Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby bungeejumper » September 14th, 2020, 8:40 am

Snorvey wrote:I couldn't bring myself to watch Attenborough's 'Extinction' tonight and turned over after a few minutes.

We're killing everything. It's so sad.

Me neither. I took one look and thought, I can't handle this right now. Not with Trump and Boris and Covid-19 and the UK breaking international law, and the economy going down the pan, and all at the same time. And when I turned it on there was some shouty twelve year old telling us adults that it was all our fault, and she wasn't even the usual cabbage patch kid.

I'll give the programme another go in a month's time, honestly I will. I'm going to need a stiff drink first, though.

BJ

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 14th, 2020, 10:34 am

Definitely an oooh when I read the notes in the self-catering accommodation in which we stayed last week on Mull.
The notes reminded us that if we displayed Covid-19 symptoms, it was government policy that we should return home immediately. However it was Calmac policy that no persons with Covid-19 symptoms were allowed to travel on their ferries between Mull and the mainland. A nice catch 22.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 14th, 2020, 10:59 am

Snorvey wrote:Tony Blair criticising the UK Government for breaking international law......

Snorvey bringing in politics (albeit the kind of comment we'd all already thought privately).

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 14th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Snorvey wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
Snorvey wrote:Tony Blair criticising the UK Government for breaking international law......

Snorvey bringing in politics (albeit the kind of comment we'd all already thought privately).

More a criticism of the man rather than his politics.

Indeedie. I will routinely point to hypocrisy in our politicians, even when (as with Blair in this instance) they're saying something that's entirely right. For example, a recent rant on the double-standards of our government attacking China over Hong Kong while locking people up for trivia here.

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » September 14th, 2020, 4:09 pm

servodude wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:There's a very good reason space pads tend to be situated near the equator. Putting one in Scotland would seem to suggest politics trumps science yet again!

The only reason I can think of is the amount of fuel to get it into orbit.

... .but that doesn't matter because our satellites will go around the up and down way, not the across way.

Those ones are sh*te!

I had to use the Orbcomm LEO cluster for a telemetry project once getting data from the rear end of NZ.
- if you got the info on to satellite heading the wrong direction you wouldn't know until it had reached Alaska a few hours later (the other way took a few minutes to see a station in Australia)
- data plan was only $2.50 a month and $22 per KByte of data (which was about 10p per character at the time)

- sd

If you launch near the equator you save fuel (or increase payload) for equatorial and low inclination orbits .

If you launch closer to the poles then you save fuel (or increase payload) for polar, sun-synchronous and other high inclination orbits. Scottish launches could be useful for some satellite operators

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 15th, 2020, 1:07 am

sunnyjoe wrote:If you launch closer to the poles then you save fuel (or increase payload) for polar, sun-synchronous and other high inclination orbits. Scottish launches could be useful for some satellite operators

If Scotland works wouldn't Kiruna work better?
My old flat mate moved there to work with the sat' controllers in mid 90's. I think they stopped launching about a decade later.

-sd

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » September 15th, 2020, 2:04 pm

servodude wrote:
sunnyjoe wrote:If you launch closer to the poles then you save fuel (or increase payload) for polar, sun-synchronous and other high inclination orbits. Scottish launches could be useful for some satellite operators

If Scotland works wouldn't Kiruna work better?
My old flat mate moved there to work with the sat' controllers in mid 90's. I think they stopped launching about a decade later.

-sd

Yes Kiruna should be better than Sutherland for such orbits.

The Sutherland spaceport, also known as Space Hub Sutherland or UKVL Sutherland, is a planned to be the first spaceport of the United Kingdom. It would be operated by a commercial entity with 440 employees. The spaceport will host a launch vehicle called Orbex Prime. The spaceport will be located on the A' Mhòine peninsula in Sutherland, Scotland. Construction is set to begin in late 2021, with a first launch as early as 2022.

Coordinates: 58.5107°N 4.5121°E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland_spaceport

This is further North than the USA's most northerly launch site (excluding Thule air base in Greenland)

The Pacific Spaceport Complex – Alaska (PSCA), formerly known as the Kodiak Launch Complex (KLC), is a dual-use commercial and military spaceport for sub-orbital and orbital launch vehicles. The facility is owned and operated by the Alaska Aerospace Corporation, a public corporation of the State of Alaska, and is located on Kodiak Island in Alaska.

Coordinates: 57.435833°N 152.337778°W
There was a failed launch to orbit attempt from there last week by Astra, interesting video
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/09 ... on-kodiak/

but it's not as far north as Kiruna

Esrange Space Center (short form Esrange) is a rocket range and research centre located about 40 kilometers east of the town of Kiruna in northern Sweden.

Coordinates: 67°53′38″N 21°06′25″E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esrange

which in turn is not as far North as Svalbard

The Svalbard Rocket Range or SvalRak as it is named, is a launch site for sounding rockets at Ny-Ålesund in Svalbard, Norway. The site has been in use since 1997 and is owned by Andøya Space Center, which is owned by the Norwegian Ministry of Trade, Industry and Fisheries and the Kongsberg Group. SvalRak's location at the 79th parallel north makes it well-suited for launching rockets to investigate Earth's magnetic field. It is used mostly by American, Japanese and Norwegian researchers. It is the world's northernmost launch site.

