Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,mark88man,stirlo,johnstevens77,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
servodude
Lemon Quarter

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby servodude » September 4th, 2020, 10:01 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Snorvey wrote:He ran up each mountain before running, walking, cycling or kayaking to the next one.

Interesting logistics there: a bike and a kayak to deal with? How does he transport one (not to mention the camping/survival gear implied by several weeks out) when using the other?

Assuming it's not a massive cheat, with sherpas doing all the work?

Even if "someone" has left the necessary self propelled vehicle in a convenient location.. it's a lot less massive cheat than my three peaks challenge as a student

-sd

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 4th, 2020, 10:28 am

You have to read the article.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 4th, 2020, 10:57 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Snorvey wrote:He ran up each mountain before running, walking, cycling or kayaking to the next one.

Interesting logistics there: a bike and a kayak to deal with? How does he transport one (not to mention the camping/survival gear implied by several weeks out) when using the other?

His wife supported him with a campervan

--kiloran

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 4th, 2020, 11:17 am

kiloran wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

His wife supported him with a campervan

--kiloran

So a wife is clearly more important than a team of sherpas :)
Mind you - even if I could persuade my wife to play the part, I doubt whether I'd make it up one Munro - especially if there was a trout loch on the way.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 8th, 2020, 9:26 am

I see the Chinese are busy having backslapping parties and ceremonies congratulating themselves on how they dealt with the Coronavirus.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 12th, 2020, 9:40 am

I've just spent mucho time in the loft adding great big thick insulation. Save the planet. Save on bills and all that.

In the process I've had to move around / clear out a ton of accumulated crap before laying down the insulation.

So while looking for a replacement (insulated) loft hatch on Amazon, in the bit that says Customers who viewed this item also viewed, I realsied I could have saved myself a great deal of grief by purchasing a him n hers....

Lhlxs 90% Duck Down Winter Fashions Long Down Jacket Mens Waterproof Streetwear Feather Coat Hooded Warm Men Clothing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lhlxs-Fashions ... fkmr1&th=1

....plus a few spares for posh dinner party guests. Sorted!

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 13th, 2020, 9:05 pm

I couldn't bring myself to watch Attenborough's 'Extinction' tonight and turned over after a few minutes.

We're killing everything. It's so sad.

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Postby bungeejumper » September 14th, 2020, 8:40 am

Snorvey wrote:I couldn't bring myself to watch Attenborough's 'Extinction' tonight and turned over after a few minutes.

We're killing everything. It's so sad.

Me neither. I took one look and thought, I can't handle this right now. Not with Trump and Boris and Covid-19 and the UK breaking international law, and the economy going down the pan, and all at the same time. And when I turned it on there was some shouty twelve year old telling us adults that it was all our fault, and she wasn't even the usual cabbage patch kid.

I'll give the programme another go in a month's time, honestly I will. I'm going to need a stiff drink first, though.

BJ

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 14th, 2020, 9:37 am

It was the scene at the beginning where monkeys were flinging themselves into a river to escape a raging forest fire that got to me (and I know forest fires occur naturally....but)

I recall an earlier clip, maybe from another program, that showed a clip of an Orangutan trying to fight off a JCB / deforestation machine. Very upsetting. I know people have to make a living too, but this wholesale destruction of everything natural (dotted with token efforts to 'save' the environment) is really, really depressing.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 14th, 2020, 10:34 am

Definitely an oooh when I read the notes in the self-catering accommodation in which we stayed last week on Mull.
The notes reminded us that if we displayed Covid-19 symptoms, it was government policy that we should return home immediately. However it was Calmac policy that no persons with Covid-19 symptoms were allowed to travel on their ferries between Mull and the mainland. A nice catch 22.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 14th, 2020, 10:43 am

Tony Blair criticising the UK Government for breaking international law......

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 14th, 2020, 10:59 am

Snorvey wrote:Tony Blair criticising the UK Government for breaking international law......

Snorvey bringing in politics (albeit the kind of comment we'd all already thought privately).

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 14th, 2020, 11:47 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Snorvey wrote:Tony Blair criticising the UK Government for breaking international law......

Snorvey bringing in politics (albeit the kind of comment we'd all already thought privately).

More a criticism of the man rather than his politics.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 14th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Snorvey wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

More a criticism of the man rather than his politics.

Indeedie. I will routinely point to hypocrisy in our politicians, even when (as with Blair in this instance) they're saying something that's entirely right. For example, a recent rant on the double-standards of our government attacking China over Hong Kong while locking people up for trivia here.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 14th, 2020, 3:52 pm

There are things that are blindingly obvious to me. Things like adding road tax to fuel (or just generally simplifying the whole tax & benefits regime )

.....or, for example in the nearby market town there is, either side of the town centre, a single carriageway road to the north and a single carriageway to the south. Both routes are peppered with roundabouts (as is the norm these day), junctions and splitter lanes meaning that any traffic traversing the town from east to west (or vice versa) takes an age resulting in mucho pollution, noise and increased danger at each of the junctions.

So my suggestion to my MP (Dougie Ross, Conservative) is why not make both roads one way,? Seems obvious to me - and much cheaper than a bypass. he told me to relay my thoughts to the council.

Aye right.
Anyway, the thing that is most blindingly obvious to me is that folk are gurning about the rule of 6 - or whatever the latest COVID 19 control wheeze is.

Young folk, quite understandably imho, are frustrated. they want to party and they ain't really affected by the virus.

