Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to uspaul666,WrongLicence388,CryptoPlankton,Anonymous,Instep, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby scotia » December 9th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Snorvey wrote:To be fair, the thought of being trapped in Wick at anytime of the year would scare the hell out of me.

My (now) wife discussed this problem with a friend when they both travelled south to go to University. What would they do with a boyfriend from distant lands that they might meet at University? How would they best introduce him to the delights of Wick? It was agreed that it was the journey up to Wick through much blasted heath (maybe that included Lossie) that would put them off. So I was flown up for my first visit to that gem of the far North. It clearly worked - we have been married for over 50 years.
Now, being a supporter of the Scorries, I have to feel pity on Lossie, languishing at the bottom of the league, just above Fort William :D .
And back to the thread - Wick is at Latitude 58.44 degrees North. That is about 7 degrees north of London, and less than 3 degrees south of Anchorage, Alaska.

genou
Lemon Slice

Postby genou » December 9th, 2019, 5:03 pm

scotia wrote: It was agreed that it was the journey up to Wick through much blasted heath (maybe that included Lossie) that would put them off. .

I cannot imagine anywhere to start from, where getting to Wick would involve passing through Lossie. Unless you are very,very lost. Or you really like beaches.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » December 9th, 2019, 6:26 pm

genou wrote:
scotia wrote: It was agreed that it was the journey up to Wick through much blasted heath (maybe that included Lossie) that would put them off. .

I cannot imagine anywhere to start from, where getting to Wick would involve passing through Lossie. Unless you are very,very lost. Or you really like beaches.

Or, as is the case at the moment, you like looking at beaches from across the water. Until Nicola stumps up the cash she promised for a new bridge.

Luckily we have more than one beach. The only thing is, the other one is quite prone to Typhoons.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 9th, 2019, 6:51 pm

When I was doing my National Service, a comrade hailed from Helmsdale. He used to get 2 extra days travelling time on a 36 hour pass, because he could only get to Perth on the first day. A similar problem coming back south. Not sure how far he could get, but somewhere in the Scottish lowlands, I fancy.

TJH

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 9th, 2019, 8:55 pm

genou wrote:

We used to drive north from Central Scotland, avoiding the old A9 with its interminable crawling convoys as far as was possible. You could go up to Crieff, through the Sma Glen, and pass Trinafour before you were forced onto the A9. You could take to the back roads again at Ruthven Barracks, and get up to Aviemore - where we usually cracked and continued north on the A9 to Inverness. But you can continue via Coylumbridge to Grantown, then on to Elgin and the beach at Lossie (for a picnic?), before turning west to Inverness. You could further avoid the A9 by taking the Kessock Ferry (which we did once) and get back on the A9 at Conon Bridge. Then there was the shortcut over Struie Hill, and onto Bonar Bridge - and after that there were no further detours.
When we were young and unencumbered with kids, we could make it a 2-day trip, and we took time to visit points of interest, including Walkers in Aberlour (who made our wedding cake), so we did get close to Lossie!

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » December 9th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Bloody hell.

What were you driving? Cattle?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 9th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Snorvey wrote:Bloody hell.
What were you driving? Cattle?

No - initially a rather elderly Ford Anglia with a rather limited performance - so there was no escape from sitting in a long slow A9 convoy.
In later years with young children (and a more modern car) we drove up overnight, but had to top up with petrol on route. I recollect there was a garage in Carrbridge with un-manned pumps which dispensed petrol on being fed with fifty pence pieces.
But with significant road improvements and the bridging of the Beauly, Cromarty and Dornoch Firths the journey became less taxing in daylight hours.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 9th, 2019, 10:05 pm

tjh290633 wrote:When I was doing my National Service, a comrade hailed from Helmsdale. He used to get 2 extra days travelling time on a 36 hour pass, because he could only get to Perth on the first day. A similar problem coming back south. Not sure how far he could get, but somewhere in the Scottish lowlands, I fancy.

