Don’t you just lurve the Caty S review. Managed to give a 5* rating. Dohhh ...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 14th, 2019, 4:00 pm

I use the local independent (husband-and-wife) delivery service
Sam n'Ella-2U.com
Rapid results.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 14th, 2019, 5:16 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Got handed a flyer this morning for the above company with a £10 discount on first order, so thought it was worth a look.
HYD
Total Charge £27.48

Round here, where we've got quiet a lot of takeaways, the ones with Deliveroo and Just Eat signs outside are the ones you wouldn't want to use because of either quality of the food, or low Hygiene "scores on the doors"

Just saying.
Slarti

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 14th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Around here we haven't got any delivery services :cry: However, after reading this thread I'm very glad we haven't.

R6

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 14th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Medium Cod and Chips £9.99
waiting 10 mins, I can just cross the road and go to the shop itself.

HYD

And if you do that is medium cod and chips still £9.99? That seems blinking expensive - my local chippy of choice would charge £5.70 for that and we don't live up north where everything is allegedly so much cheaper than darn ear in ve sarf.

as for waiting ten minutes do they not take phone orders then just stroll down and collect in due course?

didds

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 14th, 2019, 9:53 pm

didds wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Medium Cod and Chips £9.99
waiting 10 mins, I can just cross the road and go to the shop itself.

HYD

And if you do that is medium cod and chips still £9.99? That seems blinking expensive - my local chippy of choice would charge £5.70 for that and we don't live up north where everything is allegedly so much cheaper than darn ear in ve sarf.

as for waiting ten minutes do they not take phone orders then just stroll down and collect in due course?

didds

Ha, the thought didn’t even occur to me. But looking at the menu, you’re right.

https://churchillsfishandchips.co.uk/wp ... 9-back.pdf

Medium cod and chips is £7.85 in store. So a mark up of 27%.

Unbelievable.

HYD

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » June 15th, 2019, 9:49 am

PinkDalek wrote:
brightncheerful wrote:

Don’t you just lurve the Caty S review. Managed to give a 5* rating. Dohhh ...

1. Love the personalised reply each time from Deliveroo, only the person's name changing.

2. Does anyone else think that the Deliveroo logo looks like someone sticking two fingers up in the air? It would explain a lot. Staff trained directly by the Michael O'Leary Customer Service Training College by the sounds of it. Reminds me of another short-lived service
ImageImage

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”