......So why don't the government restrict/lockdown the movement of the over 60's (and other vulnerables) and let the rest of the population get on with things?

Obvious.

Innit?

sunnyjoe
2 Lemon pips

Postby sunnyjoe » September 14th, 2020, 4:09 pm

servodude wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:There's a very good reason space pads tend to be situated near the equator. Putting one in Scotland would seem to suggest politics trumps science yet again!

The only reason I can think of is the amount of fuel to get it into orbit.

... .but that doesn't matter because our satellites will go around the up and down way, not the across way.

Those ones are sh*te!

I had to use the Orbcomm LEO cluster for a telemetry project once getting data from the rear end of NZ.
- if you got the info on to satellite heading the wrong direction you wouldn't know until it had reached Alaska a few hours later (the other way took a few minutes to see a station in Australia)
- data plan was only $2.50 a month and $22 per KByte of data (which was about 10p per character at the time)

- sd

If you launch near the equator you save fuel (or increase payload) for equatorial and low inclination orbits .

If you launch closer to the poles then you save fuel (or increase payload) for polar, sun-synchronous and other high inclination orbits. Scottish launches could be useful for some satellite operators

servodude
Lemon Quarter

Postby servodude » September 15th, 2020, 1:07 am

sunnyjoe wrote:If you launch closer to the poles then you save fuel (or increase payload) for polar, sun-synchronous and other high inclination orbits. Scottish launches could be useful for some satellite operators

If Scotland works wouldn't Kiruna work better?
My old flat mate moved there to work with the sat' controllers in mid 90's. I think they stopped launching about a decade later.

-sd

sunnyjoe
2 Lemon pips

Postby sunnyjoe » September 15th, 2020, 2:04 pm

servodude wrote:
sunnyjoe wrote:If you launch closer to the poles then you save fuel (or increase payload) for polar, sun-synchronous and other high inclination orbits. Scottish launches could be useful for some satellite operators

My old flat mate moved there to work with the sat' controllers in mid 90's. I think they stopped launching about a decade later.

-sd

Yes Kiruna should be better than Sutherland for such orbits.

The Sutherland spaceport, also known as Space Hub Sutherland or UKVL Sutherland, is a planned to be the first spaceport of the United Kingdom. It would be operated by a commercial entity with 440 employees. The spaceport will host a launch vehicle called Orbex Prime. The spaceport will be located on the A' Mhòine peninsula in Sutherland, Scotland. Construction is set to begin in late 2021, with a first launch as early as 2022.

Coordinates: 58.5107°N 4.5121°E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland_spaceport

This is further North than the USA's most northerly launch site (excluding Thule air base in Greenland)

The Pacific Spaceport Complex – Alaska (PSCA), formerly known as the Kodiak Launch Complex (KLC), is a dual-use commercial and military spaceport for sub-orbital and orbital launch vehicles. The facility is owned and operated by the Alaska Aerospace Corporation, a public corporation of the State of Alaska, and is located on Kodiak Island in Alaska.

Coordinates: 57.435833°N 152.337778°W
There was a failed launch to orbit attempt from there last week by Astra, interesting video
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/09 ... on-kodiak/

but it's not as far north as Kiruna

Esrange Space Center (short form Esrange) is a rocket range and research centre located about 40 kilometers east of the town of Kiruna in northern Sweden.

Coordinates: 67°53′38″N 21°06′25″E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esrange

which in turn is not as far North as Svalbard

The Svalbard Rocket Range or SvalRak as it is named, is a launch site for sounding rockets at Ny-Ålesund in Svalbard, Norway. The site has been in use since 1997 and is owned by Andøya Space Center, which is owned by the Norwegian Ministry of Trade, Industry and Fisheries and the Kongsberg Group. SvalRak's location at the 79th parallel north makes it well-suited for launching rockets to investigate Earth's magnetic field. It is used mostly by American, Japanese and Norwegian researchers. It is the world's northernmost launch site.

Coordinates: 78°55′53″N 11°51′01″E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Rocket_Range
I'm not sure that they have put anything into orbit from here.

Norway has another launch facility slightly north of Kiruna

Andøya Space Center, formerly named Andøya Rocket Range, is a rocket launch site, rocket range, and spaceport on Andøya island (the northernmost in the Vesterålen archipelago) in Andøy Municipality in Nordland county, Norway. Since 1962, over 1,200 sounding and sub-orbital rockets of various configurations have been launched from the site.

Coordinates: 69°17′39″N 16°01′15″E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And%C3%B8ya_Space_Center

The most southerly rocket launch facility is in New Zealand north island

Mahia Peninsula (Maori: Māhia or Te Māhia) is located on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island, in the Hawke's Bay region, between the cities of Napier and Gisborne. Rocket Lab has set up its Launch Complex 1 close to Ahuriri Point at the southern tip of the peninsula to launch its Electron rocket. Test launches of the Electron started in 2017. During regular operations, it will be used as a commercial launcher of small satellites in the range of 135–235 kg, and miniature satellites called CubeSats. New Zealand's first orbital space launch took place from Launch Complex 1 on 21 January 2018.

Coordinates: 39°09′S 177°54′E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahia_Peninsula

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... unch_sites

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 15th, 2020, 3:15 pm

servodude wrote:

-sd

Kiruna isn't in the UK though. Which is kinda the point. I guess if we really wanted to do Equitorial launched then we could build something on Ascension.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 15th, 2020, 3:44 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident
Andøya Rocket Range
Bit risky with Boris in charge (Yeltsin, that is)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”