Coordinates: 78°55′53″N 11°51′01″E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Rocket_Range
I'm not sure that they have put anything into orbit from here.

Norway has another launch facility slightly north of Kiruna

Andøya Space Center, formerly named Andøya Rocket Range, is a rocket launch site, rocket range, and spaceport on Andøya island (the northernmost in the Vesterålen archipelago) in Andøy Municipality in Nordland county, Norway. Since 1962, over 1,200 sounding and sub-orbital rockets of various configurations have been launched from the site.

Coordinates: 69°17′39″N 16°01′15″E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And%C3%B8ya_Space_Center

The most southerly rocket launch facility is in New Zealand north island

Mahia Peninsula (Maori: Māhia or Te Māhia) is located on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island, in the Hawke's Bay region, between the cities of Napier and Gisborne. Rocket Lab has set up its Launch Complex 1 close to Ahuriri Point at the southern tip of the peninsula to launch its Electron rocket. Test launches of the Electron started in 2017. During regular operations, it will be used as a commercial launcher of small satellites in the range of 135–235 kg, and miniature satellites called CubeSats. New Zealand's first orbital space launch took place from Launch Complex 1 on 21 January 2018.

Coordinates: 39°09′S 177°54′E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahia_Peninsula

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... unch_sites

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 15th, 2020, 3:44 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident
Andøya Rocket Range
Bit risky with Boris in charge (Yeltsin, that is)

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 15th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Snorvey wrote:Kiruna isn't in the UK though. Which is kinda the point.

But will Scotland still be in the UK in a few years?

(oooh!)

VRD

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » September 18th, 2020, 8:04 am

.......... with a good measure of wow stirred in.

Today it is 50 years since Jimi Hendrix tragically died. WTF did a half century time span evapoate away to? I can only assume that I must have blinked on several occasions.
People who were around when Kennedy stopped a bullet are supposedly able to remember where they were when they heard the news. I have no idea where I was.
I do, however, remember exactly where I was when I heard of Hendrix's unfortunate death. :cry:

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 18th, 2020, 8:16 am

panamagold wrote:People who were around when Kennedy stopped a bullet are supposedly able to remember where they were when they heard the news.

Sitting in front of the television in the living room watching a trailer for a new programme starting the next day called Dr Who, which was interrupted by the news flash, and after it running into the kitchen to tell my mum that President Kennedy had been assassinated, a new word to me at the time. :)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 24th, 2020, 10:13 am

First real frost of the season this morning in central Scotland. Would have had to scrape the car windows if I'd needed to be away early.

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 24th, 2020, 10:23 am

swill453 wrote:First real frost of the season this morning in central Scotland. Would have had to scrape the car windows if I'd needed to be away early.

Scott.

Yes - the heater on full blast in the car this morning (at the gentlemanly hour of 9:30am)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 24th, 2020, 11:09 am

swill453 wrote:First real frost of the season this morning in central Scotland. Would have had to scrape the car windows if I'd needed to be away early.

Scott.

But not really enough frost to make you go ooooh so off-topic for this thread :lol:

--kiloran

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 24th, 2020, 11:13 am

kiloran wrote:

But not really enough frost to make you go ooooh so off-topic for this thread :lol:

My wife did.

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 24th, 2020, 2:08 pm

kiloran wrote:

Scott.

--kiloran

Minus 5 at Altnaharra
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-54278543

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » September 24th, 2020, 8:35 pm

La La La La, can we stop all the talk about frost please. My runner beans are cropping magnificently for the first time this year. The last thing I need is a frost.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 24th, 2020, 11:39 pm

sg31 wrote:La La La La, can we stop all the talk about frost please. My runner beans are cropping magnificently for the first time this year. The last thing I need is a frost.

Delicious, and back on-topic for the thread title ;) . Though isn't it a little late in the season for them?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 25th, 2020, 8:54 am

My tomatoes are still green. I'm getting concerned. Perhaps they will end up as chutney

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » September 25th, 2020, 10:52 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
sg31 wrote:La La La La, can we stop all the talk about frost please. My runner beans are cropping magnificently for the first time this year. The last thing I need is a frost.

Delicious, and back on-topic for the thread title ;) . Though isn't it a little late in the season for them?

Not at all. I usually have them cropping until the first frost in November, One year I was still getting a few beans well into December but that was an exception. Last night I collected a carrier bag full. The neighbours get any surplus.

The secret is to sow twice. The first lot go outside in late May or early June, the second in mid July . The first start to slow up production about now but the second are now in full flow. The second sowing is what extends the season.

Each sowing consists of 22 plants, I should sow less really but there are a lot of elderly people who appreciate them.

* it can be difficult to get the second sowing to germinate, in a hot spell it is possible only 20% will germinate outside. I have resorted to sowing them in my garage where it is generally a bit cooler.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”