Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to mark88man,stirlo,johnstevens77,Rhyd6,87investor, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby vrdiver » September 15th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Snorvey wrote:Kiruna isn't in the UK though. Which is kinda the point.

But will Scotland still be in the UK in a few years?

(oooh!)

VRD

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 15th, 2020, 4:09 pm

vrdiver wrote:
Snorvey wrote:Kiruna isn't in the UK though. Which is kinda the point.

But will Scotland still be in the UK in a few years?

(oooh!)

VRD

I expect so. If not, we'll keep the rocket launch pad and the missile submarines.

Shoon, the world will tremble to the shound of our rocketsh.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 17th, 2020, 9:09 am

Why are lawyers always buried 20 feet underground?

Because deep down, they are really nice people.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 17th, 2020, 1:57 pm

There's a discussion go on over on PD at the moment (something about the UK acting like pirates on the high seas or something)

Anyway, it's turned into a massive quotefest. Every response is backed up by a huge quoted (supposed) extract from the Hong Kong Book of Kung Fu in order to justify themselves.

I guess it's in response to the ***** that only reply with 'evidence please' who then go on to ignore the evidence and press ahead with their own point of view.

Quite entertaining. And on the upside I now have a concise knowledge of EU law - whether I want to or not.

The downside is, it has deleted useful information from my brain. Like when the chippy shuts. Or who Lossie's next game is against.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » September 18th, 2020, 8:04 am

.......... with a good measure of wow stirred in.

Today it is 50 years since Jimi Hendrix tragically died. WTF did a half century time span evapoate away to? I can only assume that I must have blinked on several occasions.
People who were around when Kennedy stopped a bullet are supposedly able to remember where they were when they heard the news. I have no idea where I was.
I do, however, remember exactly where I was when I heard of Hendrix's unfortunate death. :cry:

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter

Postby mc2fool » September 18th, 2020, 8:16 am

panamagold wrote:People who were around when Kennedy stopped a bullet are supposedly able to remember where they were when they heard the news.

Sitting in front of the television in the living room watching a trailer for a new programme starting the next day called Dr Who, which was interrupted by the news flash, and after it running into the kitchen to tell my mum that President Kennedy had been assassinated, a new word to me at the time. :)

swill453
Lemon Quarter

Postby swill453 » September 24th, 2020, 10:13 am

First real frost of the season this morning in central Scotland. Would have had to scrape the car windows if I'd needed to be away early.

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 24th, 2020, 10:23 am

swill453 wrote:First real frost of the season this morning in central Scotland. Would have had to scrape the car windows if I'd needed to be away early.

Scott.

Yes - the heater on full blast in the car this morning (at the gentlemanly hour of 9:30am)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 24th, 2020, 11:09 am

swill453 wrote:First real frost of the season this morning in central Scotland. Would have had to scrape the car windows if I'd needed to be away early.

Scott.

But not really enough frost to make you go ooooh so off-topic for this thread :lol:

--kiloran

swill453
Lemon Quarter

Postby swill453 » September 24th, 2020, 11:13 am

kiloran wrote:

But not really enough frost to make you go ooooh so off-topic for this thread :lol:

My wife did.

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm

kiloran wrote:

Scott.

--kiloran

Minus 5 at Altnaharra
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-54278543

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » September 24th, 2020, 8:35 pm

La La La La, can we stop all the talk about frost please. My runner beans are cropping magnificently for the first time this year. The last thing I need is a frost.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 24th, 2020, 11:39 pm

sg31 wrote:La La La La, can we stop all the talk about frost please. My runner beans are cropping magnificently for the first time this year. The last thing I need is a frost.

Delicious, and back on-topic for the thread title ;) . Though isn't it a little late in the season for them?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 25th, 2020, 8:54 am

My tomatoes are still green. I'm getting concerned. Perhaps they will end up as chutney

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » September 25th, 2020, 10:52 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
sg31 wrote:La La La La, can we stop all the talk about frost please. My runner beans are cropping magnificently for the first time this year. The last thing I need is a frost.

Delicious, and back on-topic for the thread title ;) . Though isn't it a little late in the season for them?

Not at all. I usually have them cropping until the first frost in November, One year I was still getting a few beans well into December but that was an exception. Last night I collected a carrier bag full. The neighbours get any surplus.

The secret is to sow twice. The first lot go outside in late May or early June, the second in mid July . The first start to slow up production about now but the second are now in full flow. The second sowing is what extends the season.

Each sowing consists of 22 plants, I should sow less really but there are a lot of elderly people who appreciate them.

* it can be difficult to get the second sowing to germinate, in a hot spell it is possible only 20% will germinate outside. I have resorted to sowing them in my garage where it is generally a bit cooler.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 25th, 2020, 11:00 am

Had a pop at Ben Rinnes last Friday in glorious weather - this time though, via the notorious and rarely climbed North Ridge (that's not actually its name - I just made that up). The route is anti clockwise on the map.

About 13 miles in total, including the ascent. Had my lunch at the granite tors at Scurran of Mornish.

A gallon of tea, a sandwich like a doorstep and get those boots off and relax in the sun. I didn't want to leave

.....and the Everest total grows ever closer.

https://www.morayways.org.uk/routes/ben-rinnes/

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Postby bungeejumper » September 25th, 2020, 11:07 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:My tomatoes are still green. I'm getting concerned. Perhaps they will end up as chutney

As advised elsewhere, lay them out on a tray with a banana skin and they'll ripen up pretty fast. A brown paper bag is nearly as good, but harder to get hold of these days.

My outdoor tomatoes finally succumbed to blight a couple of weeks ago, but my greenhouse toms are still good. And my chillis have all turned red on my windowsill, and they're now drying nicely for storage.

I was somewhat surprised the other day to see half a dozen late swallows- the rest of ours headed off for South Africa ten days ago. Then again, maybe they were Scottish birds that had been waiting for a following wind? One thing's for sure, they've got that now. :|

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 25th, 2020, 11:10 am

One has turned pale orange, but looks a bit poorly. Perhaps they all need to go in a brown paper bag with a banana (belt and braces approach)

Fair bit of sun today in the glorious Kennnet Valley, but rather blustery

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 25th, 2020, 11:16 am

Snorvey wrote:Had a pop at Ben Rinnes last Friday in glorious weather - this time though, via the notorious and rarely climbed North Ridge (that's not actually its name - I just made that up). The route is anti clockwise on the map.

About 13 miles in total, including the ascent. Had my lunch at the granite tors at Scurran of Mornish.

A gallon of tea, a sandwich like a doorstep and get those boots off and relax in the sun. I didn't want to leave

.....and the Everest total grows ever closer.

Looks like Shropshire from the Stiperstones/Long Mynd - I'm jealous, and homesick.
There are NO hills in Berkshire worthy of the name. In fact the whole South East is disappointingly flat

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Postby bungeejumper » September 25th, 2020, 11:24 am

Snorvey wrote:Had a pop at Ben Rinnes last Friday in glorious weather - this time though, via the notorious and rarely climbed North Ridge (that's not actually its name - I just made that up). The route is anti clockwise on the map.

Nice one, sir, I salute your resilience. 1,797 feet? Not suitable for buggies and wheelchairs indeed. Jeez, it's been a while since I did one of those, in France.

Liked the linked reference to the misnamed Baby's Hill. (Spoiler: a suicide called Barbara, who couldn't be buried on church ground.) Around these parts, they used to bury such poor folk at a crossroads, because nobody could know whether they were headed for hell or not, and it was thought best to let them choose their own route. :|

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”