Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Banks

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
didds
Lemon Half

Re: Banks

Postby didds » June 18th, 2019, 2:35 pm

GoSeigen wrote:Why do people put themselves through the agony of a branch visit I wonder?

i didn't know you could pay a cheque in on your mobile -phone! Who knew (well, GS obviously!).

Not everybody of course has recourse to a mobile -phone...

didds

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 18th, 2019, 2:47 pm

didds wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Why do people put themselves through the agony of a branch visit I wonder?

I didn't know you could pay a cheque in on your mobile -phone! Who knew (well, GS obviously!).

I've seen people photographing a cheque with their phone and then sending it to their bank. I had always assumed that you still had to physically deposit the cheque as well but that this way you get the credit for it sooner.

But even this old dinosaur rarely sees cheques much these days. I've written two this year so far - both to the tax man. Last year I wrote a cheque to one of my children and he looked at me like I was from another planet. He still accepted it though, of course.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 18th, 2019, 2:54 pm

didds wrote:

i didn't know you could pay a cheque in on your mobile -phone! Who knew (well, GS obviously!).

didds

I have my HSBC gripes too, but HSBC is big and diverse enough that there are work-arounds for most things. One problem I'm mulling over is what to do with US$5,000 of banknotes in my possession. Annoyingly I cannot deposit them in my HSBC USD account. Anyone know a bank or business that accepts USD deposits, preferably free of charge?

GS

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » June 18th, 2019, 3:17 pm

didds wrote:

didds

I had no idea you could pay a cheque in via your mobile phone! I will try this tonight as I have one I need to pay in - I bank with Halifax that has no local branches where I work, which is a real pain on occasions such as this.

Not any more though hopefully!

Cheers, OLTB.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 18th, 2019, 4:33 pm

OLTB wrote:
I had no idea you could pay a cheque in via your mobile phone! I will try this tonight as I have one I need to pay in - I bank with Halifax that has no local branches where I work, which is a real pain on occasions such as this.

Cheers, OLTB.

Ah, now I don't know if Lloyds/Halifax have implemented this yet on their systems; with HSBC I was sure because I'd used it myself... the nice thing is the cheque clears same day, so much better than the old system.

GS

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 18th, 2019, 4:38 pm

but apparently not with a First Direct Account. So theer's one reason why people still visit banks!

didds

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 18th, 2019, 4:51 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
OLTB wrote:

Cheers, OLTB.

Ah, now I don't know if Lloyds/Halifax have implemented this yet on their systems; with HSBC I was sure because I'd used it myself... the nice thing is the cheque clears same day, so much better than the old system.

GS

I have done it a couple of times using the Lloyds app. Not possible with Barclays, but I can pay cheques in at our local sub post office. No queue, friendly service and minimal paperwork. Just enclose your paying in slip and the cheque in a preprinted envelope, write your account number and sort code on the front and it is done. They will give you a supply of envelopes if you are going to make a habit of it.

TJH

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 18th, 2019, 5:16 pm

As it happens I had to pay in a cheque today and as I was in town anyway I paid it in at an HSBC branch via one of their machines (which is all they have except for one business teller counter) First time I have visited this year and simple straightforward and no hitches. In and out in about three minutes. Otherwise I do all my banking (most of it is automated anyway) via the internet with no problems.

I issue cheques to the grandchildren for birthdays and at Christmas but that is it.

Dod

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 18th, 2019, 6:23 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I have done it a couple of times using the Lloyds app. Not possible with Barclays ...

I think it is now:

https://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank ... f-cheques/

Pay in a cheque using your Barclays Mobile Banking app – the money is typically available by 23:59 the next weekday if you pay the cheque in by 15:59 the weekday before ... Barclays Mobile Banking next weekday cheque imaging clearing (available now) ... If you pay in a cheque using Barclays Mobile Banking, you’ll see the payment on your account almost instantly. But the money won’t be available until it’s cleared and appears in your available balance, which will happen by 23:59 the next weekday (Monday to Friday except bank holidays) when you pay in the cheque before 16:00 the weekday before.

Not that I've used it as I enjoy going to the branch and using the machinery, then popping in to the pub to watch the Cricket World Cup. I suppose I could ditch the banking part of the journey. :)

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 18th, 2019, 8:31 pm

We have gone a little off topic - but can I now assume that not one of you have found banks an integral part of the success of your business?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 18th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Leothebear wrote:We have gone a little off topic - but can I now assume that not one of you have found banks an integral part of the success of your business?

I think that the banks are trying hard to destroy success. When we were running stage carriage services, before the advent of free concessionary travel, I and my fellow colleagues each had a paying in book for the organisation's bank account and paid out takings into the HSBC branch where we kept our account. Now HSBC, Barclays, NatWest and Lloyds have all closed, leaving Nationwide (who do not like receiving coins) and the Post Office as the only options for paying in cash. This is no doubt why companies are encouraging contactless payment or the use of smart cards.

TJH

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 19th, 2019, 9:42 am

Leothebear wrote:We have gone a little off topic - but can I now assume that not one of you have found banks an integral part of the success of your business?

I think the situation was best summed up by a creditor, when I was working for a company that was rapidly going down the drain
"Banks give you an umbrella and take it away when it rains!"

When I was first starting in business by myself they insisted on giving me some advice, non of which was relevant to my circumstances. So no, not integral, other than as a place to receive and make payments.

Slarti

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 19th, 2019, 10:40 am

tjh290633 wrote:

I think that the banks are trying hard to destroy success. When we were running stage carriage services, before the advent of free concessionary travel, I and my fellow colleagues each had a paying in book for the organisation's bank account and paid out takings into the HSBC branch where we kept our account. Now HSBC, Barclays, NatWest and Lloyds have all closed, leaving Nationwide (who do not like receiving coins) and the Post Office as the only options for paying in cash. This is no doubt why companies are encouraging contactless payment or the use of smart cards.

TJH

Actually it was only recently, thanks to someone at TLF, that I realised that I 'could' pay cash into my account via the PO. It's made the process a lot easier. The queues are shorter, there's a PO in every town and I get to browse for books and magazines. Altogether a nicer experience than having to enter places that remind me of the Borg Mother ship.

Steve

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 19th, 2019, 11:33 am

stevensfo wrote:... there's a PO in every town ...

Steve

this doesn't dismiss Steve's point, but in some towns now the post office is now somewhere located within a supermarket. And village post offices are a dwindling breed, which in more rural areas creates its own issues.

didds

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » June 19th, 2019, 11:39 am

It's not just in towns where the PO is in a shop, in York the main PO is now at the back of WH Smith.

Rob

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”