TJH

In winter time (around 48 years ago), we used to take the train from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Inverness, then we had a substantial wait before we could board a train to Wick. It took all day, whereas my parents could fly from Scotland to Vancouver quicker that we could travel (by rail) from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Wick. Before the dramatic rise in Oil prices (around 1974?) flying between Wick and Edinburgh (with a landing in Aberdeen) was almost as cheap as using the railway, but it could be unreliable. I recollect waiting at Edinburgh Airport for my wife (then my girl friend) to arrive back after the University Easter vacation. Fog prevented it landing, so it diverted to Renfrew (Glasgow), where again fog was a problem, so it continued to Prestwick, and circled, waiting for the fog to disperse - with the warning from the captain that he may need to divert to Belfast. They (eventually) landed at Prestwick, and a bus took them to Edinburgh.

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » December 10th, 2019, 6:28 am

Snorvey wrote:(and don't you mean latitude?!)

Probably. I always get then mixed up.

It's one of the tudes anyway.

Latitude has an 'a' in it. 'a' for 'across'.

You're welcome.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 10th, 2019, 9:04 am

AndyPandy wrote:
Snorvey wrote:(and don't you mean latitude?!)

Probably. I always get then mixed up.

It's one of the tudes anyway.

Latitude has an 'a' in it. 'a' for 'across'.

You're welcome.

But it also has a u in it which could mean up

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Postby bungeejumper » December 10th, 2019, 9:38 am

scotia wrote:
AndyPandy wrote:Latitude has an 'a' in it. 'a' for 'across'.

But it also has a u in it which could mean up

Not to mention a d. :(

I find these helpful rules work best when there isn't an a in the day of the week.

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 10th, 2019, 9:52 am

If you can remember your own name you can remember lat/long
OK, if you have to check a slip of paper in your wallet when asked for your name, you may struggle

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 10th, 2019, 10:57 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:If you can remember your own name you can remember lat/long
OK, if you have to check a slip of paper in your wallet when asked for your name, you may struggle

A name label inside one's jacket is also helpful
(edit - I changed the "your" to "one's" - just in case it looked personal :) )

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 10th, 2019, 12:10 pm

scotia wrote:But it also has a u in it which could mean up

Needs the u to fit the thread title.

I'll get me coat. If only I can remember my own name, so I know what label to look for.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » December 14th, 2019, 12:56 pm

More of an 'oh' than an 'Oooh'.

Retrieving dead bodies from around active volcano.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » December 14th, 2019, 2:18 pm

scotia wrote:Ah - but when you reach an over-mature age, and you are with your GP who is testing your mental abilities - how will you answer the question - which side is your filler cap on? That one comes just before he asks you to count down from 100 in steps of 7.

I would be more worried if my GP asked me "what side do you dress, Sir" - unless my mental abilities has degenerated so much that I has confused him with my tailor.

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Postby bungeejumper » December 14th, 2019, 2:52 pm

stewamax wrote:I would be more worried if my GP asked me "what side do you dress, Sir".

I think I'd be inclined to say "DRESS? The wild side, of course. And what's all this Sir business?" Ought to shut him up for a minute or two. :lol:

BJ

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » December 14th, 2019, 7:58 pm

bungeejumper wrote:And what's all this Sir business?" Ought to shut him up for a minute or two

Respect Sir, respect. Too much informality these days. Comes of sparing the rod etc.
When I was young, a damned good flogging never came amiss.
My hero is Eton's Dr Keate (qv).

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 14th, 2019, 8:42 pm

stewamax wrote:Respect Sir, respect. Too much informality these days.

Its changed days - but I draw the line when the prostate consultant tries to shake my hand. You never know where its been - well actually, you do.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » December 18th, 2019, 5:23 pm

A toilet designed to slope downwards slightly, making it uncomfortable to sit on for more than a few minutes, has been pooh-poohed on social media.

The toilet design has an upper surface that slopes downwards at a 13-degree angle.

Reverse Cowboy would sort that out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50835604

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”